Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals
    See markw2856's Items on eBay

1963 Stargell rookie-this one?

Was wondering if this card is rare or not and if so is it worth much. I purchased a lot of cards recently and came across this card. The picture is what I took on my phone in the last month and I sent it off to PSA in the last week. I know it is a lower grade card so would factor on the signature. Figure if it isn't rare or worth much I would keep it. I am not big with signatures on cards, but I do love the signature. Thanks for any information!
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SCF Rewards
    Country

The card looks to be in really good condition (don't know how much condition factors into autographed card play) but since he is a deceased Hall of Famer and from a pretty popular team that card has to be worth a lot more than if it wasn't autographed by him. Don't know how often he signed that card but if you collected Stargell that would be the one most would want autographed by him.

Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply and information. I haven't graded with PSA much before. You gave me an idea from one of your comments so I decided to look up the pop report for this card autographed. Not sure if I read it right, but I think only 6 are registered through PSA. Two are authentic, 1 is 3.5, 1 is 4, 1 is 4.5, and 1 is 7. I know the card has some minor issues, also has a small crease below the signature which I don't think messes with the signature. Guess will see on the grading as I sent it for card and auto grading.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Didn't want to start a new thread. Besides the Stargell, I found this 66 Topps Ernie Banks auto. Seems different he signed it with the Cubs part also but maybe he did that some.

ErnieBanks66.jpeg

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings

Greetings:
    The Banks autograph looks fishy to me compared to other autos I've seen of his as for the Stargell it's not that rare of a RC I just hope that you are successful in having a legitimate autograph of Pops Stargell like my colleague PWALDO stated Stargell is dead so it's hard to determine how many autographs exist of his on his RC.

"Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
    S.R.'75
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply. Yeah am hoping the Stargell auto is legit as well. I know both cards without the autos are real common so would be a neat find.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Cardinals Oklahoma City Thunder Kansas City Chiefs
    See wizardofoz82's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

That Banks auto doesn't look like the two that I have, however I know his signature changed during his career and what is on your card seems like a transitional auto. Early on the E in Ernie and B in Banks were more of a traditional looping cursive E and B and they ended up as an E and B without any loops (more like a squiggly line) later in his career. I'd have the Banks checked too. I've never seen the Chicago Cubs inscription but Banks was a friendly signer and would inscribe pretty much anything.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply and information. I haven't graded with PSA much before. You gave me an idea from one of your comments so I decided to look up the pop report for this card autographed. Not sure if I read it right, but I think only 6 are registered through PSA. Two are authentic, 1 is 3.5, 1 is 4, 1 is 4.5, and 1 is 7. I know the card has some minor issues, also has a small crease below the signature which I don't think messes with the signature. Guess will see on the grading as I sent it for card and auto grading.

Dang that's a shame because it looks great in the scan. Still an amazing card with that but without that crease you might have been able to top the 7.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army

I would be surprised if the Stargell gets higher then a 4. The sig and the crease is gonna decrease the surface grade to probably a 1. hope the sig is legit good luck

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for all of the replies and comments. To wizardofoz82 love the name, still one of my favorite players of all time.

Doubt will get it back for another week or two but will post a pic if comes back authentic. I did decide to grade both the card and auto so it might hurt the value some, but it peaked my curiosity. Got this lot at a sale and know the family so if is legit probably will sell it off and give them some more money. Did a quick EBay search and saw this card ungraded/unauthenticated and went for $1199 back in July. Would be thrilled if I got a fraction of that just shocked to see it go for that much not authenticated.

I have a few local card shops and I took the Banks into both of them. One of them said they would buy the Banks no questions asked. The other said he is 50/50 on it being authentic. Said it could be real, also said he could have had someone else close to him possibly sign it. I have no clue if it was mailed in, etc so definitely understand that. Will send in down the road.

Last edited by markw2856; 09-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast