Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Ebay may not be the only marketplace, but it is by far the biggest. Honestly, if a card books for $30, people at shows and shops are asking $30, but it is readily available on ebay for $10, that's where the overwhelming number of people in this hobby will go. I would then consider this a $10 card. It gets trickier with rarer items, but this is how I see it for readily available items. Ebay isn't the only source, but it is the biggest and most influential single reference.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Just gotta vent on another card from my traders. 16-17 SPX BV are low across the board (or so I'm told, they're not in my 2016 book. I refuse to subscribe to the online price guide.), but look at this example:

16-17 SPX Lafleur (want something great for this one) by Maggot Cards, on Flickr

This massive dual-jersey of a long-retired HOFer, from the most collectible team, from a $25/card product books at... wait for it... $12
    Lol! Sorry, but I can't trade this at $12BV.
    Last edited by Maggot; 09-07-2017 at 11:12 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Cardinals Oklahoma City Thunder Kansas City Chiefs
    See wizardofoz82's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Just gotta vent on another card from my traders. 16-17 SPX BV are low across the board (or so I'm told, they're not in my 2016 book. I refuse to subscribe to the online price guide.), but look at this example:

16-17 SPX Lafleur (want something great for this one) by Maggot Cards, on Flickr

This massive dual-jersey of a long-retired HOFer, from the most collectible team, from a $25/card product books at... wait for it... $12
    Lol! Sorry, but I can't trade this at $12BV.

There is one on eBay right now for $10.25 + $3.99 shipping. BV looks pretty spot on to me.

Monthly is probably too slow to reflect the market but if you were trying to trade that card to me I'd put a $10-15 value on it based on Ebay and Beckett.
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 09-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There is one on eBay right now for $10.25 + $3.99 shipping. BV looks pretty spot on to me.

BV, in this case, matches up with sale value. The problem is that BV in other cases doesn't.
    For instance, this card is valued the same as just about any generic UD GJ card that would sell for $1. Or, if you want a more extreme example, you'd have to trade two of these Lafleurs to get the $.25 Spezza insert I pointed out in the OP.

SCF Rewards
    Country

BV, in this case, matches up with sale value. The problem is that BV in other cases doesn't.
    For instance, this card is valued the same as just about any generic UD GJ card that would sell for $1. Or, if you want a more extreme example, you'd have to trade two of these Lafleurs to get the $.25 Spezza insert I pointed out in the OP.

I would call the Lafleur a solid $5 - $10 card. Which means BV should be in the 10 - 20 range. That only matters though when trading against similar styles.

If the common jersey card is about $1, then yes this card is 5 - 10X that
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Dergula's Items on eBay

I don't know if anyone follows this logic but I kind of trade cards by ratings.

Example:

I have had many inquiries regarding a Jean Beliveau auto in my collection. I have had offers for the rare leaf insert for him to modern day autos of some Leafs (Cujo/Potvin etc.)

Now I see it as a Legendary Signed Auto (now that he is deceased, means I have a harder time thinking of trading him).

I won't trade that for anything modern because my thinking is this:

1. He is a Legend and HOFer.
    2. He is from a golden age of Hockey
    3. He isn't around anymore

That cujo Game Used auto sure looks nice and it is a nice card, but he isn't a legend of the that calibur. Another thing is Cujo has many cards I could get in lesser trades. I won't let it go for a legends autograph.

I would tend to think I'd let this card go for a Leaf of the same type of status. I'm thinking of a Tim Horton auto or maybe a Ted Lindsay. Something that would be almost a swap. Legend for Legend. That is my line of thinking I take to all trades.

OK I have a Laine Auto RC. Id like trade that towards one of the big 3 Leaf Rookies that I collect. I'm a collector not a seller first and foremost.

If I can trade for my Leafs I would do that over selling. However I would sell the Laine RC to invest towards another Leaf. Thats how it works for me.

I dunno but this is a great topic for discussion. I often get confused by BVs and where to look at what things are worth but I fall back on my rating system for when I try to trade.

In a weeks time I have a Centennial case of Leafs coming my way that I will bust and binder then proudly display in my mantle. I'm sure after reading RGMs story of the Habs version that Beckett will get this wrong as well. Time will tell though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345