Thread: The Babe vs Honus

The Babe vs Honus

Hello all, I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times but it's something that bugs me.
    Question: Without market price being a factor, would you rather have the Honus Wagner T-206 or the Babe Ruth 1915 Baltimore News/ 1916 M-109 Sporting News.
    Wagner is HOF, granted. His particular T-206 has, depending who you ask, around 60 known cards. The latest auction went for $3.8 Million.
    Ruth is one of the greatest baseball and sport icons ever. The 1915 card has only a few (2-10 depending..). Yet the latest one to be sold at auction went for $570K and the M-109 for $717K?
    I understand collectables pricing isn't an exact science. Notoriety, hype, and condition etc have a lot to do with value. But the Wagner cards just doesn't seem to deserve that much value.
    What do you think?

Mike

The Wagner is also in one of the most recognizable and collected vintage sets of all time so I would figure that would have something to do with it. I mean if you pop that out even non card collectors might know the year and set the card is from but I'm pretty sure if you did a poll on this card site most people would have no clue what a "Babe Ruth rookie card" is. And it is not just Ruth as a few great HOF players basically have no well known rookie card out there.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Very simple, it all comes down to how much the person who really really really wants it AND has the money to pay for it NO MATTER who is on the card. Have a good night.

Yeah I guess hypotheticals don't really count. I'd love the Ruth card but real world I would take the Wagner

I don't know if adding links is considered spamming on this forum so I won't add it but there's an article about "7 cards rarer than Honus Wagner". It's interesting

I'd definitely take the Wagner then sell it and buy whatever I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by #HTTR View Post
    I don't know if adding links is considered spamming on this forum so I won't add it but there's an article about "7 cards rarer than Honus Wagner". It's interesting
    Shouldn't be spamming at all. Outside of a few rival sports card forums every other site is basically allowed to be linked to on here.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Thanks. Good to know.

Well here's the link to 7 Sports cards rarer Than Honus Wagner

http://www.cycleback.com/rarerthanhonus.html