Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: My Second Anti Expo

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

My Second Anti Expo

Twice a year, a big card show called L’Anti Expo is held in Montreal, once in the spring (end of April, start of May) and once in the fall (normally October). I went last spring and had a blast so I decided to go back again this year. Unlike last time though, I purchased the VIP deluxe package ($25) which meant that I would get two 8x10 signed pictures (random players, you couldn't choose) one unsigned 8x10 picture of one of the guests signers but, more importantly, it also allowed me to go in at 9:00 AM instead of 10:00 AM when the show officially opened. So yesterday, on a very rainy Saturday morning, I got in my car at 6:30 AM and drove the 250 kilometres to Montreal. While it’s brutal to get up that early on a day off, you got to love the open road with no trafic whatsoever meaning that I got there at 8:30 and I was one of the first people to get there. It should be noted that the other VIP package could be had for 12$ and included an enveloppe of mystery cards with a book value between $20 and $100 and early access. Both package also came with a free spin on the wheel for the chance to win prizes (such as discounts at ACA Certification, Collect Edition or Robert Girard Sports or even a chance to enter a draw to win a signed Alexander Radulov jersey provided by Robert Girard Sports). It was also possible to get another spin by simply wearing your team’s colours.

In total this edition, there were 120 dealers set up with a very wide range of items, cards of course, autographed items, boxes of wax, supplies, you name it, it was there. It should also be noted that there were modern items as well as vintage stuff so collectors of all ages could find something that would tickle their fancy. As for guest signers, the following players were on the menu:

-Stéphan Lebeau
    -José Théodore
    -Phil Goyette
    -Jean-Guy Talbot
    -Andy Moog
    -Benoit Brunet
    -Rod Langway

Of course it’s a Habs heavy line-up but since the show is held in Montreal, no one should be surprised by this. However, I will say that past editions did have a better line-up with the likes of Billy Smith, Bobby Hull, Grant Fuhr and Ed Belfour to name a few. To be honest, none of the names from this edition made me want to wait in line to get something signed but that meant i have more budget for cards and other stuff. When the doors opened, I kind of felt like a horse at the race track, I had come with one goal in mind, finding the 5 SP Game Used Winter Classic net cords I was missing to have all of the Montreal Canadiens’ cards from the set. Sadly, it wasn’t to be...Try as I may, I failed to locate a single on of the 5 I needed. However, that is not to say I came home empty handed. There were plenty of others fantastic cards out there and another item I had seen last year but had no room for then... After I went around the whole room for the first time to try and find the elusive net cord cards, I slowed down and started looking for everything else. I stopped by Chris Bossy’s booth and he made me a good deal on an Alex Galchenyuk autographed card 1/5 as well as on a Carey Price printing plate 1 of 1 (it should be noted that this card wasn’t for me, but when you know the number 1 Price collector out there, you pick up the card for him and work it out later), I spotted a fantastic dual booklet featuring Galchenyuk and Gallagher at another booth and after a lot of haggling, I flipped all my trade bait (25 cards) for that one card and I walked away an happy customer. I then walked by the foundation Miriam booth ( a foundation whose mission is to help people with autism spectrum disorder and intellectual disabilities lead fulfilling lives) and saw that they were selling autograph items with the profits going to the foundation. A friend of mine recently had a son diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder and I couldn’t help but pick up something. I chose an autographed 8x10 picture of Alexander Radulov with COA which was something missing to my collection. I also stopped by Canadian Cards booth and said hi to the owner Ryan McMurdoch who had a nice Sportscardforum banner on display. I would have called the show a success had I walked away then but my main acquisition of the day was still to come.

I stopped by the Robert Girard Sports booth and my eyes instantly landed on a Patrick Roy autographed brick of the old Montreal Forum. I had spotted it last year but back then my collection display spot or my shrine as I call it, was full. Now though, I had added a lot of space to the shrine and I therefore had the perfect spot for such an awesome piece. Took me a few minutes to decide if I should go for the simple brick or the one that had the letters CH carved in it but in the end, I just had to go with the CH one as it just made it that much more spectacular. That purchase did set me back $250 but it was completely worth it. After that though, I pretty much ran out of there so that I wouldn’t spend anymore. Just staying at that booth could have been very expensive, it’s signed jerseys and frames galore and there’s also seats of the old Forum. For a Montreal Canadiens fan, it’s like heaven! Expensive heaven but still! Check out this picture from their booth last year.

Overall, it was another great show and a big success for l’Anti Expo, I might even have to go to the fall edition this year. If you do plan to attend, do your best to get there early though. Not only will you get first shot at the best cards but you’ll have a lot less trouble finding a parking spot...The event is becoming so successful that it’s almost outgrowing it’s setting at Collčge André-Grasset. Walking back to my car, I realized that I was followed by four people in their car hoping to get my spot and it wasn’t even noon yet. The show is still on today until 3:00 PM and the draw for the Radulov signed jersey will be held at 2:00 PM. Right now, I’m crossing my fingers and really hoping I get a call saying I won...it would help swallow the bitter pill that was the elimination of my Habs last night.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Thanks for sharing this! Awesome read with a ton of great photos, too! That Patrick Roy brick is very cool. I've never seen an autographed piece like that before. So nice! And the cardboard was also very nice as well. Congrats on this adventure, it sure was worth getting up so early !
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content