Collector sells hockey items to museum for $2M, hopes for permanent display

Mike Wilson can get worked up about hockey history.

So worked up that on the day he sold nearly $2 million worth of hockey memorabilia to the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Wilson was moved to tears not of joy, but raw emotion at the prospect of handing off personal treasures he has been collecting for more than 50 years.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...nian-of-hockey
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

2. Kronozio
    Sounds like one epic collection! Good for him for keeping it up all these years. Couldn't have been easy.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

How does the museum make enough money that they can buy a collection for $2 million?
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Hobby Insider Boss

Country
    SCF Rewards

Transferred Feedback
    Hobby Insider (204)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    How does the museum make enough money that they can buy a collection for $2 million?
    Many museums are just private collections on display. Could have been purchased by a private owner, or the collection was funded by a private donor to the museum.
    Cheers,
    Jeremy

Like Gomaz said, there are many ways for this to work. From a capital campaign that fund raises with the specific goal of buying this collection, to a buyer who agrees to loan it indefinitely to the museum, to using revenue generated from admissions to buy it outright/issue a bond to pay for it over a handful of years.