Thread: Aaron Judge, friend, or foe?

Unhappy Aaron Judge, friend, or foe?

2017 hobby prices are ridiculous thanks to this guy. This is one of the few things that I hate about this hobby. It has forced me to purchased Retail for the most part, which I usually avoid at most costs. I refuse to get caught up in the Judge chase - this is not why I collect at all.
    - Baseball Trade List Hidden Content
    - Basketball Trade List Hidden Content

- Set Needs
    Hidden Content

2. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com
    Just part of the hobby. It isn't any different than '86 Donruss or '89 Upperdeck or '90 Leaf or '90 Topps.

It has become a common trend. Even in hockey the past two years boxes and cases have been going up in price, but the way I see this it is a good thing. Means the hobby is healthy and has room to grow and if that means a few more dollars, so be it!

Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    Just part of the hobby. It isn't any different than '86 Donruss or '89 Upperdeck or '90 Leaf or '90 Topps.
    No, there is a huge difference.

Not only were pack prices a drop in the hat back then compared to the prices today, but there was no such thing as "hobby" product. Everything was the same no matter where you got it. If you wanted something you just got it at your neighborhood retailer, or you were subjected to an unscrupulous hobby store where prices were spiked, and the packs possibly searched. Where I grew up in the Twin Cities there was a chain of hobby stores that were notorious for doing that.

So, the beauty of collecting back then was that the product was the same regardless of where you purchased it. The difficult (and fun) part of it was chasing to the nearest K-Mart, or grocery/convenience store, to see if the product was even in stock. I remember it vividly with the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken error. Everyone was scooping up 1989 Fleer boxes so it was really hard to get to, especially for a kid like me. One time my Mom drove me like 30-45 minutes out to the boonies to look for it. We stopped at a half dozen places until I finally found a few packs left at a Menards. No, I didn't pull the Ripken. But it didn't matter so much, because it was mostly about the experience.

I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hobby today as much as I ever did, but it's simply a different animal now. It's frustrating today for set builders like myself who get deterred by pack price fluctuation from year to year on the products they always purchase because of a secondary market frenzy. I prefer Hobby product, but my hand is being forced because I don't have an endless amount of disposable income.

- Set Needs
    Hidden Content

The two options are the hobby has rookies that are on fire and boxes skyrocket or the rookie class is crap and the boxes tank. This year they are flying off the shelves and while that might be annoying and costly to me it is a lot better than what the NBA went through this season having the worst rookie class ever. You couldn't give basketball stuff away and people fled for football and baseball. I mean the All Star game ratings were up, the HR derby ratings were way up, and baseball cards are hot again so I'd kind of prefer that to a hobby or sport that is losing interest even if it is a bit more costly.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

At the end of the day collectors will always be upset with something. I say quit the complaining and collect and enjoy what you can. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by chakhae1 View Post
    It has become a common trend. Even in hockey the past two years boxes and cases have been going up in price, but the way I see this it is a good thing. Means the hobby is healthy and has room to grow and if that means a few more dollars, so be it!
    I agree with this as well. Though the prices may scare some away (rightfully so, and it sucks - I've been there) it leaves room for collectors to get fired up and excited about the hobby, which can be good overall.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

Yeah, you guys make good points. Overall this is definitely good for the health of the hobby. I would rather these cards have and sustain value, than not. In the grand scheme of things this benefits all collectors in the long run. I guess I was mostly venting with frustration about the current wax prices.

- Set Needs
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgykone View Post
    No, there is a huge difference.

Not only were pack prices a drop in the hat back then compared to the prices today, but there was no such thing as "hobby" product. Everything was the same no matter where you got it. If you wanted something you just got it at your neighborhood retailer, or you were subjected to an unscrupulous hobby store where prices were spiked, and the packs possibly searched. Where I grew up in the Twin Cities there was a chain of hobby stores that were notorious for doing that.

So, the beauty of collecting back then was that the product was the same regardless of where you purchased it. The difficult (and fun) part of it was chasing to the nearest K-Mart, or grocery/convenience store, to see if the product was even in stock. I remember it vividly with the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken error. Everyone was scooping up 1989 Fleer boxes so it was really hard to get to, especially for a kid like me. One time my Mom drove me like 30-45 minutes out to the boonies to look for it. We stopped at a half dozen places until I finally found a few packs left at a Menards. No, I didn't pull the Ripken. But it didn't matter so much, because it was mostly about the experience.

I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hobby today as much as I ever did, but it's simply a different animal now. It's frustrating today for set builders like myself who get deterred by pack price fluctuation from year to year on the products they always purchase because of a secondary market frenzy. I prefer Hobby product, but my hand is being forced because I don't have an endless amount of disposable income.
    Travis- To me the answer is usually to wait. Even when hot rookies do pan out over the long term, prices tend to drop whenever the next hot thing comes along. Once the 2018 cards out, for the most part 2017 prices will drop.
    Always looking for Graded Vintage (Pre-1980)