Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Leaf Signs Nico Hischier to Exclusive Autograph Deal

2017-18 is gonna be a terrible year for rookie cards. It was already going to be bad when the #1 pick went to the Devils, it gets an extra boost from this.

http://www.beckett.com/news/leaf-tra...nico-hischier/

“Working with Nico, along with Allain and Jordan from RSG Hockey has been an exciting and rewarding process,” said Leaf CEO Brian Gray in a press release. “To see an agency thinking outside the box and aggressively marketing their athletes is refreshing in a traditional sport like hockey. Nico is now part of that new movement in the hockey world.”
    This deal will certainly have an impact on future NHL and NHLPA-licensed products from Upper Deck as Hischier’s autographs will not be part of them until his contract with Leaf expires.
    Where this deal also becomes interesting is due to the fact that Leaf will not be producing trading cards licensed by the Canadian Hockey League next season. The company has existing exclusive deals with young players like Buffalo Sabres star Jack Eichel, potential first overall pick Nolan Patrick, and top 2018 prospect Joe Veleno.

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just like that... I find myself hoping the Flyers don't draft him... Sucks to have a high draft pick like Nico NOT featured with ink in 99% of the card market.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I was never an autograph seeker. Honestly, I really don't get the hype over autographs, for two reasons.

1. It's ink on cardboard. Eventually, ink fades.

2. Someone famous signs their name on a picture? Big whoop...he/she eats, sleeps, and breathes like the rest of us and probably doesn't give a flying fadoo if we are alive, except when it comes to producing revenue for something they are/were involved in. Yet, people fall all over themselves to get so-and-so to sign something. They are no better than us; the only difference between me, you, and a famous person is that the famous person earns more money in a year than 90% of us will ever earn in our lifetime.

I say let Nico Hischer and Nolan Patrick sign agreements elsewhere. It will be two less redemptions to chase (you know they would be redemptions!). They will be highly valued regardless of whether they are signed cards or not. An unsigned Eichel FW has consistent value, so does Max Pacioretty and Jonathan Quick.

Yes, I have hundreds of FWAs in my collection. My plain Marian Gaborik FW is as important to my collection as my signed Jonathan Toews FW.

An unsigned card is not the end of the world folks!
    Last edited by Leafsman; 05-19-2017 at 08:27 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree with you to a point... I just think its bad for the hobby for players to sign exclusive deals with a "minority manufacturer"... (Nothing against Leaf, but they are laughable to most still in the hockey world) At the end of the day it really only hurts the consumer. Thats a potential #1-#2 overall pick for the second time in 3 years that won't have an autographed rookie card in any of the "big" sets...

I was never an autograph seeker. Honestly, I really don't get the hype over autographs, for two reasons.

1. It's ink on cardboard. Eventually, ink fades.

2. Someone famous signs their name on a picture? Big whoop...he/she eats, sleeps, and breathes like the rest of us and probably doesn't give a flying fadoo if we are alive, except when it comes to producing revenue for something they are/were involved in. Yet, people fall all over themselves to get so-and-so to sign something. They are no better than us; the only difference between me, you, and a famous person is that the famous person earns more money in a year than 90% of us will ever earn in our lifetime.

I say let Nico Hischer and Nolan Patrick sign agreements elsewhere. It will be two less redemptions to chase (you know they would be redemptions!). They will be highly valued regardless of whether they are signed cards or not. An unsigned Eichel FW has consistent value, so does Max Pacioretty and Jonathan Quick.

Yes, I have hundreds of FWAs in my collection. My plain Marian Gaborik FW is as important to my collection as my signed Jonathan Toews FW.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

How does this work? Leaf has more money than UD?
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

If Leaf is going to go all out and break the bank to offer them exclusives, then they should go ahead. It is unfortunate that these players won't be in UD products, but I won't be chasing them in Leaf products, as long as they don't have a license(Which is not going to happen either). While we, as collectors, like to think it hurts a player's brand if they don't appear in the big company's hockey cards, the truth is that the majority of hockey fans don't buy hockey cards so the damage to the player's brand is negligible if not even zero. The cards make for a nice secondary bonus for the players, but at the end of the day the market is very small compared to the people shelling money out on the actual games. Upper Deck isn't seeing enough of a drop in revenue for them to shell out bigger money for Eichel, Patrick or Hischier, and probably wouldn't see enough of a bump in their sales by offering them more than what they were already offered. McDavid and Matthews are different animals compared to Eichel, Patrick and Hischier, with bigger markets. UD knows this and are willing to sacrifice some star and even superstar players in order to put the money where it is needed to lock in the real sellers.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Go away Leaf. Stop ruining the rookie crop.

Stick to your niche .... people who buy your products arnt in it for the top rookie class players, they dont care for autos of the new kid on the block. People that dont buy your product are still not going to, no matter how many 2nd overall picks / 2nd tier prospects you exclusively sign. In the end, youre really just making the majority of the community dislike your company even more. Are you really making more money having guys like Eichel? No one wants an auto "rookie" from an unlicensed product. It honestly cannot be driving your products up in price or demand.

Do what you guys do best, vintage. The problem is, most collectors dont collect vintage. I bet if you didnt have to shell out all that money for guys like Eichel and now Hischer, you could sell your products to your real fan base for cheaper .... youre making your loyal fan base pay hiked up prices to pay for your unnecessary exclusive spending, while making the rest the hobby / your potential customers dislike your company because you are messing up the majority of the hobbys collecting habits.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

To many peoples collection .... it is the end of the hobby world.

Auto rookies drive the current hobby, its most likely why you chose SPA FW rookies to collect, instead of things like Young Guns. Why would you decide to pay hundreds more for your collection if autos did not matter?

Not having an auto rookie of top tier prospect hurts all of the products ..... which in turn hurts the hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nothing against Leaf?? Then call us laughable?? I find it laughable that people say this when our products sell out each and every time and provide better bang for your buck than our licensed competitor. Our designs and schematics, in my opinion, aren't second to anyone.

Our "niche" maybe be vintage, but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to attempt to compete in other avenues. Did you tell Upper Deck to stay in their niche when they signed Patrick Roy exclusive recently!

We have tried to appeal to UD to stop the exclusive deals and they ignore and go out and continue the practice. Should Leaf just lay down and die because we have a "niche"?

I don't think so. Maybe tell Upper Deck to go away or share the license. Leaf isn't going anyplace pal.

Leaf is jacking up its prices to pay for Eichel and other exclusives? In FACT, we have lowered prices since signing exclusives on most products or added an extra hit to products like Stickwork and lumber kings. Added 5 hits to this years Heroes and Prospects! Superlative will be priced in line with IN THE GAME USED, So this doesn't hold water.

Now has Upper Deck caused harm by taking out content to pay for their exclusive! YES! When they do lower prices they take out hits and packs!
    Last edited by LeafGregg; 05-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Upper Deck had McJesus and Mathews to fall back on the past 2 years. You don't think not having the top 2 picks is going to hurt?? Especially this year?

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast