Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sidney Crosby’s concussion shakes Pittsburgh, and all of hockey

CRANBERRY TOWNSHIP, Pa. — The news wasn’t wholly unexpected, given the events of the preceding 16 hours or so. Yet it landed with the dead thud of a puck into pads.

“Sid’s been diagnosed with a concussion, and he will be out for tomorrow’s game, and we will evaluate him day-to-day from there.”\
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.b390d1291df8

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

One thing I can say about this is it is definitely the "talk of the town" within hockey circles right now. I work in an office building where there are lots of little mini chats that take place, and I bet over 20 different people have mentioned this since yesterday.

My opinion:

-Niskanen's crosscheck was incidental and essentially unavoidable given the circumstances (not intentional)
    -Ovechkin's 2-hand chop was vicious and really was the crime committed

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Definitely the talk of the hockey world right now, and rightfully so. Best player in the game out with another concussion.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Given his propensity to go around spearing and hacking other players perhaps this is just karma coming back to bite him. And of course there are no consequences for any of this stickwork anymore because no one wants an instigator penalty for fighting in the playoffs. I blame the Poison Dwarf from New York for what has happened to the game.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Really?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Given his propensity to go around spearing and hacking other players perhaps this is just karma coming back to bite him. And of course there are no consequences for any of this stickwork anymore because no one wants an instigator penalty for fighting in the playoffs. I blame the Poison Dwarf from New York for what has happened to the game.

Im sorry but karma? This is just a stupid statement. Every player gets hacked every game, including Crosby. Every player uses their stick for little spears and cross checks every game, including Crosby. Just because your home town boys finger exploded, and your owner is a complete tool, doesn't mean you have to follow suite.

Guy has concussion issues, not a sore finger or ribs, something he is unable to play through and could effect his way of life after the game .... KARMA, what a stupid thing to say. The head should be a no go zone, pretty simple .... whether its intentional or not, you hit the head you receive a suspension, whether the player is hurt or not. Eliminate all grey zone and say if you hit the head, its penalty "X".

Did you teach your kids that they are responsible for their actions when drunk or high? Or were you just waiting for KARMA to come and give them an unwanted child, maybe cause an accident that kills someone. Ovechkin and Niskanen should be held responsible for making contact with Crosbys head. The way the rules are now, I understand that Niskanens contact was unavoidable and Crosby was going down, there was not much he was able to do in the second or 2, and it totally was a hockey play. Just like Ovechkin giving him a hack as Crosby was going to the net, total hockey play and something you would expect him or any other player ( YES INCLUDING CROSBY ) to do in that situation.

But KARMA, for a guy to potentially get serious brain issues for the rest of his life, altering his way of life after he retires .... because he slashed or chopped or whatever u wanna call it ..... again, ill say is one of the dumbest comments ive read here in awhile.

I think that's what you were trying to say Richard with your "Really?" comment
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

We see plenty of Crosby games out east, and he really does get away with quite a bit because of who he is. I don't always agree with everything Don Cherry has to say but do you think it is mere coincidence that fighting is all but eliminated and we are seeing much more nasty stick work throughout the game and yes I blame Bettman.

Gary Roberts agrees: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/article/robert...ident-1.741680
    Last edited by piper1; 05-03-2017 at 06:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Here's another article relating to Sidney Crosby's injury and the risk of coming back too soon:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...uins-1.4096209

I must admit that I am not a fan of Sidney Crosby (or Alexander Ovechkin, for that matter) but the hit by Matt Niskanen on Crosby was legal with unfortunate consequences. I do worry for Crosby's future in the game, and in life. He is only 29 years old but he has sustained at least four documented concussions already:

January 2011: Hits by Dave Steckel in the Winter Classic outdoor game and the next game by Tampa Bay's Victor Hedman contributed to the first concussion.

December 2011: An elbow by David Krejci is believed to be the next concussion.

October 2016: An incident in practice caused the third concussion.

May 2017: The hit by Matt Niskanen brings the concussion count to four.

The more concussions he sustains, the more susceptible he is to easily sustain more.

Perhaps he should seriously entertain the thought of retirement. Risking more injury to a brain (that most likely is well on the way to resembling oatmeal) is not a good idea. Too many good players have been forced to retire due to concussions, and Sidney Crosby should not be the next. He should leave the game on his terms when he is ready. If he continues to play, I'm afraid he won't be able to do that

SCF Rewards
    Country

I like to see great players play but he's probably already at a point of too many concussions and will suffer the consequences from it. To play more and run the risk of even more is basically shortening the guys life or severely impairing it. A real shame because his life is more important than a game.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I would hate to see a career such as his ended early, but at this point it may be necessary. He's got cups, Hart, Art Ross, and is a sure fire hall of famer regardless. He's won it all, and there's nothing left unaccomplished. He now needs to worry about being able to lead a productive life after hockey...wife, kids etc. May be time to hang 'em up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast