Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Pinnacle in a can

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds

1997 Pinnacle in a can

Is there anyone on here that has ever bought the "1997 Pinnacle in a can" cards?
    I was rummaging through my boxes of baseball stuff over the years, and came across 4 of these cans, unopened.
    Each can has the following player on it: A-Rod, Jeter, Ripken, and Griffey. I bought them because of who was on the can, and had zero desire to open them.

I looked in the Beckett for 97 Pinnacle but saw nothing.

Does anyone know anything about these cards? Was there anything worth while in the cans? Do any of you still have unopened cans of this set?
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Here is a picture of the cans to help jog your memory
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/VtwSKp]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Please visit my website for cards available, as well as my set needs
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (1083)
    Country

They are listed on Beckett's website as 1997 Pinnacle Inside.

There are some decent inserts and parallels if you hit the right guys but that's about it.

Baseball-Evan Longoria, Sonny Gray, Mike Trout, Kris Bryant, Andrew Triggs, Ryon Healy, Ryan Dull Football-Blake Bortles,Devin Hester rc's, Jordan Howard, Kevin White, Derek Kinder 2009 Brad Ziegler Wantlist Hidden Content
    Trade list Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

I bought cans of that stuff back around 2001 or so never got anything good. Basically just a novelty item

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (1083)
    Country

I think the object was to make it harder for people to steal packs of cards from retail stores. Obviously it never caught on.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds

funny, i seem to have bought a lot of novelty items over the years. I have the stuff everywhere.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the object was to make it harder for people to steal packs of cards from retail stores. Obviously it never caught on.

No I just think it was Pinnacle being "creative". Around 1997 and 1998 they released a bunch of stuff collectors would consider odd and weird now.

Pinnacle Mint was cards with a coin of varying precious metals
    Pinnacle Inside was cards in a can
    Donruss Preferred which was inside of tins
    Zenith where you ripped open a big card to find a normal sized card inside

On the plus side they released Donruss Signature in 1996 that had an autograph card per pack

Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

I bought two cases of this for football back in 99 or 2000 from a KB Toys outlet store, VERY cheap. I think that was 48 cans.

Autos were in it, but I did not pull one. I think they were something like 1 in 200 packs/cans. Just a few inserts and one rare parallel of Drew Bledsoe (I think - without checking.)

If I hadn't found them cheap at an outlet store, I never would have bought them. I remember them in the hobby shop back then at 5 or 6 bucks a can, and thought that was too much. But if I remember right, the two cases were like $25.00, so I grabbed em.

As Pwaldo said, they were something Pinnacle tried in the late 90's. They were trying to be creative, and packaging was one of the ways they were trying to to "something different".

I also got a lot of Donruss Preferred in the double wide tins at the same store. Did much better from that product. Lots of parallels of all the stars of the day. And that was considered a higher end product, with foil edges, and the origin of the subset, later to become a name on it's own - National Treasures. (Didnt think Panini came up with that on their own, did ya? lol)

I still have the cases with the empty cans and tins in my storage room. Cant throw away anything with players on them…..

As a collector, I say open em, and enjoy the short trip thru time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Cans:
    Rodriguez $1.50
    Griffey $2.00
    Ripken $2.00
    Jeter $2.00

Becket website does not list prices for unopened cans.
    Base Set 150 cards
    Club Edition 150 card parallel
    Diamond Edition 150 card parallel
    Dueling Dugouts 20 cards
    Inside FOrty Something 16 cards

What you want is Diamond Edition big names are 60-80 (Ripken)
    Lesser Stars are $30
    Dueling Dugouts are as High as 30 (McGwire RC/McGriff)
    40 Something Bonds $30
    Club Edition Ripken is $15 and down from there
    Best Base: Ripken $3; Bonds & McGwire 2.50

SCF Rewards
    Country
    UCLA Bruins Los Angeles Lakers Anaheim Angels

I chased after these odd balls a bit myself back in the day.
    It was fun and unique to open the cans at first.
    There was a gold variation of the can, 1 per case.
    I was a McGwire PC collector back then.
    I think I opened up about 10 cans.
    First to get to the case when it got put out at retail, could grab the gold can.
    My best pull was the Frank Thomas Club Edition

Collecting - Semi "Master collecting" 2012 Topps BB - [+ 12 Topps Chrome, 12 Topps mini On Line, 12 Topps Opening Day] - 2012 Panini Prizm BB prizm - green, blue, red, gold, ice, pulsar [trade only] - Prefer trades of $30 bv min. PWE trades ok for small trades. It's just a hobby. Have fun and be fair.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Blast from the past! I worked in a sports collectible store in 1997, and we definitely sold these -- in baseball, hockey, and maybe football and basketball too. I've still got a WNBA promo version featuring Rebecca Lobo. Hah.

lobo_can_1.jpg lobo_can_2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast