Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (29)
    Country

Buy Singles, Packs, or Boxes??

Getting back into the hobby after a 5 year break. Wondering how everyone invests their spending.

I bought a box now and then in the past, mostly mid-higher end like National Treasures for example. It's so frustrating to come up empty though.

On the other hand... A couple hobby packs at $10 a pop pose the same problem. As does the $20 blaster my kid opened today.

I tend to throw $5-$20 here or there handpicking cards off of eBay. I know I'm always going to end up payment market price for something I want or shooting for value on a player who hasn't reached potential yet... (Hence my Ty Lawson, Dejuan Blair collection lol). But I'll never hit the Durant patch autos, etc doing that. But then again, what are the odds of hitting that in a pack/box/case break and is the price tag worth those odds?

Thoughts? I'm sure everyone's a little different.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not on eBay but I buy from people on here all the time selling nice stuff for real cheap prices. I know people like the thrill of opening up a box or pack but honestly with the prices people are dumping sweet stuff for I'd be stupid not to scoop it up instead of buying wax. But then again I never really pulled anything of value out of wax after years of busting and wasting money on it so maybe I'm a bit biased.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (29)
    Country

^^^ My thoughts exactly

SCF Rewards
    Country

Singles all the way. Never ever regret picking up my favourite players cards. Ever card tells a story.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I'm a hockey collector, but I usually go for buying singles for my collection. I will break the odd box once a year, and hope to pull something big, but it's not a good way for me to spend my card money, which is why I stick to singles.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content