Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poll: How many games will Zeke have to sit?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

I despise mob rule, thought police, political correctness and all other modern forms of insanity ... people are supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty" in America and imho no one should lose their right to work because they were merely "accused" of something , especially if the Police don't feel the need to even charge that person ...

I'm not sure how the NFL's ruling qualifies as mob rule, thought police, political correctness. Employers have the right to impose rules upon their employees and impose consequences for failure to abide by them.

Elliott has not "lost his right" to work. He has been suspended.
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'm not sure how the NFL's ruling qualifies as mob rule, thought police, political correctness. Employers have the right to impose rules upon their employees and impose consequences for failure to abide by them.

Elliott has not "lost his right" to work. He has been suspended.

My point was that the NFL's current rules are only the way they are because of outside pressure, mob-rule and political correctness. I have no doubt the NFL would like to just say, "We'll let the Police and the courts do their job and act accordingly once they make their determination" but in the time we live in, they feel they can't do that ... it just rubs me the wrong way.

Also being suspended is "losing the right to work". Zeke wants to play football and the Police and Courts have no problem with playing football, but the NFL, do to outside influences, has taken away his right to play (work) even though he was never even charged, let alone convicted of anything.

No, don't get me wrong ... I think he'll get the full 6 games and if he did what the woman claims he did, I think he should be rotting in a jail ... but ... in a country where one is supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, this sort of stuff bothers me ...

SCF Rewards
    Country

My point was that the NFL's current rules are only the way they are because of outside pressure, mob-rule and political correctness. I have no doubt the NFL would like to just say, "We'll let the Police and the courts do their job and act accordingly once they make their determination" but in the time we live in, they feel they can't do that ... it just rubs me the wrong way.

Also being suspended is "losing the right to work". Zeke wants to play football and the Police and Courts have no problem with playing football, but the NFL, do to outside influences, has taken away his right to play (work) even though he was never even charged, let alone convicted of anything.

No, don't get me wrong ... I think he'll get the full 6 games and if he did what the woman claims he did, I think he should be rotting in a jail ... but ... in a country where one is supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, this sort of stuff bothers me ...

We have to realize that neither your nor I have likely been aware of 1% of the evidence in this case. We only know what the media has found out and has released to the public.

A suspension doesn't truly take away his right to work. It just takes away his ability to work for that employer (the NFL). He does not have a "right" to work for the NFL- it is a privilege. There are other football leagues, like the CFL, they just don't happen to pay what the NFL does.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

We have to realize that neither your nor I have likely been aware of 1% of the evidence in this case. We only know what the media has found out and has released to the public.

A suspension doesn't truly take away his right to work. It just takes away his ability to work for that employer (the NFL). He does not have a "right" to work for the NFL- it is a privilege. There are other football leagues, like the CFL, they just don't happen to pay what the NFL does.

I disagree entirely.

Firstly, I cannot believe the NFL has "more" info than the Police did and if the Police didn't even bother to recommend charges, it seems outside influences are why the NFL decided to suspend him, no?

Secondly, Zeke has a legally binding contract with the NFL and Dallas Cowboys ... he does indeed have a legal right to play football, not a mere privilege ... some undrafted free agent has the privilege to maybe play in the NFL ... Zeke has a legal right.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

BTW I am NOT in any way a Zeke, Dak or Cowboys fan ... I don't like them at all but this sort of stuff bothers me as it just doesn't feel right and seems to fly in the face of "innocent until proven guilty".

SCF Rewards
    Country

I disagree entirely.

Firstly, I cannot believe the NFL has "more" info than the Police did and if the Police didn't even bother to recommend charges, it seems outside influences are why the NFL decided to suspend him, no?

Secondly, Zeke has a legally binding contract with the NFL and Dallas Cowboys ... he does indeed have a legal right to play football, not a mere privilege ... some undrafted free agent has the privilege to maybe play in the NFL ... Zeke has a legal right.

Elliott's right to play is based on him adhering to the rules he agreed to when he signed the contract. Violate the rules; get suspended. That is the right of the employer. It is one of the conditions he agreed to when he signed his contract. So he himself violated the terms of the agreement (at least in the eyes of the league).

The fact that the District Attorney in Ohio sought to not proceed is not necessarily an indication that they did not believe in his guilt. As I stated earlier, the District Attorney's office has limited resources and must decide how to use those resources. It will pursue the cases it most feels serve the public interest and have the best chance for success.

As I also previously stated, the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA is such that the league does not have to meet the same burden of proof as in a court of law. In a criminal case the prosecution has to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt. In the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA, the league is permitted to make decisions based on what they believe to have been most likely- a completely different standard.

The league's right to suspend him, as bargained between the employer and the union supersedes any right he has to play.

As an aside, if I signed a contract paying me the type of money NFL players receive, I would make sure not to put myself in any situation where I jeopardize my status

SCF Rewards
    Country

Peter- Just like last year, week one is against the Giants. The come Broncos, Cards, Rams, Packers, and 49er's. Definitely a couple of big ones.

That Packers game could end up determining the #1 seed for the NFC
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Peter- When you consider the Cowboys still have McFadden, Alfred Morris, and Ronnie Hillman, they could still have a formidable ground attack- especially with their O Line.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Elliott's right to play is based on him adhering to the rules he agreed to when he signed the contract. Violate the rules; get suspended. That is the right of the employer. It is one of the conditions he agreed to when he signed his contract. So he himself violated the terms of the agreement (at least in the eyes of the league).

The fact that the District Attorney in Ohio sought to not proceed is not necessarily an indication that they did not believe in his guilt. As I stated earlier, the District Attorney's office has limited resources and must decide how to use those resources. It will pursue the cases it most feels serve the public interest and have the best chance for success.

As I also previously stated, the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA is such that the league does not have to meet the same burden of proof as in a court of law. In a criminal case the prosecution has to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt. In the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA, the league is permitted to make decisions based on what they believe to have been most likely- a completely different standard.

The league's right to suspend him, as bargained between the employer and the union supersedes any right he has to play.

As an aside, if I signed a contract paying me the type of money NFL players receive, I would make sure not to put myself in any situation where I jeopardize my status

Technically you are 100% right, so I'm not arguing with you ... however it's not as if Zeke had a choice regarding his contract ... the collective bargaining agreement is what it is and he couldn't have his one contract outside of its parameters ... I just find the entire thing rather absurd.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You are way higher on the Cowboys than I am ... I don't even think they'll make the playoffs and didn't think they would even before Zeke got suspended.

I think the Giants win the NFC East and the Cowboys as a team that will merely be fighting for a wild card spot with the Eagles, Cardinals and two of the following three (whoever doesn't win the division) NFC South teams: Falcons, Bucs and Panthers ... so I had the Cowboys with a 40% shot at grabbing the #5 or #6 seed this year but failing to do so as I think the NFC South will have two teams in the playoffs and I think the Cardinals schedule is so easy they will make it as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast