Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aweeks711's Items on eBay

Show & Tell Contest 9.0 - FINAL WEEK! (Leg 4 - A Season of Mystery!)

For more information and rules about this contest, please see this thread.

The theme for this week is: Best card with a story (Pick a card that has the best story of how you acquired it)

The theme will run from today until 11:59pm EST on Saturday, May 22nd, 2017

General Rules

1. You MUST post a new scan/picture of your card with your handwritten ID next to it in this thread.
    2. Only one submission per member per week.
    3. A card can only be submitted ONCE throughout the whole contest, so choose wisely.
    4. If you make a mistake, do NOT edit your post! Instead, create a new one, or your entry for the week will be disqualified. No exceptions.

* Any card that won in last years Show & Tell contest cannot be used again this year!

REMEMBER!
    EVERY entry will earn you 25cc!
    AND the more entries we get, the more points you can earn for our Season of Mystery contest!
    50+ entries in a week: 3 points to the winner, 2 to 2nd place, 1 for 3rd

20-49 entries: 2 points to the winner, 1 for 2nd place
    Under 20 entries: 1 point to the winner

And of course... Don't forget about the prize!

An autographed 8x10 of Guy Lafleur!!!

Thank you to our good friends at Players Choice Sportscards & Collectibles for providing us with this beautiful photo. Be sure to check out their Facebook page!

Good luck!

Inserting the image directly in your post:
    When viewing the card in your photobucket.. Look to the right. Under "Share this photo", copy the direct link and simply paste it here.

The winner of week 28's Show & Tell was @09232003! He will receive 50cc and 2 points in the standings. Second place goes to @johnse27, who will receive 1 point in the standings.
    Because we had less than 20 entries for week 28, 09232003 gets 1 point for our Season of Mystery contest.
    Please be sure to vote for Week 29's contest!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bimola's Items on eBay

I've never entered this category before, but, things have changed for me over the last year. Flashback to 1976 and I was fortunate to have a Dad who took his son to the occasional Leaf game at Maple Leaf Gardens. Hockey was a bond we enjoyed and we would make the 2 hour trek down to TO for the evening and I would sleep in the back seat on the way home. One of those nights happened to be Feb 7, 1976 - the night Darryl Sittler scored his infamous 10 points and there we were taking it all in. That was a special moment we shared and reminisced about many times. When ITG launched their Superlative Franchise set in 2011, I was lucky to pick up two Greatest moments cards that highlighted that special night - one for my collection and one that I gave to my Dad where he proudly displayed it in his basement 'office'. Unfortunately, I lost my Dad to cancer last summer, however, the memory of experiencing that historic moment will live on with me forever. The card below is the copy I gave to him back in 2011 - it is now back in my collection and will be displayed together from now on as a tribute to the moment we shared.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

Wow! If you don't win with that story! Awesome!
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Wow. Such a great and heartfelt story. Thanks for sharing those memories.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well, I can't compete with a guy and his dad (especially because my mom wouldn't let me go to Seals games when I was a kid because she thought hockey was too violent ). But I do have a good story. I got reintroduced to card collecting in 1989, just in time for the industry to try killing itself with over-production. So I wasted a LOT of money in the early 90s, just like everyone else. Even by the mid-90s when we were realizing that we weren't all going to retire early by investing in cards, I still couldn't resist. Sometime during the 96-97 season, I was going to go to a show, and I asked one of my hockey buds if he wanted to go. He said he couldn't, but he wanted me to pick up a box of the new SPx cards that just came out. So I went to the show and picked up two boxes.

On Monday, I brought them in to work, and I let my friend choose which box he wanted, and we sat down to open them up. He didn't get anything remarkable, but I pulled the Holy of Holys, the Wayne Gretzky auto insert! Now, you have to remember that this was back in the day when autographed cards were relatively scarce. It was the first one I ever pulled, and to this day, it is still the nicest card I have ever pulled from a pack. I have some nice cards in my collection, but the vast majority have been purchased separately. And the few that we have pulled have always been pulled by my wife. We typically open boxes together, and the good cards somehow always show up in the packs she pulls.

I was offered $500 for the Gretzky shortly after I pulled it, but I turned it down (idiot!). Probably couldn't get half that these days, and $500 back then was probably about $1500-$2000 now. But I keep it now just to remind me of a day when card collecting was more about opening packs and having fun than about how much money you can make off hitting a big card. Plus, I always put it out on display whenever my friends come over to play poker, so I can remind my buddy of his poor choice. To this day, whenever he sees it, he (jokingly) claims that I somehow knew which box had the auto and gave him the other one. I have had that card for 20 years now, and I still get a smile on my face every time I look at it.