Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

will Giancarlo Stanton get 60-61-62+ ????

with 46 HR and 40 games to go
    with 24 HR in his past 41 games
    with 21 HR in April - May- June
    with 12 HR in July and 13 HR so far in August

will Giancarlo Stanton become the first non Steroid / non PED player to challenge Babe Ruth / Roger Maris ????

will he get 14-15-16 or more, by the end of the year?
    will he get it in 158 games ?? (mikez corrects me it should reference 154)

60 is still the magic number for me, even after Bonds got 75 (royer corrects me it is 73)
    and even after the McGwire / Sosa duels in 98-99
    Last edited by abide; 09-06-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: correction
    Collecting Shawn Green [BB] GU Cards only [have about 200, have most commons, trade only] - Semi "Master collecting" 2012 Topps BB - [+ 12 Topps Chrome, 12 Topps mini On Line, 12 Topps Opening Day] - 2012 Panini Prizm BB prizm - green, blue, red, gold, ice, pulsar [trade only] - Prefer trades of $30 bv min. PWE trades ok for small trades. It's just a hobby. Have fun and be fair.

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    My gut instinct is no. There are too many things that can happen between now and then. Injury, cold streak, seeing less hittable pitches. If he had been hotter before the All Star break I would say he had a shot, but I think he will be in the 55 to 57 area at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by royer33455 View Post
    I thinks Bond got 73 not 75.

Eric
    shows you how much I paid attention to Bonds, who was so obviously juiced up
    I don't even know exactly how many he hit that year, or for his career.
    I have put those #'s out of my mind

I followed McGwire vs Sosa closely, in 1998. it was magical, and I chose to believe that they were not on anything that was a PED
    I knew McGwire was on Androdoserine, everyone did, he did not hide it.
    he was a body builder in addition to a ball player, and that was a supplement he took
    didn't see anything wrong with it at the time
    wasn't so sure about Sosa, and for that reason I was rooting for McGwire [70] to out hit Sosa [66]
    Collecting Shawn Green [BB] GU Cards only [have about 200, have most commons, trade only] - Semi "Master collecting" 2012 Topps BB - [+ 12 Topps Chrome, 12 Topps mini On Line, 12 Topps Opening Day] - 2012 Panini Prizm BB prizm - green, blue, red, gold, ice, pulsar [trade only] - Prefer trades of $30 bv min. PWE trades ok for small trades. It's just a hobby. Have fun and be fair.

I think he will fall short just because he has had such a torrid pace that I can't see him keeping it up for the remainder of the season.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

the previous standard was 154 games, when ruth hit 60. schedule went to 162 in '61 when maris his 61.
    always looking for current roster tigers rc's,gu & autos, w/focus on verlander, cabrera. justin verlander pc 493 different
    Hidden Content
    needs list
    Hidden Content

My money is on 62 for Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by mikez1031 View Post
    the previous standard was 154 games, when ruth hit 60. schedule went to 162 in '61 when maris his 61.
    In that case it belonged to McGwire after Ruth. He hit #61 in '98 in game 144 of the season. Bonds then also passed it in less than 154 games so by that logic the record is actually his at this point in time.

You can argue about steroids and asterisks if you wish but point of fact is that there have been PEDs all the way back to the beginning of baseball. The last, probably only, "clean" home run record by the standards you are trying to set is Roger Connor's career number of 138.

All the single season records have too many caveats to consider them equal to each other and say that any of them are valid other than perhaps the three way tie at 4 by Pike, Meyerle, and Treacey in 1871 in what is considered the inaugural year of MLB. The first time Ruth set the single season record it was at 29 in 1919 but he played a 140 game schedule versus the 112 game schedule that Ned Williamson hit 27 in back in 1884. Williamson's record is also dubious though because of the dimensions of Williamson's home park. In every year before 1884 at Lakeshore Park balls hit over the short outfield fences were ground rule doubles. They changed that ground rule for the 1884 season which as the last at Lakeshore. Williamson hit 25 of his 27 homers that season at Lakeshore. He also set the record in 112 games instead of the 98 game schedule that Harry Stovey had in which he hit 14 home runs. We're now flying down the slippery slope on a rocket sled on wheels. Baseball has changed and evolved. Asterisks don't do anybody any good.

Ruth tried testosterone injections (as they existed in that time). We also know that he used an illegal bat on at least one occasion. http://baseballresearcher.blogspot.c...ing-truth.html

Maris played in an era when there were two coffee pots in every club house, one loaded (full of greenies) and one regular. Greenie use was rampant from the late 50s - early 90s. Most of the stars (Aaron, Mays, Mantle, Gwynn, Boggs, Bonds wouldn't surprise me, you name someone and they probably did) of that era have admitted to using them. I've never heard one way or the other about Maris but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he used them since just about everyone else did. I've yet to hear anyone say Aaron should have any of his career accomplishments (HR record, RBI record, etc) stripped even though he is an admitted PED user.

I think Bonds is a Grade A A-hole but the double standard people apply to this situation is disgusting.
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 08-24-2017 at 02:16 PM.

since this post on 8/23, Stanton has hit 7 more in about 14-15 games
    1 per 2 games
    and is now on 53 as of 9/5, with 24 games to play
    needs 9 for 62
    any updates to the predictions?
    any new participants in the prediction and prognostication look at a crystal ball

Not saying he is or isn't (along with basically everyone else in the league) but why are people so sure that Stanton is "clean"? I mean I remember getting a ton of flack on here for merely suggesting that Bonds might be juicing and was met with he hasn't failed a test and where's your proof? Now everyone tries to make it seem like they were against Bonds from day 1 when they weren't.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I will give my answer Pwaldo, and I speak only for myself.
    I don't have a sense that he has gotten much bigger in the past 5 years.
    I have not heard any whispers that he's a suspected PED user from someone that saw him in high school when he was a banjo hitter.
    He came into the league as a power hitter, and he's the same guy, just more experienced and healthy,
    it all comes down to this, in an age when everyone is suspect, it seems possible he is clean.

I did not intend this question to be a referendum on Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Piazza, Bagwell, or anyone else.

I simply meant to say, 60 is still a magic number to me, and not much chatter about Stanton potentially joining the club.

There are some that hold that the only one in it is Ruth
    some say it is Ruth and Maris
    some say it is Ruth, Maris and an asterisk
    Some say it is Ruth, Maris, and then Bonds / McGwire / Sosa with an asterisk
    Some say a season does not matter its a career, and its Aaron, Ruth and Mays [and Bonds with an asterisk]

100 Baseball fans gets you 100 opinions.
    so lets just talk about Stanton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast