Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

"Stop speaking for others. When you say all people blame us and not UD. That is 100% not the case."
    - I am stating that people blame your company for not being able to pull Eichel auto rookie cards. They will blame you for Nico and Nolan as well. That is 100% the case

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. I don't blame Leaf one bit for doing what it takes to move product, even if this hurts collectors at least in the short term. I would have liked an autographed Eichel Ultimate Collection rookie, but there's very little I can do it about it - the same will be true this year with the projected top two picks.

Ideally I'd like to see a license for a second company, whoever it might be.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Our deals are a fraction of the size UD uses. Now, keep in mind our volumes are a fraction also and we use more legends.

We also have products that feature little to zero signatures at all( Stickwork, masked men and ITGU as examples)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes, if we had an exclusive license, we wouldn't feel the need to lock up the key guys. We would just need them in our products.

When I was at Upper Deck back in the mid to late 2000s, three companies made football cards and exclusives were not allowed. The category thrived!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I'd have to disagree with you on this one. I don't blame Leaf one bit for doing what it takes to move product, even if this hurts collectors at least in the short term. I would have liked an autographed Eichel Ultimate Collection rookie, but there's very little I can do it about it - the same will be true this year with the projected top two picks.

Ideally I'd like to see a license for a second company, whoever it might be.

Well me on the other hand am getting a sour taste at Leaf because I cant collect what I want. What they are producing aren't rookie cards and they know it and everyone in the hobby knows it. They are hurting the collector by taking away what we want (Licensed Auto RC) and producing what we don't really want (Unlicensed Untrue Rookie Cards). If you think I'm wrong check ebay on the Eichel Autos. His Ultimate RC /99 out sells most of his leaf Autos.
    Last edited by theboxbreaker96; 05-21-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I don't mind this too much either, if in the long-term it gets the NHLPA talking about bringing on more than one company to handle their production of NHL Licensed hockey cards.

Leaf needs to do their thing to help themselves, as a company, stay competitive/grow and if this is the way to do it I say good for them. Nobody likes exclusives, and I truly believe they (Leaf) don't like them either. But if this short-term solution helps down the road, then I can bite that bullet today.

I get that people love their rookie cards, especially those autographed ones. I do as well. No question about that. However, trying to think from Leafs point of view, what are they supposed to do? Not take a chance to sign a top prospect on purpose so that we can get our Upper Deck autographed rookie cards and Leaf just stands by the wayside getting pushed by the richer, bigger "bully" ? This avenue will not push UD to change things up or increase competition in the hockey market. That means more watered down products, and recycled product ideas over & over. I'm not about that. We want change and hopefully this is one of the ways it'll make it happen.

Personally, I don't like exclusives, but from a business perspective I get why Leaf wants to go down that road.

I'd love to see Leaf with a license one day. Even Topps as well, who knows what's going to go down. But it can't just be all UD all the time. We're seeing what that looks like now with their products and it ain't fun sometimes.

Competition is great for this hobby. If signing the top 2 prospects help UD actually change their style when thinking about their releases in 17-18, then that's good for the collector. If signing the top 2 prospects help get new companies get in on the NHL license down the line, then that's good for the collector. We just need to ride this wave a little while longer and see if this pays off. Good for Leaf for sticking with it.

And I think their products are great! I'm a huge fan of their Masked Men product, and their boxes are pretty much always loaded with goodies! A lot more RIO than what UD can give you on average IMO.

Just my 2 cents on this.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 05-22-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scox23's Items on eBay

UD has been gouging hockey collectors for the past 2 years. Heck, a box of S1 at my LCS is $200. I'm glad to see the top 2 drafts picks sign with leaf, I'm tired of buying boxes that are 1.5x what they should be and unless u hit the top hit in the box you are lucky to pull 1/4 of what you paid. WTG leaf!!!! Getting tired of UD junk they have been selling us the past couple yrs

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

UD has been gouging hockey collectors for the past 2 years. Heck, a box of S1 at my LCS is $200. I'm glad to see the top 2 drafts picks sign with leaf, I'm tired of buying boxes that are 1.5x what they should be and unless u hit the top hit in the box you are lucky to pull 1/4 of what you paid. WTG leaf!!!! Getting tired of UD junk they have been selling us the past couple yrs

The price your LCS is charging has nothing to do with UD. The "cartel" of distributors in Canada controls the pricing and the gouging starts with them. Far too often a popular product will "dry up" at the lower price then magically reappear at a 20% higher cost. The LCS has no choice but to pass on the extra costs to collectors or risk not getting the product at all. The games these distributors play up here is borderline criminal.

Look at UD's ePack version of S1, the price has not changed since day one. I think it's been $89 USD or so since it hit the site and that is a far lower price than any LCS in Canada can sell it for.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

@Inferno and that's even with an exchange rate that's now flirting with 40%
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

What a fascinating discussion, even if contentious at times.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

What a fascinating discussion, even if contentious at times.

If things are kept civil and name calling and foul language are kept out of it (which sometimes goes hand-in-hand with heated topics like this), I too really like discussions like these and learning more from other collectors on both sides of the argument/issue. It's fun ! Plus I find it interesting as well.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 05-22-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast