Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Question Modern quartrback comparisons & mashups ... Who ya got?

I enjoy how many draft profiles feature a "player comparison" section, for example I saw one that said Leonard Fournette's player comparison was Adrian Peterson.

So ... my question is, who do you think modern NFL players compare to or what mashups make sense to you?

Here are mine:

Andrew Luck: John Elway mixed with Drew Bledsoe
    Matt Stafford: Dan Marino mixed with Tony Romo
    Jameis Winston: Brett Favre mixed with Peyton Manning
    Marcus Mariota: Alex Smith mixed with Colin Kaepernick
    Derek Carr: Drew Brees mixed with Carson Palmer
    Carson Wentz: Ben Roethlisberger mixed with Brock Osweiler
    Dak Prescott: Donovan McNabb mixed with Chad Pennington
    Dehaun Watson: Mike Vick mixed with Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Jared Goff: Tim Couch mixed with Akili Smith
    DeShone Kizer: Tom Brady mixed with Cam Newton just like Kizer said, lol

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE PLAYER COMPARISONS AND/OR MASHUPS?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

No player comps ... are mine that accurate that no one can top them?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates
    See shortprinted's Items on eBay Instagram:

I enjoy how many draft profiles feature a "player comparison" section, for example I saw one that said Leonard Fournette's player comparison was Adrian Peterson.

So ... my question is, who do you think modern NFL players compare to or what mashups make sense to you?

Here are mine:

Andrew Luck: John Elway mixed with Drew Bledsoe
    Matt Stafford: Dan Marino mixed with Tony Romo
    Jameis Winston: Brett Favre mixed with Peyton Manning
    Marcus Mariota: Alex Smith mixed with Colin Kaepernick
    Derek Carr: Drew Brees mixed with Carson Palmer
    Carson Wentz: Ben Roethlisberger mixed with Brock Osweiler
    Dak Prescott: Donovan McNabb mixed with Chad Pennington
    Dehaun Watson: Mike Vick mixed with Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Jared Goff: Tim Couch mixed with Akili Smith
    DeShone Kizer: Tom Brady mixed with Cam Newton just like Kizer said, lol

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE PLAYER COMPARISONS AND/OR MASHUPS?

Alright, you got me on this one. I know you are the biggest Winston fan on the planet and all, but your mashup for him is Brett Favre and Peyton Manning? I honestly don't see that at all.

Granted, I don't think we have seen enough of this guy yet. But he kind of reminds me of a Steve McNair and Big Ben combo. If he gets all prolific in the passing game, I'll upgrade the McNair to a Warren Moon.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You are giving WAY too much credit to Stafford. Live in Detroit. He hopes to get to Romo level!!!!!!
    Hidden Content
    Baseball: Ty Cobb, W.Mays, Jackie Robinson,Musial, T.Williams,Gehrig, Ruth, Tris Speaker, Joe Jackson, Ty Cobb, Paul Waner Basketball B.Russell Soccer: Pele UFC: Israel Adesanya WWE- Andre the Giant Twitter: @joecham

SCF Rewards
    Country

Tom Brady: Johnny U and Joe Montana
    Cam Newton: Michael Vick and Big Ben
    Tony Romo: Brett Favre and balsa wood

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You are giving WAY too much credit to Stafford. Live in Detroit. He hopes to get to Romo level!!!!!!

Really? Why would you say this? I'm curious. The guy was an MVP candidate last year, is the youngest QB to ever throw for 5k yards and carries a sorry Lions franchise ... I always liked Romo and felt he was severely under-rated but I like Stafford as well.

However, I will say that if you'll notice, while I said Stafford is a mash-up of two very good to all-time great passers, I mashed him up with two guys who never won a ring as I don't think Stafford will ever win a ring ... unless he leaves the Lions.

Tom Brady: Johnny U and Joe Montana

I'd just say Brady is Montana 2.0 ... I don't see the Unitas comparison. Why do you compare the two?

Cam Newton: Michael Vick and Big Ben

I get the mash-up and it makes good sense but I don't think it works as no one, including Cam, is Vick ... Vick had a cannon arm and was faster than nearly everyone else on the field ... but yeah, I lazily used Vick for Watson too so I can't say much ... it's just that Vick was truly superhuman with his abilities ... too bad his head wasn't screwed on straight.

Tony Romo: Brett Favre and balsa wood

What? Hahahahahaha ...

Alright, you got me on this one. I know you are the biggest Winston fan on the planet and all,

Hold on, hold on ... it's true that I am a huge Jameis fan ... but ... I am also a huge fan of Andrew Luck, Le'Veon Bell, Cam Newton, AJ Green and Eric Berry ... but that doesn't mean I'm going to drop tens of thousands investing in their cards. When I invest I don't discriminate or invest based on who I root for, I invest based on who I think will maximize their potential and turn into a superstar. I invested big in Kobe in 1997, big in LeBron in 2004 or so and now big in Jameis. Believe me, I wouldn't spend a penny on Jameis cards if I didn't think that he would become an all-time great.

but your mashup for him is Brett Favre and Peyton Manning? I honestly don't see that at all.

Granted, I don't think we have seen enough of this guy yet. But he kind of reminds me of a Steve McNair and Big Ben combo. If he gets all prolific in the passing game, I'll upgrade the McNair to a Warren Moon.

The McNair/Roethlisberger comp is a very, very good one. However I feel he is so far ahead of both of those as a pure passer at his age that that comp is sort of an insult to Jameis, however I defnitely think there is some truth to the comp and if any player including Jameis gets the best of Ben mixed with the best of McNair, that would be an all-time great QB, so I'm okay with it.

The reason my mash-up comp for Jameis is Peyton and Favre is that like Favre Jameis is a true gunslinger who considers himself a game-changer and play-maker rather than a game-manager. He relishes in giving his receivers a chance to make plays and while that definitely hurt him the last two years as he had Mike Evans and pure garbage to throw to, including guys off the street or CFL'ers (Martino, Brate, Humphries and Reedy), it could pay huge dividends now that he has DJax, Howard and Godwin to go with Evans. Jameis also has an uncanny knack for keeping plays alive and making insane plays outside the pocket like Favre and for being a guy that is incredibly down to earth and one that his teammates just love and would take a bullet for, like Favre.

And with the Manning comp ... I definitely stick by that. Jameis is considered a football savant with an unbelievable football IQ, incredible work ethic and study habits, etc ... just like Manning. For example, when you compare Mariota and Jameis it becomes clear that one guy is a talent learning to play the position (Mariota) and one is a prodigy that was created to play the position (Jameis). Mariota still doesn't work with a full paybook, doesn't call his own plays, has never been viewed as a great coverage reader, etc ... while Jameis was handed a full playbook as a 21 year old rookie, given the freedom to call his own plays and has been said by various scouts and coaches to have an incredible football mind. I could see him coaching when his career ends.

So, while I understand and certainly don't mind the McNair/Roethlisberger comp, I think the Favre/Manning one makes more sense. Honestly McNair and Favre were very similar, one was just better, so I don't mind the McNair comp at all and simply prefer the Favre one as I see true greatness in Jameis. But it's the Manning v Roethlisberger comp that bothers me a little. I understand Jameis is a big, strong guy who keeps plays alive and is more athletic than Manning so in that way the Big Ben comp makes sense, but with McNair or Favre already 50% of the mash-up that lessens the importance. For me, it's Jameis brain, pre-snap recognition, attention to detail and pursuit of excellence that reminds me of Manning ... and also the fact that Big Ben has often been considered a bad teammate, sort of a jerk and not the hardest worker ... none of that fits Jameis at all as he lives and breathes football and his teammates and coaches adore him.

So ... in your comp I believe you're saying Jameis has the size and look of a Big Ben with the leadership and fire of a McNair ... and I get that, while in my comp I'm saying Jameis has the mind and professionalism of a Manning with the play-making ability, drive and fire of a Favre. Both are good comps though!
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 06-07-2017 at 12:21 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I gotcha. The proof is in the pudding though and time will tell. When I think McNair, I think of a pocket passer that could move around when he needed to. When I think of Big Ben, I think big, extends plays, strong arm, champion.

When I think of Brett Favre, I think of extreme velocity, broken fingers, grit, and triple coverage. When I think of Peyton, I think giant brain, audibles, anticipation and finesse. Not a knock on Winston, but he doesn't have the quick release or velocity that Brett Favre did in his hay day, and Jameis nor anybody else is close to the field general that Peyton Manning was. Just keeping it realistic.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I gotcha. The proof is in the pudding though and time will tell. When I think McNair, I think of a pocket passer that could move around when he needed to. When I think of Big Ben, I think big, extends plays, strong arm, champion.

When I think of Brett Favre, I think of extreme velocity, broken fingers, grit, and triple coverage. When I think of Peyton, I think giant brain, audibles, anticipation and finesse. Not a knock on Winston, but he doesn't have the quick release or velocity that Brett Favre did in his hay day, and Jameis nor anybody else is close to the field general that Peyton Manning was. Just keeping it realistic.

Good points and your comp is a good one ... I just think Jameis is on another level in regards to football IQ and being a field general than McNair or Big Ben ever were, let alone at 22 years of age ... Jameis may never be on Peyton's level but could be closer to Manning than to McNair/Roethlisberger ... regardless, I like your comp!

I recently had a Mariota fan on Twitter basically say the mash-up for Marcus is Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady and I almost died from laughter, hahahaha.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Good points and your comp is a good one ... I just think Jameis is on another level in regards to football IQ and being a field general than McNair or Big Ben ever were, let alone at 22 years of age ... Jameis may never be on Peyton's level but could be closer to Manning than to McNair/Roethlisberger ... regardless, I like your comp!

I recently had a Mariota fan on Twitter basically say the mash-up for Marcus is Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady and I almost died from laughter, hahahaha.

Yeah that is an absurd comparison. Some people must not watch football on Sundays.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Really? Why would you say this? I'm curious. The guy was an MVP candidate last year, is the youngest QB to ever throw for 5k yards and carries a sorry Lions franchise ... I always liked Romo and felt he was severely under-rated but I like Stafford as well.

However, I will say that if you'll notice, while I said Stafford is a mash-up of two very good to all-time great passers, I mashed him up with two guys who never won a ring as I don't think Stafford will ever win a ring ... unless he leaves the Lions.

The reason for my critique is that Stafford will lead the Lions nowhere. So he has 5000 passing yards. So what if he gets 8-10 wins a year. He is not good enough to lead them to a playoff win (which a lot of quarterbacks have to do no matter how good of a team he has around him). Regular season prowess does not mean he is in an upper tier. He will be a top 15-18 quarterback in the league. That's it. That to me is not good enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast