Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

Postage- A Hobby Pain in the Wallet (CONTEST ENTRY)

Ah the good old days of trading and selling cards on line. The time was back in 1999 before the existence of SportsCard Forum when I first used the old message boards for trading and selling cards. Back then postage for a bubble mailer started at 49 cents. There were literally no restrictions on what trades made economic sense. Someone wanted to trade a $5.00 card for another $5.00 card? Sure, why not? There was no need to think twice about it.

Fast forward to the present day. The lightest package of cards shipped in a bubble mailer costs over $2.50 to send. Low end trades by mail have gone the way of the dinosaur. Why spend that much on postage if you could buy the card locally for one dollar. I know I am far from the only trader who has to think about the economics of postage before agreeing to a trade.

Years ago it was a rarity to hear traders saying “I only ship within the United States” or “ I am avoiding one for one trades because the postage is too high”. Nowadays it has become all too common.

Sending overseas? Forget it. All but the highest end deals no longer make economic sense as the postage for a bubble mailer is now basically ten dollars for those of us who reside in the United States.

There is no doubt that the internet trading portion of the card hobby has declined somewhat and the blame for this can be placed squarely on the 400% increase in the price of sending a bubble mailer over the last eighteen years.

I can recall the time period several years ago when it was not uncommon to see of SportsCard Forum multiple traders in one month with over 100 trades each. SCF even added a badge for traders who reached the century mark. In fact, my research indicates we have had one person reach the 100 trade mark in the last 39 months. As recently as July of 2009, in that one month alone three different trades on this site exceeded the century mark. And that as most of us recall, was during a very poor economic period all over the world. In that month of July 2009 SportsCard Forum had over 6600 transactions. Last month, April 2017, there were just over 1000.

I am certain that these changes are not 100% attributable to the severe hike in postage rates, but I would have to believe it if far and away the leading culprit.

A look at the website leader boards for the last several months reveals that in recent times the leading trade in a month will usually have fewer than fifty trades. It isn’t difficult to understand: how many of us can afford to spend $250.00 or more on postage in a single month? Not many of us, that’s for sure.

The only alternative for less expensive postage that still exists is the lowly plain white envelope which carries with it the stigma of an increased likelihood of cards arriving damaged. Even that method of shipping has experienced dramatic increases in cost percentage-wise.
    If the rates of postage continue to climb in the manner they have, (and the losses incurred by the Post Office would suggest this to be the case), the book value necessary for a trade to make sense will continue to rise. It would be interesting to know how the average dollar value of individual trades has changed over the years.
    As many trades as this industry generates, it is impossible to imagine the day when the Post Office drops its rates for bubble mailers because of the decline in volume. Simply put, this hobby lacks sufficient clout with the Post Office to make this occur.
    I understand that this phenomenon has impacted other hobbies and businesses as well. Although I do not frequent EBay, I would imagine that there are fewer low dollar items being sold there than fifteen years ago because of the steep climb in postage.
    Unfortunately, the situation has a disproportionately high effect on low end traders such as set collectors, and the younger members of our hobby. The kids who start out as low end traders often become the higher dollar traders who stay with the hobby and become higher end traders as they get older. The on-line opportunities for these traders have diminished and will very possibly continue to do so.
    So where do we go from here? It would not be surprising to see a resurgence in the popularity of local card shops and local card shows, both of which have dramatically declined in hobby importance since the rise of the Internet. While this in itself would not necessarily be a bad thing, to those of us who have become accustomed to trading without geographical limitations, it would feel like a step backward.
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Will edit and post this tomorrow, thanks for the submission!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Will edit and post this tomorrow, thanks for the submission!

Pheebs- Thank you!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Good article and yes where do we go from here. I don't have a card shop within 45 minutes from home but I would go if one opened closer to home!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Good article and yes where do we go from here. I don't have a card shop within 45 minutes from home but I would go if one opened closer to home!

Fortunately I have one fifteen minutes from home. However, I try to trade more than buy.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Posted here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...0#post14421200
    @scottkoz20 please send 250 RP to JFried1029

SCF Rewards
    Country

Pheebs- Thank you!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

paid

SCF Rewards
    Country

Scott- Thank you!