Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

With something like magic the gathering (a trading card game for those that don't know) there are legitimate opportunities for making money within the hobby. r/mtgfinance on reddit is a good community/resource for working that out

That whole concept basically doesn't exist in hockey. There is a tiny bit of a gamble where it's possible to get a card in a pack that is worth way more than the cost of the pack but the frequency of that happening is so unbelievably rare

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The best way for a person in the hobby to turn $160 into $30 is to open wax.

+1000

Just say NO!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The only way you'll ever make money busting wax is if your name is Upper Deck.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I mean, in theory, if you bust a case and you hit something big plus can move it and the fluff stuff, you can come out ahead I'd say at least half the time. I've seen it happen with friends where they just love to crack and flip so that it can pay for the next one. But that's the level where you have to break now to have a real chance. Single boxes are a total crap shoot.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

It is a big gamble in making money in Hockey these days. You can do better trading.
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

I used to buy buy cases and come out most of the times even. With the canadian $, this is almost impossible now. I'm not buying much now. Money down the drain.
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you want to make money in this hobby, I suggest you get into the basketball market.
    I COLLECT HIGH END TRUE AUTO RCS OF LEBRON JAMES, GIANNIS, TOM BRADY, CONNOR MCDAVID & SIDNEY CROSBY.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

A friend of mine owns a card store. He's a diehard hockey fan but 95% of his store space is Magic, Pokeman, and a whole bunch of other crap that I cannot even describe. As many others have stated, hockey cards are the worst hobby to INVEST in.

The only way I think you could make money in hockey is to buy a bunch of McDavid RCs and sit on them for about 20 years and hope that he continues to be successful. Even then, you might at best double your money. There are far more lucrative opportunities to make money however.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There two ways I have actually been able to MAKE money in this hobby:

1. Check COMC periodically for the latest e-pack release (typically a month after release or so, or before a new product is launching). Often times many of the big spenders on there will dump their e-pack stuff to COMC and want to move it quickly so will mark it on the cheap. Have found some amazing deals on there that I just posted to eBay and sold for a lot more than I bought it for.

2. Buy lots (as in a large bulk group) of relic or auto cards and sell them individually on eBay. I've found the best way to do this is to mark them for a reasonable BIN price if they're low to mid end. Auctions on low end cards too often end up unsold or at a minimal price. High end generally do better at auction as I think people are adverse to paying three digits for a card with no "say" in the price, which is what auctions provide them. In fact, many times auctions end higher than BIN sales anyway. For example, I had a nice Ryan Kesler Cup Patch auto /50 up at BIN for $60 for a week and nobody touched it. Listed it for auction and it sold for $120.

Anyway, those are the only ways I've found that give you an actual chance to turn a profit in this hobby.
    Last edited by Absolutebeauty; 07-15-2017 at 05:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think you can assume that the price of (edit: some) rookie cards will go up...The 2009-10 YG set, guys like Karlsson and Marchard went from $20 to $80 in 5 years? There are other examples like the Crosby YG.
    If it isn't because the player did better than expected, it is because of inflation and other metrics. We're lucky that in today's market rookie print runs are under 25,000 for the set, unlike the 80's and 90's where it was a few million?.

But unless you're young and don't mind waiting 25 years, it's pretty hard to make money right now, which is what people want.

If you're looking to invest I'd recommend rookies, and a lot of patience.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Manny; 07-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast