Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Is the autograph on its way out?

Folks, I know this sounds like a silly question, but I think it's something worth discussing.

Consider the fact that cursive writing is no longer taught in schools (well, it is no longer taught in the local school where I live in Canada and hasn't been taught in a number of years). Simply put, computers rule the world these days.

So is the autograph on its way out? Will there be autographed cards 20 years from now?

Let's discuss.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I think autographs will always be around. Technology (especially in the last 20-15 years or so) been on the rise and will continue to shape our future and how we interact with each other. But when it comes to sports, a lot of 'old school' things remain.

When looking into sports history, the autograph has always been something sought out by fans and by players alike, and I don't see that changing. It's so engrained into the sports culture in my opinion.

Great question & discussion topic !
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I think autographs will always be around. Technology (especially in the last 20-15 years or so) been on the rise and will continue to shape our future and how we interact with each other. But when it comes to sports, a lot of 'old school' things remain.

When looking into sports history, the autograph has always been something sought out by fans and by players alike, and I don't see that changing. It's so engrained into the sports culture in my opinion.

Great question & discussion topic !

But if cursive writing is no longer taught, who will KNOW HOW to sign their name that way in 20 years? If autographs go digital, I'm done

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

But if cursive writing is no longer taught, who will KNOW HOW to sign their name that way in 20 years? If autographs go digital, I'm done

In 20 years, if people can still write, then the autograph will still be around, whether cursive is taught in schools or not. If you can (or have the physical ability) to write something down, then creating a signature (whether it's legible or not) can still be done.

I haven't written in cursive since, like, grade 4, yet I've still been able to create an execute a signature on whatever needs to be signed. In my opinion, just because the "x" grade school class isn't around, doesn't mean "x" won't be able to exist.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 07-27-2017 at 09:19 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thumbprints

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wouldn't think autographs would be able to disappear in just 20 years but remember before people collected autographs the big thing to collect was hair.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

In 20 years, if people can still write, then the autograph will still be around, whether cursive is taught in schools or not. If you can (or have the physical ability) to write something down, then creating a signature (whether it's legible or not) can still be done.

I haven't written in cursive since, like, grade 4, yet I've still been able to create an execute a signature on whatever needs to be signed. In my opinion, just because the "x" grade school class isn't around, doesn't mean "x" won't be able to exist.

But because you have that base knowledge of how to write, you will always know how. If someone was never taught by anyone in the first place, the autograph as we know it is gone shortly

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

But because you have that base knowledge of how to write, you will always know how. If someone was never taught by anyone in the first place, the autograph as we know it is gone shortly

I think writing in general will always be taught. I can't speak for people 1,000 years from now. But right now, and even the next 20-30 years, I would safely guarantee that people will know how to write with paper and a pen, thus the autograph would still be around and be want by fans of the game.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I think writing in general will always be taught. I can't speak for people 1,000 years from now. But right now, and even the next 20-30 years, I would safely guarantee that people will know how to write with paper and a pen, thus the autograph would still be around and be want by fans of the game.

"Guarantee" is a strong word. Time will tell...

SCF Rewards
    Country

You need to sign your name on so many documents throughout your entire life.

North American schools are not rich enough to put a computer / tablet / ipad in each childs hands when they start to do anything that requires a pad and pen.

There is no way, in our lifetime, our childrens lifetime, their childrens lifetime .... and beyond that .... that writing will be extinct.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast