Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think that it IS a childish, silly, and mostly anti-social hobby. Like others here, I typically don't advertise my hobbies (paintball is another hard one to explain). That's OK, I enjoy it and am glad I picked it back up again. Whenever you're doubting a hobby, just remind yourself that it's better than video games. :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was just thinking about this the other day, great timing for the thread!

I don't share my hobby with many people - my wife knows, though she finds it odd that I care deeply about how much cooler a nice patch is versus a plain white jersey card, when she says I couldn't be bothered to shop for clothes for myself... she does have a point, lol.

A few friends who used to collect as kids also know I'm still into it, but they are utterly befuddled by what the hobby has become. When I told one that I just need a couple dozen more Sedin cards, he's like 'well just go to a card shop and buy them'. Had to explain this is not 1990 and the LCS does not carry boxes of copies of every single card made in the last decade like they used to with 80's traders, and that virtually everything I need is x/10 or less.

I think it's a bit sad that when adults and serious money get involved the hobby ends up changing so much... gone are the days of playing flipsies and knockdowns in the schoolyard - and it's not just enough to take a bit better care of our cards and put them in top loaders but professional grading is involved. And not just a simple 1-10 scale but there's gem mint with one 9 subgrade... or all 9.5's... or even better some 9.5's and some 10's... but that's not good enough, we need something better than mint, and better even than gem mint, so there's pristine - but wait, even a pristine card can have a 9.5 flaw so we put even more value on the elusive black label.

I feel the extremes that the hobby has to come are a bit insane to try to explain to a 'muggle' so I don't even bother trying - and I'm pretty sure that when I wrap up my Sedin collection and the handful of little set projects I have going on, if I'm still collecting it's going to be back to the roots of the hobby and build sets (not graded, just raw and beat up old cards).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

My wife tolerates it, to a point. She can't believe how much money I spend sometimes on my "hobby." A few of my friends know, and a few of my coworkers who also collect/used to collect. Other than that, I don't really go around proclaiming that I collect cards. It's my hobby to enjoy. If I find someone else to enjoy it with, that's cool. If not, no big deal to me.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds

WOW, this is definitely getting more response here in the Hockey community, than it did in the baseball. Although @creasecollector brought it over here, I appreciate all the responses. I am definitely not alone.

Really off topic.........

I have since sold all my cards from 1986 - 2014 due to losing interest. It has gotten too expensive and with all my hobbies, one had to be put on the back burner or torched for good. I kept the cards I couldn't let go, but the boxes on top of boxes I had were sold on CL. stupid cheap, but they were taking space. A lot of space. What once was my pride and joy, was sold to never do again. This had nothign to do with the topic at hand, but kind of responding to an above post that said prices were more for adults than kids. I agree

Fast forward to 2016. I got the itch to buy some cards. I wish I could explain what it is, but I certainly miss this hobby. Not sure if it's the building sets factor of it, the autographs/GU cards that I could possibly pull, or ? I have always enjoyed buying a hobby box here and there and began the process of completing base sets. I enjoy putting things in numerical order. This time around, I have only been buying the sets I am interested in, rather than buying every type of card I could get my hands on. I don;t collect multiple players anymore, just one. I will build 1-2 sets each year, but nothing more.

I will continue to try and sell every card I get out of these hobby boxes just so I don;t have cards collecting dust. Only I can control this personal obsession :)

My family never really cared about my collecting, and never really thought twice about it. I guess I was the one that squashed the hobby till I came back again.

Thanks for chiming in

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

My wife allowed me to take over SCF about 18 months ago, that should tell you what she thinks the hobby means to me.

I have a perspective that might be a bit different. Over the last 2 years, especially since taking on the site, there is not much that I do for myself anymore, but something that I do allow time for is to engage and connect with my daughter. Shes not really big into sports, but she loves opening packs, whether it is Star Wars (she loves it) or Pokemon or *choke* Justin Bieber cards *choke*, it allows her to sort, get excited and have something to take care of.

this is something that my wife, while she doesnt get the hobby overall, she loves that this is something that Olivia and I can share and this is more than enough reason to tolerate it (that and I dont drink, cheat, etc.)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The sad part about today's society is that if people don't feel the same way about something that you do, they immediately poo-poo it and try to make fun of it or insult it, just to make themselves feel better. That is society in general, and that is enabled through social media. "I will hang out with the people that think just like me and to hell with everyone else." More in particular, if you collect cards, and others don't care for it, you DO have the right to ignore their insults. It has a lot to do with the way people see themselves. #1) Not everyone in the world is going to like you. #2) You are not going to like everyone in the world. #3) If you figure out someone can't talk to you about card collecting without disparaging you, change the topic.

Lots of people will look at card collecting and think it childish. Yet, they will waste tons of money collecting NASCAR plates, or Humel figurines, or fine works of art, or wine, or something else. You are not showing more maturity by collecting one thing over another. It is just your personal taste.

I am lucky enough to have a wife that understands and even enables my bad habit. Luckily, she is a huge hockey fan, so that makes it easy. But if someone insults you for collecting cards, you probably wouldn't want to date them anyway. That same feeling would eventually come out in some other way, but it would be later after you invested time with that person and make the breakup harder. (That being said, I wouldn't choose your first date to show your new girlfriend your Man Cave with your thousands of cards, either. )

If people can't understand why you collect cards, there is no need to tell them how much money it costs. That instantly makes them more judgmental and won't help with their understanding. Everyone has hobbies and pastimes that cost them money. Some people go canoeing; some people play racquetball; some people go to the movies; some people collect cards. How you spend your time and money is nobody's business besides your own. If they can't handle it, that is their problem, not yours.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I've been hanging back since I posted this thread, not replying to every comment, just sitting back and taking a observatory approach this time around. And I gotta say, I have loved reading all of these posts so far.

Everyone seems to have such a wonderful attitude towards their collecting mentality. It's true that if some people don't understand why you collect A, B, or C, then you shouldn't put much stock on their opinions when it comes to your collection preferences that you enjoy.

I've had similar feelings when it comes to my hockey card collection, and it's weird how the perceived thoughts of others can sometimes creep into your own thoughts (whether it's friends, coworkers, girls, family members, etc, etc).

As someone who has been collecting for many years now, and is slowly approaching his mid-20's, I have no doubt been effected by that type of thinking. Maybe it's a "young person" way of thinking or something, I guess I'll never know, but it's definitely something I've become more confident in expressing that collecting is a hobby that I have always enjoyed, and it's a small part of me that makes me, well, me.

So be confident in yourself & the things you enjoy.

Whether your experiences have been good, bad, or mediocre, just be aware that there are people out there who do "get it" and understand every bit of the cards you enjoy. Like many things in life, sometimes we can't control or completely turnover societies opinion on certain things. For example, if someone says that card collecting if a kids only hobby, then they might hold onto that viewpoint for ever, even when you show them otherwise. That's like other hobbies, too.

Anyways, I've just love hearing everyone's continued thoughts and opinions on this subject!

Very well said, everyone.

:)
    Last edited by creasecollector; 06-26-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12