Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YOUR Holy Grail?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New England Patriots Boston Celtics
    Twitter: @@akkadiator See sonicelevation's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale

He's smart too, so will protect his body. Team is on the rise etc, I like his game a lot more than Mariota's though I think his stock will also rise.

Oh yeah, I think you're right ... I've been offered some crazy money already for some of my cards but I have no intention of selling right now ... I'd love to be able to hold onto my best cards until Jameis retires as my son and I both love the guy and believe the sky is the limit for him ...

2015 National Treasures, Topps Chrome and Playoff Contenders are the "big 3" for modern football RC's ... however they are all pricey, especially the National Treasures. Honestly if you're looking to invest in Jameis and/or Mariota I would really recommend just buying some of their auto's RC's rather than busting packs as there is a very small chance you hit one of their autos in a pack ... I honestly NEVER bust wax and only buy the cards I want directly.

Regardless, if you are serious about investing in Jameis I would recommend buying quickly as I think his cards will only increase in value ... with Mariota you may be okay waiting until next off-season as he's coming off an injury and all ... but ... he also plays in the worst division in football and as the Titans have an elite offensive line and running game, they may just win their division this year and get into the playoffs, so investing in him ASAP may be wise as well.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

He's smart too, so will protect his body. Team is on the rise etc, I like his game a lot more than Mariota's though I think his stock will also rise.

Oh yeah, Jameis is a flat out prodigy, it's as if God created him to be an NFL QB, literally. He's like an NFL version of Kobe ... with much, much, much better leadership qualities.

As for Mariota ... I love him personally and all but I'm not a big fan of his game ... he reminds me of the new Alex Smith. If he can stay healthy I think he can have a very, very good career but I just view him a a gimmicky system QB that is more about not losing games than actually winning games if that makes sense.

Regardless ... they could both be great long-term investments as Jameis is destined to be a HOF'er imho and Mariota's Titans look like they could be competing for AFC titles pretty soon as once Brady and Roethlisberger retire, the AFC should be wide open ...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

I guess for me it depends.

Value -wise, it's probably the Tom Brady Contenders rookie, along with the Round numbers w/Bulger I pulled from my two boxes back in 2000.

As a Bronco collector, my old Elway rookie. Also pulled, but not in great condition. It's not bad, but was still just a card in a set back when for so long, before cards became what they are today. It's in a screwdown on my shelf, and hardly worth a photo.

I collected Julius Thomas Bronco cards. Got most of them. Including a lot of 1/1's. None of them will get that tag, lol.

For Rod Smith though, it's a toss up between the the 99 Ultra he initialized for me personally, or this;

https://www.sportscardforum.com/albu...chmentid=60790

I have a couple of Rod 1/1's, but I think this is his best card. A slice of patch, with part of an auto, as well as the now standard sticker. #1/5

At least that's my favorite currently.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My holy grail Rk would be this one, never really chased any Rk just particular players since '91 when I started coll. FB. Only Rk. I ever chased was in nascar, Jeff Gordon

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

My holy grail Rk would be this one, never really chased any Rk just particular players since '91 when I started coll. FB. Only Rk. I ever chased was in nascar, Jeff Gordon

Can't go wrong with a Sweetness RC :-)

I guess for me it depends.

Value -wise, it's probably the Tom Brady Contenders rookie, along with the Round numbers w/Bulger I pulled from my two boxes back in 2000.

As a Bronco collector, my old Elway rookie. Also pulled, but not in great condition. It's not bad, but was still just a card in a set back when for so long, before cards became what they are today. It's in a screwdown on my shelf, and hardly worth a photo.

I collected Julius Thomas Bronco cards. Got most of them. Including a lot of 1/1's. None of them will get that tag, lol.

For Rod Smith though, it's a toss up between the the 99 Ultra he initialized for me personally, or this;

https://www.sportscardforum.com/albu...chmentid=60790

I have a couple of Rod 1/1's, but I think this is his best card. A slice of patch, with part of an auto, as well as the now standard sticker. #1/5

At least that's my favorite currently.

Two Brady's in two boxes back in 2000 ... and you held them all this time ... that's some awesome foresight!

Your other cards sound cool too ... if you could own just one card, what would it be ... not just the most valuable but the one you personally would think was the coolest?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cardscardzcard5's Items on eBay

I have cards of higher value but I guess my PC holy grail would be these two that I tracked down fairly easily thank goodness. Both 1/2 and 2/2 of the 2014 Select green rookie patch. The two cards form one Nike Swoosh.
    Like I said, I have much higher value holy grails but my PC changed direction completely when my team, the Raiders, drafted Derek Carr in 2014 since I grew up near Fresno and was a (the other) FSU fan until I went elsewhere for college. Derek often gives sermons (idk if that's the right term) at a church where I actually am from and gives back to Valley Children's Hospital which did a lot for my family. Great guy.

PIC: http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/im...postlogin=true

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I have cards of higher value but I guess my PC holy grail would be these two that I tracked down fairly easily thank goodness. Both 1/2 and 2/2 of the 2014 Select green rookie patch. The two cards form one Nike Swoosh.
    Like I said, I have much higher value holy grails but my PC changed direction completely when my team, the Raiders, drafted Derek Carr in 2014 since I grew up near Fresno and was a (the other) FSU fan until I went elsewhere for college. Derek often gives sermons (idk if that's the right term) at a church where I actually am from and gives back to Valley Children's Hospital which did a lot for my family. Great guy.

PIC: http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/im...postlogin=true

Cool cards ... and I love Derek Carr as well ... it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jameis (another guy that loves to preach ... his Twitter feed is filled with Bible verses which I love) and Carr squaring off in a Super Bowl in the future.
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 05-24-2017 at 11:19 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

OK, I got it.

The last card I will ever sell is the first Julius Thomas card I pulled. A 2011 Topps rookie card he autographed for me in person.

I posted it before, but it was years before you signed up, so here goes.

In 2011, for the first preseason home game against the Bill's, I was one of 99 fans who were honored by the team in a pre game ceremony. My son and me. My then ticket rep called me the week before and asked, and of course I said yes.

All I knew was that we would each be getting an autographed jersey.

Now, this was an evening, 6:30 PM Saturday game, and I didn't leave the house until about 2 or so. My wife and son went to Target that morning, and they bought me a pack of Topps as a little present for opening day. In that pack, was one Bronco, a Julius Thomas rookie.

Not being much of a draft person, I was just happy to pull a Bronco rookie, and thought nothing more of it.

At the game, we 99 fans (this was the first year they started doing this) followed the team out of the tunnel, lined up opposite them, and everyone got the jersey from the guy we were in front of. Before the game, we got to watch warm-ups on the sideline while a team rep had us choose numbers.

Seeing the cards (little yellow cards) she had, I noticed she had 80 and 81, and I took those, as I was wearing my Rod Smith jersey.

Number 81 at the moment was a WR named Richard Quinn, but he was a no show, was released the following Monday, and is long out of the NFL.

I got Julius Thomas, the guy who's card I pulled that morning! I was stunned, to put it mildly. The card is a Combine photo, and I had no idea this guy had Rod's number. I told him during the ceremony I had just pulled his card, and what a coincidence it was. I think I was the only person in line wearing the same jersey as the guy I was opposite of, except #15.

I didn't have it with me though. So I just got the signed jersey, a blue practice version, and my son got a blank #81.

But my club rep assured me during the game that he would get it autographed by Quinn, or a coach. Quinn was also hurt at the time if I remember right. Anyway, I could pick it up Tuesday, at the annual Club Level ten year+ ticket holder private practice/brunch, also a brand new thing.

The Team started several new fan rewarding things in 2011.

So my wife and I go to brunch, and I take the jersey, and a few cards, just in case, ya know? Of course I take the Julius card. Who knows….

After the practice, about a dozen players come over and I get lots of ink on the #81 jersey, including Julius Thomas, who remembers me from the previous Saturday, and signs my card happily. I got the chance to talk to him again for about 5 minutes or so, which seemed like an eternity, and I left that afternoon very happy.

The team had done me good.

That's what got me to collect him. Luckily, he wasn't top tier draft material, and therefore had few cards at veeery reasonable prices even when they first came out. It was easy to grab the rare parallels cheap, especially when he got hurt in his first action against the Bengals that year, and had to wait for Peyton to make him a star, at least temporarily, here in Denver.

That card is the last one I will part with. It's my Gem, Holy Grail.

As a rule, I am a collector. I have never sold a card, and only traded a few times over the years. Since 1984, I still have it all. The Brady cards are in my Contenders Autos notebook right where they have been since I pulled them.

I have thought, many times, of selling the rookie. When it went over a thousand, it was really tempting. And the last few months. I saw several ungraded copies like mine go in the $5000 range on ebay. But I realize that it's probably my real Holy Grail. I rarely buy boxes now, and it's pretty likely I will never pull another card like that.

THAT'S the card I hope will buy my kids something really nice someday. The item they take to the Antiques Roadshow, and make the guys draw drop.

That's the last Non Bronco card I will ever sell.

Sucks it's a PATRIOT, lol.
    Last edited by JWinn; 05-25-2017 at 02:54 AM. Reason: spelling, missing words, that kind of stuff

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

^ Thanks for sharing that post ... that is a super, super cool story!

And as for the Brady ... that is a very nice inheritance for your kids as it should just go up and up and up every year!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12