Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ya know, I'd like to see UD have to think long and hard about which products they choose to produce and release. Wouldn't it be fun to see the NHL/PA turn the licensing process into an auction? Say they offer 25 product licensing slots per year and it was up to each brand to make a silent bid on the number of product slots they wanted and what they were willing to pay for each. Production caps would have to be considered to prevent the brands from over producing.

It would allow brands like Topps, Leaf/ITG, PresChoice to get their foot in the door without threatening UD's dominance while giving collectors alternatives.

If they did that every pack would be at least $100 or more as they would have to make up for all the spending and to turn a profit. Supposedly Leaf/ITG owner Mr Gray said that Panini bid so high on the basketball exclusive that they don't even make that much money. They basically outbid Upper Deck, Topps, and Leaf to the point that it wouldn't have even been profitable for them to outbid Panini to get the license. So Panini probably would just choke out all the companies if this scenario or those other companies would have to go the unlicensed route since it would be cheaper.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See iraq1's Items on eBay

they come back or not makes no difference to me, I cut ties with Panini long ago , they proved to me that they don't care about the hobby and they don't appreciate their loyal customers, between 2010-15 alone I spent close to 50K a year on their products , build all their top high end sets , Dominion , Luxury sweet , Crown Royale complete, and I was the only person in the world to put together the complete 325 card Private signing set with all it's variation that alone cost me over $25k and they knew exactly who I was, and where i was at the Expo and they were handing out VIP party invitations to Friends of Friends of shop owners, people that came by our booth the next day wanting to trade what they got at the party because they don't collect Panini cards, and left us big collectors of their junk out, proof that it's 100% all about their pocket and 0% about the loyal customer or anything else . I am very Happy with UD at least they do Care , when I had a problem with one of the UD programs Chris Carlin himself called me and asked for my feedback and my opinion on how to do it in the future , took my opinion or not is not the question at least he made the attempt.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Can you clarify things a touch Potvin? Did you buy much product directly from a LCS? It sounds like they might have given a few invitations to a handful of LCS who then proceeded to choose their customers a ticket. From a company perspective, there is a big difference between people who buy cards from other collectors to build sets and those who buy cases of product time and again. If I was a company producing cards, I would reward those buying the cases, not the individual cards. I'm not saying you don't deserve an invite for being a completionist of sets, but I could see how it didn't work.

Edit to add: The LCS may not care if a customer is a typical Panini buyer if they are at the show and spend a lot of money at the store, they would have good reason to reward that customer with whatever they can as cheaply as possible. This would include a free ticket to a Panini event.
    Last edited by sparty07; 10-02-2017 at 05:30 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thorni2's Items on eBay

they come back or not makes no difference to me, I cut ties with Panini long ago , they proved to me that they don't care about the hobby and they don't appreciate their loyal customers, between 2010-15 alone I spent close to 50K a year on their products , build all their top high end sets , Dominion , Luxury sweet , Crown Royale complete, and I was the only person in the world to put together the complete 325 card Private signing set with all it's variation that alone cost me over $25k and they knew exactly who I was, and where i was at the Expo and they were handing out VIP party invitations to Friends of Friends of shop owners, people that came by our booth the next day wanting to trade what they got at the party because they don't collect Panini cards, and left us big collectors of their junk out, proof that it's 100% all about their pocket and 0% about the loyal customer or anything else . I am very Happy with UD at least they do Care , when I had a problem with one of the UD programs Chris Carlin himself called me and asked for my feedback and my opinion on how to do it in the future , took my opinion or not is not the question at least he made the attempt.

Agree completely.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Coyotes Buffalo Sabres Tampa Bay Rays
    See hunngarr's Items on eBay

Topps already has the foot in the door on the digital side of things with the Skate app. Too bad those cards they made in the app never get made in real life.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Just heard a rumor that panini is back into hockey.
    Not official yet but seems like a done deal anyone heard anything?

I sure hope so! Been waiting three years for my Tarasenko/Hertl/+2 redemption. And I don't have enough Tomas Hertl cards...

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Topps already has the foot in the door on the digital side of things with the Skate app. Too bad those cards they made in the app never get made in real life.

I think the Topps Skate cards look pretty cool (even if it's Digital). I think Topps could also use that as proof (+ money goes a long way, too) that they are serious about getting back into hockey cards, and their Topps Skate app is a good example of that.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Coyotes Buffalo Sabres Tampa Bay Rays
    See hunngarr's Items on eBay

Last year the usage didn't seem to be that high, compared to the baseball. You can get a feel for how many people use it by seeing how many people enter into the free contests. Maybe even Topps is using that to judge their market for cards as well. If there is only 500 some people playing the daily fee portion of the app, maybe it isn't enough incentive to fork out for the license and the cost to make the actual cards? We'll see.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Anaheim Ducks
    See dafoefan34's Items on eBay

Sooo.... Any "news" on Panini or a potential new entrant?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New Jersey Nets New York Rangers
    Twitter: @http://twitter.com/ElCaminoBilly COMC Cards For Sale

Panini really got it right with Score. Counting the updates the 13-14 set was about 750 cards. That's the way it should be for the flagship set. Everyone in the league should get at least one card per season. I would be thrilled to have them back...even more thrilled to see them do it right in the NBA which is where the majority of my collecting has been.
    Panini hasn't actually left the NHL...they still produce the stickers every year. I just opened my first three packs of the 2017-18 set today.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast