The autograph, does it increase or decrease the value of a card?

When I first started collecting cards, I was told by other collectors that whatever you do, DO NOT get it signed by the player. It will decrease the value of the card. But does it really? Either way I'm going to keep getting autographs on cards because I love the way cards look signed. Topps, and Bowman (and back in the day Upper Deck) have signed cards in their packs, and these cards are extremely expensive depending on the player. I have a 1987 Topps Paul Molitor, that I got autographed years ago. I love this card, and don't care about it's value, because I got a great memory from it which is why i collect autographs. But is it considered as valuable as a 2017 Bowman signed Kris Bryant that someone pulls out of a pack? Paul is a Hall of Famer. Kris is just starting his Hall of Fame career. Seems like the Molitor should be worth more at this point.
    Collecting Topps Brewers, and PCs of Jonathan Lucroy, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, and Ken Griffey Jr. Have a want list that's titled "My want Topps".

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    I'm guessing the certification of the Bryant would precede over a IP autograph. As for the value going down, maybe just in terms of set building? If one card of 10 in a set is autographed, it would look out of place and not part of the set
    This being said, I agree with you, I'd much rather get a card autographed if I had the opportunity.

Yes you are correct that collectors years ago believed that getting a card signed by the player destroyed the value of it. But that was before actual autograph cards were released and when people actually believed Beckett magazine. While some people would find the Paul Molitor worth less than the non signed version the vast vast majority of collectors now would prefer the Molitor signed to an unsigned one when given the choice.

Also I hate to say it but the Kris Bryant would probably be more valuable since more collectors now have heard of him and he's one of the most popular and best players in the game today.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content