Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

About Panini coming back or Topps coming back?

Panini.

It's going to be an interesting few months ahead.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

I liked Score, so it would be cool to get that back.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's going to be an interesting few months ahead.

Not really that interesting. If Panini gets a license they will eventually kill off Upper Deck pretty quickly (buy them out?) and then finish off Topps soon after. Then Panini can complete their plan of bringing the hobby back to people buying packs of "stickers" to fill out Panini albums.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Panini had really found their groove at the end, after a rough start. If they could pick up where they left off at, my waning interest in cards might pick up again.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See frankie5s's Items on eBay

I'm all for having 3-4 licenses out there as long as they limit the amount of high-end releases per year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tired of the super high wax prices with the same autos/event worn memorabilia. I'd much rather chase tough inserts and parallels and see wax prices come down. Bring back the days when Pacific, ITG, Topps and UD were all in and we saw at least 1 release per week during the hockey season but the wax didn't hammer your wallet. Make autos and GAME USED tough hits again. I know this is likely a pipe dream but I'd love to see it.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Not really that interesting. If Panini gets a license they will eventually kill off Upper Deck pretty quickly (buy them out?) and then finish off Topps soon after. Then Panini can complete their plan of bringing the hobby back to people buying packs of "stickers" to fill out Panini albums.

That's a weird thing to say. They didn't come remotely close to "killing off" Upper Deck last time around.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm all for having 3-4 licenses out there as long as they limit the amount of high-end releases per year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tired of the super high wax prices with the same autos/event worn memorabilia. I'd much rather chase tough inserts and parallels and see wax prices come down. Bring back the days when Pacific, ITG, Topps and UD were all in and we saw at least 1 release per week during the hockey season but the wax didn't hammer your wallet. Make autos and GAME USED tough hits again. I know this is likely a pipe dream but I'd love to see it.

I would also like to see some scaling back, but I think that genie is too long out of the bottle now. And in a way, hitting good autos and game used has been a tough hit in the past two years--by design. UD has essentially made it so that whatever McDavid or Matthews comes out of the break is "the case hit" in many circumstances. These checklists with dozens of rookies that don't get any hype or hobby love have really hurt things because there's no demand for Kevin Fiala or Emile Poirier or any of these guys who have 500 autos per set plus parallels, while McDavid gets SP'd so he's the only one with any scarcity. To say nothing of how many veterans have stopped signing in recent years--seeing some of the names on the 17-18 Artifacts checklist (i.e. Stamkos) is hopefully a welcome indicator that UD is going to make concerted efforts to repair those relationships so that collectors can collect and hit cards of their favourite stars. It may be too late to salvage memorabilia cards from the dollar bin, but at least with autographs they can make a sustainable and desirable market.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I bolded your last sentence, because I think you really nailed the reality of it.

Game Used cards still do well, when they're PREMIUM swatches. That's about it. Premier Mega Patches, SPGU Supreme Memoribilia. Things like that.

I'm not suggesting they eliminate GU cards - but they simply don't need to put them in all products. UD S1/2 would do fine if the GU Jersey set was reduced to 25 names, and they were case hits (like the autos). By handing out 1 or 2 GU cards per 12 boxes... they'd lower the costs of making the product, lower the retail price, and nobody would really miss it.

That doesn't help other sets that are more dependent on them, but it would be a start.

Autographs - same thing. Less autograph content across the board means that a set like SPA with lots of autograph content will command a really nice premium.

I would also like to see some scaling back, but I think that genie is too long out of the bottle now. And in a way, hitting good autos and game used has been a tough hit in the past two years--by design. UD has essentially made it so that whatever McDavid or Matthews comes out of the break is "the case hit" in many circumstances. These checklists with dozens of rookies that don't get any hype or hobby love have really hurt things because there's no demand for Kevin Fiala or Emile Poirier or any of these guys who have 500 autos per set plus parallels, while McDavid gets SP'd so he's the only one with any scarcity. To say nothing of how many veterans have stopped signing in recent years--seeing some of the names on the 17-18 Artifacts checklist (i.e. Stamkos) is hopefully a welcome indicator that UD is going to make concerted efforts to repair those relationships so that collectors can collect and hit cards of their favourite stars. It may be too late to salvage memorabilia cards from the dollar bin, but at least with autographs they can make a sustainable and desirable market.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's a weird thing to say. They didn't come remotely close to "killing off" Upper Deck last time around.

Since then Upper Deck has lost college football and college basketball. The only thing they really make anymore is some multisport products and hockey (I think they also might have a Marvel non sport license but I don't follow that). So if you are going to add 2 more companies to split the hockey market it is just a reality that Upper Deck won't be around much longer.

I mean Panini has more money than Topps or Upper Deck does and Panini has more licenses to make and sell cards so it really doesn't take a genius to see where this is heading especially since Panini has tried to buy out Upper Deck and Topps before and they were rejected.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Anaheim Ducks
    See dafoefan34's Items on eBay

Ya know, I'd like to see UD have to think long and hard about which products they choose to produce and release. Wouldn't it be fun to see the NHL/PA turn the licensing process into an auction? Say they offer 25 product licensing slots per year and it was up to each brand to make a silent bid on the number of product slots they wanted and what they were willing to pay for each. Production caps would have to be considered to prevent the brands from over producing.

It would allow brands like Topps, Leaf/ITG, PresChoice to get their foot in the door without threatening UD's dominance while giving collectors alternatives.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast