Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

LOL I'm sure the vast Molson empire can figure out a way to make the salary fit somehow. Markov and Plekanec will be gone, probably Emelin as well, and Galchenyuk's horrible showing in the past two weeks probably cost him at least a million dollars per season. Whatever the number is, Montreal will make it work. That statement is as foolish as saying that Pittsburgh can't afford Crosby on his next contract - when it's the Hart and soul of your team, you make it happen.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See notoriousrob101's Items on eBay

Post of the year award

*****LeafsMan

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

@notoriousrob101 Thanks!

@RGM81 With a salary cap, you simply cannot mortgage the future to bring in top players anymore. Unless the general manager (whoever it will be next year) learns how to draft well, I don't see Montreal competing as they once did. This has been another issue. Here are the selections since Bergevin became the GM in 2012:

Alex Galchenyuk
    Sebastian Collberg (gone back to Sweden)
    Dalton Thrower (ECHL)
    Tim Bozon (ECHL)
    Brady Vail (ECHL)
    Charles Hudon (back and forth between AHL/NHL, fringe player at best)
    Erik Nystrom (Sweden)

Michael McCarron (7 points in 51 NHL games - underwhelming for a top pick)
    Jacob De La Rose (7 points in 64 NHL games)
    Zachary Fucale (ECHL)
    Artturi Lehkonen (This guy has a future. A+ for that pick)
    Connor Crisp (ECHL)
    Sven Andrighetto (traded to Colorado, for whatever reason. I thought he was decent)
    Martin Reway (talented, but has a career-threatening heart problem)
    Jeremy Gregoire (AHL)

Nikita Scherbak (1 goal in 3 NHL games, played well in the AHL. Could do well, given a chance)
    Brett Lernout (nothing in 3 NHL games)
    Nikolas Koberstein (US college)
    Daniel Audette (AHL)
    Hayden Hawkey (US college)
    Jake Evans (US college)

Noah Juulsen (WHL)
    Lukas Vejdemo (Sweden)
    Matt Bradley (WHL)
    Simon Bourque (QMJHL, 3 AHL games in between)
    Jeremiah Addison (OHL, 4 AHL games with 1 assist in between)

Mikhail Sergachev (OHL, 4 NHL games with no points in between, bright future if he works out)
    William Bitten (OHL)
    Victor Mete (OHL)
    Casey Staum (USHL)
    Michael Pezzetta (OHL)
    Arvid Henrikson (Sweden)

Had they drafted well, I think Montreal would have been fine with losing the likes of Plekanec, Emelin, and possibly Price. Unfortunately, there is not much in the prospect pipeline in the way of affordable, top-end talent, as you can see.

Toronto was terrible for decades and was guilty of missing out on drafting amazing players like Scott Niedermayer and Roberto Luongo because they continuously tried to make a playoff push at the last minute and mortgaged the future for veteran help to do it, and it never got them a cup. During the last year or two, I sense a bright future for the Maple Leafs, because they finally figured out what to do - bring in quality people with knowledgeable hockey minds, tear it down and build through the draft. Couple that with solid signings, and I am, at long last, a happy Leafs fan.

I think Montreal needs new management because Bergevin's idea of a winning team just doesn't cut it.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

@notoriousrob101 Thanks!

@RGM81 With a salary cap, you simply cannot mortgage the future to bring in top players anymore. Unless the general manager (whoever it will be next year) learns how to draft well, I don't see Montreal competing as they once did. This has been another issue. Here are the selections since Bergevin became the GM in 2012:

Alex Galchenyuk
    Sebastian Collberg (gone back to Sweden)
    Dalton Thrower (ECHL)
    Tim Bozon (ECHL)
    Brady Vail (ECHL)
    Charles Hudon (back and forth between AHL/NHL, fringe player at best)
    Erik Nystrom (Sweden)

Michael McCarron (7 points in 51 NHL games - underwhelming for a top pick)
    Jacob De La Rose (7 points in 64 NHL games)
    Zachary Fucale (ECHL)
    Artturi Lehkonen (This guy has a future. A+ for that pick)
    Connor Crisp (ECHL)
    Sven Andrighetto (traded to Colorado, for whatever reason. I thought he was decent)
    Martin Reway (talented, but has a career-threatening heart problem)
    Jeremy Gregoire (AHL)

Nikita Scherbak (1 goal in 3 NHL games, played well in the AHL. Could do well, given a chance)
    Brett Lernout (nothing in 3 NHL games)
    Nikolas Koberstein (US college)
    Daniel Audette (AHL)
    Hayden Hawkey (US college)
    Jake Evans (US college)

Noah Juulsen (WHL)
    Lukas Vejdemo (Sweden)
    Matt Bradley (WHL)
    Simon Bourque (QMJHL, 3 AHL games in between)
    Jeremiah Addison (OHL, 4 AHL games with 1 assist in between)

Mikhail Sergachev (OHL, 4 NHL games with no points in between, bright future if he works out)
    William Bitten (OHL)
    Victor Mete (OHL)
    Casey Staum (USHL)
    Michael Pezzetta (OHL)
    Arvid Henrikson (Sweden)

Had they drafted well, I think Montreal would have been fine with losing the likes of Plekanec, Emelin, and possibly Price. Unfortunately, there is not much in the prospect pipeline in the way of affordable, top-end talent, as you can see.

Toronto was terrible for decades and was guilty of missing out on drafting amazing players like Scott Niedermayer and Roberto Luongo because they continuously tried to make a playoff push at the last minute and mortgaged the future for veteran help to do it, and it never got them a cup. During the last year or two, I sense a bright future for the Maple Leafs, because they finally figured out what to do - bring in quality people with knowledgeable hockey minds, tear it down and build through the draft. Couple that with solid signings, and I am, at long last, a happy Leafs fan.

I think Montreal needs new management because Bergevin's idea of a winning team just doesn't cut it.

I totally agree with this. Montreal can't draft worth crap. Their first choices are always busts, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Chipchura to name a few. They're not a good team and have a well below average group of young players. I think it's time to rebuilt, too many big signings coming up. I don't think you can win a cup paying a goaltender 10 million$. I think that kind of money should go on offense. They'res a lot of good teams in the league with goaltenders in the 3-5 millions$ range, I think this is plenty of money for a goalie, a lot of good ones out there. They need to get their hands on a first line center, that won't be easy. Can't wait to see what happens in the offseason, if nothing happens, fans will start being very uppset.
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

@10-4 collector In order to get a first-line center, the draft is the only way Montreal can get one, because as I have shown above, they don't have the assets to trade for one

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country

@10-4 collector In order to get a first-line center, the draft is the only way Montreal can get one, because as I have shown above, they don't have the assets to trade for one

Yes, I agree, that's why I said it wont be easy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Who is picking for them in the draft? Looks alot like the same guy or guys who have been drafting for the Leafs for the last 2 decades. Bergevin wasnt a very good player & it looks as though he was a better player than a Manager. I agree, he has to go & I am sure the Habs fans will be calling for his head on a platter if it hasn't started already.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country

Who is picking for them in the draft? Looks alot like the same guy or guys who have been drafting for the Leafs for the last 2 decades. Bergevin wasnt a very good player & it looks as though he was a better player than a Manager. I agree, he has to go & I am sure the Habs fans will be calling for his head on a platter if it hasn't started already.

It's Trevor Timmins, he should go too.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

There's no doubt about it, Mr. Molson has some big, tough decisions to make this summer!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Appreciate the insights from my Leafs fan friends as to how an organization should be run.

The problem we have with the draft is that the picks have almost always been late first-round, where it's often a crap shoot. Since our team doesn't tank, we don't get the luxury of drafting the highest-end talent and accordingly not all of the picks work out to become star players. We also don't trade our top prospects to the Bruins (we prefer the Rangers, thank you very much).

Timmons has one of the better draft records out there as far as scouting--he's not perfect and make no mistake about Louis Leblanc, that was a politically-motivated choice. If the draft wasn't in Montreal that year, there's no way they take him. You can take a look at a lot of teams that regularly draft in the 15-20 spots and say, oh this guy will never make it, should have taken so-and-so, never will make it, etc. Hindsight is always 20-20 and selecting 18-year old kids to play in the top hockey league in the world is hard work. But because it's Montreal, there's always a spotlight on them, and even armchair GM's of other teams will always throw their two cents in. That's fine if that's how you want to spend your time, I guess.
    Last edited by RGM81; 04-24-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast