Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poll: Would YOU Trade Brees and/or Luck to Rebuild?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Question The Future of the SAINTS & COLTS... YOUR Thoughts?

The Saints are done ... in fact, they've been done for years and simply didn't realize it.

Personally, I believe this is the perfect year to TANK if ever there was one as there are literally SEVEN 1st round talent QBs expected to enter the upcoming NFL Draft in: Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph and Jake Browning

If I'm the Saints owner I'm tanking this year without telling any of the players. I'm merely informing Sean Payton that such is the plan and that if he carries it out (via curious play-calling, clock management, substitution patterns and the like of course), a nice contract extension is his, one which will allow him to remain the Saints coach long-term and one that will allow him to try and win another SB with a young stud QB.

Then, this offseason, I'm re-signing Drew Brees to a 3 year contract ... once the ink is dry and the second I'm able under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, I am then TRADING Brees to a QB needy team that wants to "win now" such as the Texans, Jaguars, Dolphins, Ravens, Bengals, etc., for as much as I can possibly get in draft picks.

I'm then drafting my QB of the future and hopefully a stud offensive lineman or defensive playmaker to go with him and looking forward to the future.

By the way, if I'm the Colts owner ... I'm doing the same thing. I'm tanking hard this year and trading Andrew Luck in the offseason for a king's ransom. I realize Luck is the ONLY great player the Colts have ... and that is exactly why I would trade him. Football is the ultimate "team game" and one great player surrounded by a bunch of middling talent is not going to ever win anything of merit. I'd rather trade Luck for a King's ransom and try to build a great team from scratch with the draft capital trading him would provide then simply watch him turn into the next Archie Manning or Tony Romo and watch my team never win anything.

WHAT SAY YOU?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

The Saints are done because Sean Payton is the coach, that team needs a complete overhaul, same with the Colts Pagano is only still there because of Chuck Strong his time has come and gone also, both franchises are wasting talented quarterbacks due to insufficient defenses.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The Saints are done because Sean Payton is the coach, that team needs a complete overhaul, same with the Colts Pagano is only still there because of Chuck Strong his time has come and gone also, both franchises are wasting talented quarterbacks due to insufficient defenses.

I actually agree with you ... but ... Payton would never agree to TANK without a guaranteed extension in place and Brees is too old to have as your QB if you are building for the future.

As for the Colts, I expect them to go after both Jim Harbaugh and David Shaw this offseason and keep Luck ... but ... I'd trade Luck as he just doesn't have enough talent surrounding him to win big in Indy imho.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There are good reasons to trade both and to keep both but my take is for the Saints to trade Brees and the Colts to keep Luck. For me the reasoning would be that Brees is older and they would be better off doing what you said above. But Luck is younger and I believe he has a higher ceiling than those who could be drafted in the upcoming draft (not saying Luck lives up to that potential but he has more) and it would be easier to just build around him and wait for guys like Brady, Big Ben, etc to retire and hopefully the Colts would be better by that time and have enough around Luck to make multiple Super Bowl trips with him. So to make a long story short I'd keep Luck because he has more left in the tank than Brees does.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

There are good reasons to trade both and to keep both but my take is for the Saints to trade Brees and the Colts to keep Luck. For me the reasoning would be that Brees is older and they would be better off doing what you said above. But Luck is younger and I believe he has a higher ceiling than those who could be drafted in the upcoming draft (not saying Luck lives up to that potential but he has more) and it would be easier to just build around him and wait for guys like Brady, Big Ben, etc to retire and hopefully the Colts would be better by that time and have enough around Luck to make multiple Super Bowl trips with him. So to make a long story short I'd keep Luck because he has more left in the tank than Brees does.

Would you then advise the Colts rest Luck for this year and all-out tank, as otherwise, he has very little around him to do anything with ... they need a nearly complete overhaul even if they keep Luck, no?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Would you then advise the Colts rest Luck for this year and all-out tank, as otherwise, he has very little around him to do anything with ... they need a nearly complete overhaul even if they keep Luck, no?

It makes no sense to keep rushing him back onto the field for a chance to make the playoffs so I'd sit him until he is absolutely 100% healthy. As for tanking the Colts even without Luck probably wouldn't get a top 3 pick as there are a bunch of trash teams in the NFL this season. And to me the difference between a top 3 pick this season and a top 10 pick this season shouldn't be that different as opposed to other draft classes.