Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 06vq350z's Items on eBay

eBay Summer Update starting July 1, 2017 regarding taxes

So I got this message from Ebay about this update. What are your thoughts on this?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbuying79's Items on eBay

I love that we get to pay taxes on shipping charges via ebay and then again when we pay at the post office.

I don't really fault ebay for this if they're forced to do so. However reducing the 20% off for top sellers down to 10% off was a slap to the face.

I remember the ebay of old where I didn't feel the whips cracking on my back as a seller. Where buyers were also held accountable and paypal was a seperate entity.

Sigh.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Pretty lame that we pay taxes when we buy the cards and again when we sell them!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

Is this only on ebay.ca? Ebay.com too?
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

I haven't sold stuff on eBay in awhile. Way too many fees and charges.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

Man, using ebay to sell small-dollar items was already a disaster, this just makes it even worse.

For valuable in-demand cards it's feasible to use this site or others like it to market your cards and find homes for them. For the small-dollar stuff though a service like eBay is really the only thing available out there (COMC is another conversation altogether) to find customers. Already they were charging a flat fee + % for the sale as well as the shipping cost with paypal taking a smaller but similarly structured cut. In addition to that if you're using more than your free-listing allotment there is a listing fee. Now when you add taxes to that it's just so much.

I've always felt really strongly about only charging shipping fees which actually cover the cost of shipping the item and not trying to make further margins on that. However, in order to do that now you almost have to charge like $4-5 shipping just to cover fees, taxes, postage, envelope...who in their right mind is going to pay $1+$5ship for a $1 card