Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question Starting an autographed baseball collection....

Hi guys, first time poster.
    Im Pete from upstate NY and just now going to get into baseball autograph collecting. I have the great opportunity in starting this because of my location near Cooperstown NY.I am planning on attending the HOF weekend and would like to start my collection then. Now, I do not have an unlimited budget, but would like peoples opinion on which players may be good to start with. Im guessing that based on players age and health (ability to get future signings) would be a big factor. I would like to post the names of signers and would love if people would chime in on their opinion of who the begin with. I have purchased Official Major League Baseballs and have also purchased blue ball point pens and UV protection ball qubes. If you would/could post your top 10 in the order in which you would get them. Here is a list...in NO specific order.
    Rod Carew
    Al Kaline
    John Smoltz
    Mike Piazza
    Wade Boggs (also, available in Saratoga Springs in September)
    Orlando Cepeda
    Craig Biggio
    Andre Dawson
    Dennis Eckersely
    Jim Rice
    Brooks Robinson
    Bruce Sutter
    Ozzie Smith
    Ryne Sandberg
    Eddie Murray
    Doc Gooden
    Robin Yount
    Tom Glavine
    Frank Thomas
    Tony LaRussa
    Barry Larkin
    Jim Leyritz
    Roberto Alomar
    Johnny Bench
    Billy Williams
    Dave Winfield
    Whitey Herzog
    Rickey Henderson
    Fergie Jenkins
    Gaylord Perry
    Juan Marichal
    Rollie Fingers
    Pete Rose
    Joe Morgan
    Tony Perez
    My purpose of starting my collection would be to have them worth something to leave for my daughter. I know they wont be worth anything near a Ty Cobb or a Babe Ruth, but you have to start some where...lol Thanks for anyones input and ideas.
    Pete

SCF Rewards
    Country

A number of these guys sign TTM, so I would hold off on guys like:

Boggs
    Dawson
    Rice
    Robinson
    Sandberg
    La Russa
    Leyritz
    Herzog
    Perry
    Fingers

Guys I would say to get out of that group- Piazza, Smoltz, Kaline, Biggio, Cepeda, Smith, Bench, Murray, Henderson, and either Rose or Morgan, depending on preference.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In no order:
    Tony Perez
    Rickey Henderson
    Johnny Bench
    Doc Gooden
    Dennis Eckersley would be my five.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

In no order:
    Tony Perez
    Rickey Henderson
    Johnny Bench
    Doc Gooden
    Dennis Eckersley would be my five.

Add Tony Perez to that list of guys that you might want to send TTM as he has signed cards for me in the past c/o Marlins... I have not tried a baseball! Thanks for your first post and best of luck on your collection. The reason guys are saying to TTM some of the players is that many have little to no cost in doing that and the signings can get pricey around the HOF and other events. We look forward to seeing your success posts!
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content