Kronozio
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redemptions should not expire

11-12 SPA was on sale for a good long while last year - it may have been sold out since that time, but I recall it being down to like $80 CAD.

It's very easy to say "UD doesn't care" when you don't have all the facts. A lot of people would likely be amazed to know just how much effort and energy goes into making a single product.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Canadian eBay/Kronozio Promotion for Hockey Collectors in September!

Hidden Content

Sorry but that doesn't hold up for me. I fully understand the effort they put into making a product and that its a daunting task to get all these players to sign all these cards by a certain deadline - hence the need for redemption cards in the first place. But the fact of the matter is these cards are already produced and sitting on their shelves for the most part. Nathan MacKinnon has signed all of his cards, the non-redeemed ones are sitting in UD's warehouses, but if I pull a redemption card for MacKinnon out of a box of that product today I won't get that card, even though they have it and i paid for a product that states I should get these autographs. Understandable if the card wasn't produced, but if they have them and won't honor them, thats a sore spot for me.

I do some group breaks and the places I do them though will even send you a replacement card out of their own inventory when someone gets one of these expired redemptions. The card they replace it with might not be a super high end card but at least its something.

My understanding is that 11-12 products are always on sale because it was a poor year for rookies with Nugent-Hopkins and Landeskog being pretty much the best ones for that year and UD had a hard time selling their product that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
    Sorry but that doesn't hold up for me. I fully understand the effort they put into making a product and that its a daunting task to get all these players to sign all these cards by a certain deadline - hence the need for redemption cards in the first place. But the fact of the matter is these cards are already produced and sitting on their shelves for the most part. Nathan MacKinnon has signed all of his cards, the non-redeemed ones are sitting in UD's warehouses, but if I pull a redemption card for MacKinnon out of a box of that product today I won't get that card, even though they have it and i paid for a product that states I should get these autographs. Understandable if the card wasn't produced, but if they have them and won't honor them, thats a sore spot for me.

I do some group breaks and the places I do them though will even send you a replacement card out of their own inventory when someone gets one of these expired redemptions. The card they replace it with might not be a super high end card but at least its something.

My understanding is that 11-12 products are always on sale because it was a poor year for rookies with Nugent-Hopkins and Landeskog being pretty much the best ones for that year and UD had a hard time selling their product that year.
    Well first you picked SPA which is one of the most popular products out there. It always sells so the price doesn't drop much on it and often increases actually. Go look at other products though they all drop and drop even more when the redemptions expire. UD doesn't control the price anyways.

Second the one time I had pulled an expired redemption from UD I was able to receive the card as it was still in stock (Backstrom/OVY dual Ice Scripts Trilogy). If the card is in stock and you call them they will most likely give you the card.

Third I agree it should be 3-5 years before they expire not 2.

Fourth. Storage. They cant store redemptions for 5+ years waiting for the cards to be pulled/redeemed. There's no feasible way they can have that many old redemptions sitting there waiting.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Daniel Sprong, Top Player Autos and Rookies

The biggest issue Upper Deck has is that players are asked to sign a ton of cards every year. I acquired an Oliver Kylington FWA recently and I wondered how many he may have signed (or been asked to sign) so far.

I think the number was 1,982 to this point, with more sets to come (999 of those being his SP Authentic rookie card). That's complete insanity!! Maybe, just maybe, if Upper Deck reduced the number of cards they wanted players to sign, we wouldn't have to worry about redemptions expiring because redemptions would not be necessary.

I like this idea. It frees companies from the misery of having to do redemptions forever and yet allows collectors to maintain their value. The only issue I can see (say with Panini) is what would you offer a collector for an expired redemption (say a Crosby Auto) once your hockey license expires?

Quote Originally Posted by Rraincock View Post
    I like this idea. It frees companies from the misery of having to do redemptions forever and yet allows collectors to maintain their value. The only issue I can see (say with Panini) is what would you offer a collector for an expired redemption (say a Crosby Auto) once your hockey license expires?
    Crosby can still sign the card because the card was made while Panini still had a licence, so that would be okay if they were able to get Crosby for an auto session. If it's out of the question, then I think it depends on the collector here. They could replace it with something from their remaining (And probably somewhat limited) hockey inventory, or Panini can replace the card using another sport if the collector doesn't mind.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 06-18-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    Enter the 1st leg of the UD RAK 'Em Up! contest!
    Hidden Content

PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

They say nothing lasts forever.....so why should a redemption?

Anyway the only time I seem to recall a company running with our redemption cards never expire was Fleer before they went out of business. They had money troubles and knew it and instead of actually putting cards into their boxes they devised a plan where they could sell basic junk for the price of a high end box and people would eat it up. All they had to do was made all their redemptions "last forever". Collectors ate it up and didn't care that the box they just bought had redemptions galore and nothing else because they just had to redeem the cards and they would soon come in the mail. But they never did because outside of the junk they already had in the warehouse the other cards were basically fantasy cards that were never going to get made. So all the autographs and patches that were promised Fleer knew they would never make. So all the expensive signers and rare stuff could be promised on a piece of paper, the people working at Fleer would get buckets of cash before their closed their doors, and collectors would get the short end of the stick when they eventually went out of business. Now because of that I'd ALWAYS be wary of a company that does something like that.

Oddly enough Press Pass basically did what you wanted to happen in the original post but it was an unofficial policy of theirs. They too went out of business only a few years ago despite having a great redemption policy and featuring on card autographs most of the time. So I guess people seem to hate redemptions but still love to financially support the companies that continue to load up on them instead of the companies that try to cut down on them.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by theboxbreaker96 View Post
    Well first you picked SPA which is one of the most popular products out there. It always sells so the price doesn't drop much on it and often increases actually. Go look at other products though they all drop and drop even more when the redemptions expire. UD doesn't control the price anyways.

Second the one time I had pulled an expired redemption from UD I was able to receive the card as it was still in stock (Backstrom/OVY dual Ice Scripts Trilogy). If the card is in stock and you call them they will most likely give you the card.

Third I agree it should be 3-5 years before they expire not 2.

Fourth. Storage. They cant store redemptions for 5+ years waiting for the cards to be pulled/redeemed. There's no feasible way they can have that many old redemptions sitting there waiting.
    That is true, SPA is one of the more popular products out there for sure, so good point. I can't imagine that if they would just destroy any extra cards they have if they were autographed by a player, especially if they were a short print run. a few years ago I pulled a redemption out of SPGU for a Martin Brodeur auto out of 10. This might be a bad example as it was a sticker auto, not on card but anyway...as its a redemption, odds are probably not all those cards were redeemed...I can't see UD just destroying the 1 or 2 remaining just because they are a few years old would they? I always assumed they would keep them as they know they should see 10 redemptions come in or I guess they could use them as replacements for people requesting replacements as well? I haven't ever actually requested a replacement for a redemtion so Im not sure what the process there is.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, I just know that it would just be my luck that I would buy a older box of SPA and it would have a redemption for a Gretzky auto in it or something crazy like that and I'd be hooped because it was past expiry. I say this because to date, I have never pulled a Gretzky auto

Plus I will say to their credit, this year UD seems to have been able to greatly reduce the number of redemptions in their products over the last couple of years, so thats a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
    That is true, SPA is one of the more popular products out there for sure, so good point. I can't imagine that if they would just destroy any extra cards they have if they were autographed by a player, especially if they were a short print run. a few years ago I pulled a redemption out of SPGU for a Martin Brodeur auto out of 10. This might be a bad example as it was a sticker auto, not on card but anyway...as its a redemption, odds are probably not all those cards were redeemed...I can't see UD just destroying the 1 or 2 remaining just because they are a few years old would they? I always assumed they would keep them as they know they should see 10 redemptions come in or I guess they could use them as replacements for people requesting replacements as well? I haven't ever actually requested a replacement for a redemtion so Im not sure what the process there is.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, I just know that it would just be my luck that I would buy a older box of SPA and it would have a redemption for a Gretzky auto in it or something crazy like that and I'd be hooped because it was past expiry. I say this because to date, I have never pulled a Gretzky auto
    Yeah they would use the leftover Brodeurs (Unredeemed ones) and use them for other replacements/giveaways. For example I had a Brodeur Cup Foundations Auto /15 that was never made and I received a Crosby Auto for it.

If you pull one its best to call them and see if they can do anything for you, But they cant really be held liable for having redemptions expire.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Daniel Sprong, Top Player Autos and Rookies

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123