Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rkkwong's Items on eBay

Honestly, I'm happy with this. I'm not thrilled that UD has the exclusive and continues to flood the market with mediocre looking cards at a premium. Adding in Rookie Showcase and mainufactured patches because every box must have a jersey or a patch in it.

+1
    I hate what UD is doing to the consumers. Taking away contents under the guise of lower price knowing full well everything will be sold due to the demand for McDavid, Matthews...etc. I just spent $200 on a box of SPA getting a common FW and a heldback SOTT from last year. I know there is a risk opening boxes but still...
    Tradelist/wantlist: Hidden Content

Looking for Buffalo Bills and HOFers auto/GU in football and Auston Matthews & vintage players GU/autos in hockey

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Leaf has every right to do what they did, and collectors have every right to dislike it if they choose. But, reading some of the comments on here and on another forum, I just have to say...perspective people. I can't remember if it was on here or HI (I'm not going through page after page to find it), but one poster compared an exclusive in another sport to "putting people through living hell" No, it is not that. Not even close.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Leaf has every right to do what they did, and collectors have every right to dislike it if they choose. But, reading some of the comments on here and on another forum, I just have to say...perspective people. I can't remember if it was on here or HI (I'm not going through page after page to find it), but one poster compared an exclusive in another sport to "putting people through living hell" No, it is not that. Not even close.

fantastic point here. Leaf can do whatever they wish, and they aren't bending any rules or being super shady about things. They are making business decisions.

As as for the results of the Exclusives, you can either like them or hate them. The choice is yours. But at the end of the day, it's just hockey cards. There are bigger and better things in this world we live in :)
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Pretty simple as stated in the thread. Rookies drive the current product

1. Leaf is unlicensed. Therefore many collectors don't want unlicensed cards of rookies
    2. Leaf does not produce Rookies
    3. We as collectors are no longer able to collect our favorites and are being forced to get something we don't really want if we want those autos

A company not able to produce licensed cards just took away the top 2 rookies. You don't see a problem with that?

Well if you take that one partial sentence out of the whole quote I had it would be a little perplexing I guess but it was made in reference to the whole idea that Panini got this thing rolling. They totally screwed over the basketball market by removing autographs of Lebron James and Michael Jordan (exclusives to Upper Deck) so when they got the NBA exclusive it removed any chance of MJ having an autograph in an NBA uniform unless Upper Deck goes out of business or Panini gives up the NBA license. It completely devastated the NBA market for the last 5+ years. Basically the point is all the companies have made this a free for all to survive and things have gotten nasty because of it so I don't blame Leaf for doing this. Heck Upper Deck could go under in the next few years and this could lead to Leaf being the only hockey maker getting a full license. Yeah I got it that some collectors are upset but I also understand that a business does things to stay in business and survive. If Upper Deck doesn't pony up the money to sign the stars or rookies some other company will and all the whining in the world won't stop that is all I'm saying.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See steen101984's Items on eBay

Nothing against Leaf?? Then call us laughable?? I find it laughable that people say this when our products sell out each and every time and provide better bang for your buck than our licensed competitor. Our designs and schematics, in my opinion, aren't second to anyone.

Our "niche" maybe be vintage, but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to attempt to compete in other avenues. Did you tell Upper Deck to stay in their niche when they signed Patrick Roy exclusive recently!

We have tried to appeal to UD to stop the exclusive deals and they ignore and go out and continue the practice. Should Leaf just lay down and die because we have a "niche"?

I don't think so. Maybe tell Upper Deck to go away or share the license. Leaf isn't going anyplace pal.

Leaf is jacking up its prices to pay for Eichel and other exclusives? In FACT, we have lowered prices since signing exclusives on most products or added an extra hit to products like Stickwork and lumber kings. Added 5 hits to this years Heroes and Prospects! Superlative will be priced in line with IN THE GAME USED, So this doesn't hold water.

Now has Upper Deck caused harm by taking out content to pay for their exclusive! YES! When they do lower prices they take out hits and packs!

Keep doing what you're doing Gregg! The hockey market needs competition because UD is lazy. Leaf products are consistently a better value than UD at every turn. I break one UD box every few months and its gotten slower as I haven't felt that i got decent value in awhile. If i had the Leaf option i'd be all over it but the place i go gets a small quantity and its gone asap.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

+1 man. The perspectives in this thread are unbelievable to me. Upper Deck has been doing such serious damage to this hobby for the last 2 (and arguably more) years that we should be doing everything we can to shape the hobby in such a way that it becomes healthier with the right type of competition. If Leaf were to just disappear without a license they would never be given the opportunity to receive one again.

Do people really enjoy paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for boxes that return cards with less value than a decent lunch?

Keep doing what you're doing Gregg! The hockey market needs competition because UD is lazy. Leaf products are consistently a better value than UD at every turn. I break one UD box every few months and its gotten slower as I haven't felt that i got decent value in awhile. If i had the Leaf option i'd be all over it but the place i go gets a small quantity and its gone asap.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm going to say it: Good for Leaf!

The UD Exclusive with the NHL & PA bothers me far more than any player exclusives Leaf or UD has signed. Hopefully things like this continue, and we get another licensed company before too much longer.

Since 2006: IMO the best years, BY FAR, from UD was when they had to compete with Panini.

The last few years, UD has gotten lazier and lazier IMO. Just keep creating more and more hits based around Rookie, their Autos, and a piece of one of the 8 dozen (or so) jerseys they wore on Photoshoot day.

No autographs from the top two picks? It might force them to actually try and create a year's worth of products were rookies aren't the main focus.

I don't think that Leaf has had a massive success with their exclusives so far: The products have sold, but the demand isn't there for Eichel or Patrick (yet). They have not had "the guy" locked up. This season, there's a chance that happens, though "the guy" isn't (and was never) going to be as big of a deal as he was the last couple seasons.

I seem to remember reading that Leaf has already signed some of the 18-19 guys too. This could be a thing for a while.

I couldn't agree more. I saw pictures of some of the players in 15-16 with words written on the back of the jerseys. I saw a MCjesus with "1st overall pick" written on the nameplate. Do you know how many more patches they can make with that instead of "mcdavid" and its of little cost to them. The photo shoot jersey stuff makes me want to gouge my eyes out. In saying this though it's not just UD that was guilty Panini was too.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

You mean getting pieces from something like this doesn't appeal to you ??

pens.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I saw pictures of some of the players in 15-16 with words written on the back of the jerseys. I saw a MCjesus with "1st overall pick" written on the nameplate. Do you know how many more patches they can make with that instead of "mcdavid" and its of little cost to them. The photo shoot jersey stuff makes me want to gouge my eyes out. In saying this though it's not just UD that was guilty Panini was too.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You mean getting pieces from something like this doesn't appeal to you ??

pens.jpg

Wow that's worse than i had previously seen. Thats appalling. No wonder every Mcdavid cup rookie was a 3clr patch. This is exactly why i now collect any cards that catch my eye. Before anyone says I'm a UD hater i'm collecting 4 sets right now, 2 ITG, 1 UD and 1 Panini and am collecting Natalie Spooner cards which is all UD.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Does anyone know when UD's exclusive deal ends?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast