Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Latest Oilers pickup.....

A name probably most people won't recognize... I collect Edmonton Oilers autographs, and while that's mostly players I also go for some off ice people too (GMs, Coaches, few others).

Peter Chiarelli is a pretty well known name today (and will sign TTM if you ask!). Prior to that they had Craig MacTavish, Steve Tambellini, and Kevin Lowe. Two of them are fairly well known ex-Oiler players (each with at least) certified autographs from card companies). Tambo played in the NHL back in the 80s.... he's signed plenty of old OPC cards... and you can find one (or I'd imagine mail him) signed pretty easy.

Glen Sather is a little tougher. He signed 1 card for Topps back in the early 00s... but IP copies of his signature are fairly common to find.

That brings us as far back as the 1980-81 season (Sather took over as GM in June of 1980).

The GM in the Oilers first year of play in the NHL (and last one in the WHA) was Larry Gordon. He's the one that draft Kevin Lowe & Mark Messier. He's the GM that traded to get Wayne Gretzky from Indy... and signed him to a 20 year contract.

He has no NHL cards, I don't think anything even from Edmonton as a team issued one (he does have a mid-90s Cleveland Barons team issued card) so seeing his name on anything is pretty rare today. His signature? I was really happy when this letter showed up on eBay:

Letter to be chopped and put into a custom card :)
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 07-24-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

What a great piece. Congrats on acquiring this letter for your collection! Make sure to show it off once it's made into a custom cut signature :) Well done !
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

Congrats on the find Sean. That auto PC is amazing

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Tampa Bay Lightning San Antonio Spurs Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @petemfcrowe See minticus07's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's awesome

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

What a great piece. Congrats on acquiring this letter for your collection! Make sure to show it off once it's made into a custom cut signature :) Well done !

Congrats on the find Sean. That auto PC is amazing

Thanks for the comments!

Chris: I will mention the overall auto PC (stats).

I have 593 names on my total "list" 11 of those fall under a weird "other" category (never actually played for the team). 22 of them were never Oilers players, but were (or are) off ice personal in one capacity or another. 24 of the remaining players are from 2015-16 or 2016-17.

That leaves 536 unique players to have played for the Oilers from 1979-80 through 2014-15. I have signatures from 531 of them. Of those other 3 lists:

The 11 players in the "other" category: I have all 11. These are players that were either pictured on an Oilers NHL card (without having actually played a game for them) or were 1st Round Picks that never played for them.

Of the 22 "off ice" people I would like to get - I have 19 (including the Larry Gordon in this post). The other 3 are kind of difficult to pull off - but I'll keep trying.

Of the 24 players that made their Oilers debut in the last two seasons... I have 18. The 6 missing are various reasons: No autos available (need to do a TTM request for a couple of them), waiting for McDavid to drop in price, and I'm waiting for new cards to be released (i.e. 16-17 The Cup) still.

So yeah, it's grown into a massive collection of autographs (579 unique) along with RCs and GU of all players, where possible.

I've actually started working on scans.... maybe one day I'll actually get this stuff all done, uploaded somewhere, and do a massive S&T :)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the comments!

That leaves 536 unique players to have played for the Oilers from 1979-80 through 2014-15. I have signatures from 531 of them. Of those other 3 lists:

^^^^^^^

I had not made progress on that number in at least a year. Probably more like 2 (I'm struggling to remember who the last "old" autograph was I picked up. Got this TTM request in the mail yesterday:

For most hockey fans, Bob Dupuis is a goalie that you've never heard of... and checking his career stats, you'll see he played only 1 game during the 1979-80 season.

For me? This trims another name off my all time Oilers collection.... a collection that has become impossible to add to, until the last 6 weeks (or so?). I mentioned in the quote post above that I was missing 5 signatures from 79-80 through 14-15. Dupuis was one of them. I also picked up a signed index card of another recently.... and have made arrangements with someone on another forum to get another from a signed minor league program.

I had not picked up 3 autos for this collection (outside of "maintenance" guys, the new ones added each year) in the last 3 years - and I've landed 3 in the last month and a bit.

If anyone knows where Tommy Lehmann or Bill McDougall are hiding... LMK. lol

EDIT: also want to tag @DnJcards in this, so Jon can see his custom work completed!
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 10-19-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Awesome job! Nice custom card too. Best of luck tracking down those signatures!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

How many Joey Moss autos do you have?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content