Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

grading question... i just dont get it

I am having a very hard time telling how grading companies have not collapsed yet.... i have been searching on ebay looking for PSA 10's of recent cards and they arent hard to find... i recently won 2 of them for under 5 bucks and one was a ichiro RC... i also got a brian anderson RC for like 3 dlvd... does anyone know why someone would put more just into grading than they will sell the card for... it isnt like they thought it would come back a 10 and it came back an 8.... these are the highest quality cards on the market (supposedly) yet fetch far less than the cost of grading... i understand vintage grading but why would anyone grade some of those cards that sell for 99 cents?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That's a question I'd like to know too. Me personally, I don't own a single graded card out of a 500,000+ card collection. I never understood why people would pay so much to have someone grade a card and then not have the cards "sale value" increase.

i bought them more for investment purposes... i would never pay for a card to be graded unless it was a key card in history

4. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    you can get a HUGE break on the price of grading when sending in bulk, which is what alot of people do

ya but by the time you get the card, grade it, pay for shipping it doesnt matter how much of a break you get... even if you pay 3.00 a card to sell an ichiro rc PSA 10 for 5 dlvd cant be making him any money.... i got a brian anderson for 3 bucks.. that is what it costs to ship it with insurance

I get cards graded for personal collection and only use SGC or SGC/JSA to get my TTM autographs authenticated. Easier to keep up with. It's not the grading companies staying in business, it's the people who get cards graded and their reason for getting them graded. That's who lose money.

right but i would think the people who got them graded would stop after losing money out the butt on cards... i know you get a discount but there is still no way he could be making money on these

Quote Originally Posted by tutall
    ya but by the time you get the card, grade it, pay for shipping it doesnt matter how much of a break you get... even if you pay 3.00 a card to sell an ichiro rc PSA 10 for 5 dlvd cant be making him any money.... i got a brian anderson for 3 bucks.. that is what it costs to ship it with insurance
    you paid $5.25 for the anderson dlvd, right?? 2.25 plus 3 ship....you definately paid more for it graded than you can buy it raw....im sure that when people send in bulk, they have A TON of nice stuff, along with some cheap stuff like this that will sell for more graded then raw.....if you make $50-$100 on each of the nicer graded cards, then its not a big deal to the seller....not saying that is what your seller does, but i know that what alot of dealers i know do

i understand that... but why not wait to send stuff in until you get some higher end stuff and not waste the money on the brian andersons etc... on the ichiro i spent about the same... a raw ichiro sells for about 3.00 dlvd

if you take out the extra for shipping graded vs raw, about 30-40 cents and the costs included in grading it equals wasting your time

alright, check this out.....you get a break at 100 cards....say you have 80 high end cards to get graded....you just find 20 cards of players that are popular and cheap and send them along with the other 80....they will still sell for more than if they were raw (you paid about double for your anderson/ichiro) and you can make thousands on the high end stuff, you saved about 2 dollars/card in grading fees so you actually come out on top

100 cards @ $6 each for grading......$600
    80 cards @ $8 each for grading.......$640

then, you are getting 2x raw CV on the cheap stuff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast