Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy Fakes, Batman!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I can't believe people are buying them.

Well, if anyone is stupid enough to buy those for the prices he's asking, they deserve to get ripped off. $5 maybe it would be a nice little oddity for a collector. But at those prices, he would have to find a moron to buy those. (Of course, the world has no shortage of morons.)

Of course, I am sure if he does sell any, Upper Deck and the NHL will be visiting him because he is certainly using the Upper Deck and NHL logos without a license.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Of course, I am sure if he does sell any, Upper Deck and the NHL will be visiting him because he is certainly using the Upper Deck and NHL logos without a license.

Sad to say UD could shut him down in 10 seconds but they have not done so. So i truly doubt they care. The nhl on the other hand can do nothing on eBay as they do not actually own the copyright of any of those images imo (i might be wrong). Believe you have to register on eBay and then when anything pops up with your copyright you can quickly file a claim and eBay will shut the auction down. UD has no dollars to burn on following a guy to shut down his auctions.

He selling them as just look at his recent feedback:

[QUOTE]One of the best sellers on Ebay. Real nice card. Buyer: _***o ( 1928Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999) During past month
    Custom Made Sidney Crosby Contenders Dual Patch Card.SWEET!!!! /QUOTE] @Sharky94
    DON
    Last edited by doniceage; 05-23-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sick! And not in a " Holy crap, that patch is sick!" Way! More like a "that really makes me sick seeing someone do that to a card"

Glad you do not see what I due to card and memorabilia. I have cut up hall of fame balls to make cards out of. I am even thinking of cutting up a Mickey Mantle ball to make a custom card out of. Of course the quality will be slightly better and the cards made can easily rival anything produced by any card company out there. SCF has some sick custom makers and some of them sell cards on eBay all day as well.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

There's a guy in one of the facebook groups I am in that does a great job making custom letter cards. he buys stitched letters in the correct colors and make a quality Letter Marks of SPGU DDM type card of your favorite player or your own name in correct colors

Would you mind sharing who this is? My kid would love something like that!

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The nhl on the other hand can do nothing on eBay as they do not actually own the copyright of any of those images imo (i might be wrong).

He is selling images of team logos, which the NHL certainly does own. Hell, we have a whole thread about Leaf and their "unlicensed" cards, yet this guy is doing what Leaf wishes they could do. I just assume that the NHL either doesn't know or doesn't care about some small time peddler.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See EmpireHockey's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

someone has a whole lot of time on there hands

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Don't get me wrong, a good custom can be great. It isn't customs that I have an issue with... I guess I don't have an issue with anything, really, but this guy's customs still have the NHL and team logos, Upper Deck property, such as The Cup logos, etc. that, unless I'm mistaken, is clearly copyright infringement. As others have pointed out, he is at least honest about what he's made and what he's selling... but to make "customs" that aren't really custom because you're using another company's cards... I guess that's why I chose to refer to them here are "fakes" rather than "customs". A custom to me means you've designed the card, not replaced the patch in a card from The Cup and called it a "custom". I'm starting to ramble!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have a fair number of custom cards in my own collection.... they use NHL team names & logos. I paid another member here to make the cards for me - but he used his own designs, didn't copy UD's.

I would expect this is something more for UD to go after than the NHL. I would think the league is more worried about fighting counterfeit jerseys than they are "custom" hockey cards.

The seller is making it clear what they're selling, so I don't have any huge problem with it.... but I don't like the idea of cards being designed to look identical to others, just a "premium" patch used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12