Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Alberta judge certifies class action against Western Hockey League

CALGARY — An Alberta judge has ruled that a class-action lawsuit against the Western Hockey League may proceed, making it the second such case against a major junior league in Canada.

The suit contends that WHL players have been paid less than the minimum wage required by law in their regions and asks for back wages, overtime and vacation pay.

https://www.guelphtoday.com/national...-league-644908

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Is it just me or am I the only one thinking that Major Junior players shouldn't get into the minimum wage thing?

I have a close family member who recently graduated from the CHL, and they weren't hurting one bit and didn't complain about not getting minimum wage. They were perfectly fine with it. They get a weekly allowance, free gear, travel, and not to mention a free ride to any school they want if they choose to do so. I think that's a pretty fair deal.

Considering some clubs can't afford to pay their players min. wage, I think what they do now is perfectly acceptable.

Just my 2 cents. If you disagree, that's totally fine. I just think the CHL does a lot for it's players as it is.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 06-16-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Totally agree, adding that extra expense could spell the end for some small market teams in the WHL.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Nashville Predators Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs

I'm curious how the WHL players work 45-60 hours per week as the article states. They must be including daily school work (for those who aren't out of high/secondary school) because skating + off-ice work alone wouldn't come close to those hours.