Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

How do you value a 1/1?

Someone told me they had a PC 1/1 auto from premier that they don't need and would like to see in the hands of a collector. How would you personally (either side of the transaction) go about coming up with a sale/trade value on a 1/1 auto card?
    Last edited by sparty07; 09-20-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's a tough one.... what exactly the 1/1 is really changes my stance.

You see the term "true 1/1" thrown around. To me that is a 1/1 card that is not a parallel of anything. For those type of cards - I think big values, if the player has much of a following... and in some cases, big values even if they don't.

I'm going to assume this card is something like a Platinum Blue Spectrum Auto from Premier. I think for any of those cards - suggesting they're all worth $100+ is easy. $200+ ? I really don't believe so. I have a hard time that anyone is paying $200 for a patch / auto of Anthony Beauvillier - unless it's a Shield & Auto.

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong... but parallels like that, for "common" guys, don't normally outsell something /5 all that much - but of course if you're looking for a book value that doesn't help either. A big name player? Doesn't have to be a Matthews or McDavid type - if it's someone that's even a couple of tiers down from that... but has a following (let's say Matthew Tkchuk?) it could go really big bucks.

I'll keep using Anthony Beauvillier as an example. If I'm looking to add that card to my collection... would I think trading a John Tavares Patch / Auto that books with a HI value of $200 was fair? Yeah, probably (I don't think it would sell that high).

Again, if it's a common player... I'd expect that type of card to cost me between $100 & $150 - so if I was trading I'd expect to be dealing 1 card that sells in the range... maybe 2 that add up to the high end of that range.... if I was doing a 3 (or more)-for-1, I'd expect to be giving up more value.

I have made one similar trade in my time. It was for this card:

This is one of those ones I call a "true 1/1" as it is not a parallel, has no parallel. One of my most favorite cards.

I traded 2 cards to get... a Grant Fuhr Stanley Cup Banner & Auto from 2013 Oilers Collection (was /15). At the time, that card would have sold for an easy $100, probably could have pushed $150... and an 11-12 SOTT Triple of Orr / Esposito / Bucyk - /25 Another $150(ish) card.

This was a trade I made with a dealer at the Toronto Expo. If he'd been unwilling to trade cards - I would have spent $200 on the Ranford.... and probably $250. If his ask had been any higher, I would have thought about it - but can't say for sure I would have exceeded that.

So I think I probably gave up about $300 in SV for something I think would have sold for $250..... so I guess by the same percentages: If I was getting a card I'd expect to pay $125 for, I'd be comfortable trading 2 cards I thought I could get $150 for.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This was a great analysis, and appreciate the thought put into it. I'm also amazed that you named the exact set that I was talking about. When it comes to veterans do you compare to other veterans in the set, or other sets of the same player? I.e. do you compare blue parallels to other in the same (different year) for similar players, or do you take a similar card in a different set (ultimate vs. premier vs. cup) understanding there is maybe a 10-15% difference in value there.

Also, I understand the shield auto type cards are going to be much bigger price difference than a auto parallel.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Compare it to similar tiered players, with similar tiered sets.

Trade value is near impossible to come up with, seeing as beckett cant get a /99 or /999 or even un-numbered card correct a lot of the time. Cash value is much easier, especially with low print cards

Shields with shields
    Autos with autos
    Parallels with parallels

Try and keep sets / brands similar too.

If you let us know the card in question, im sure the boards can help with approx value.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

You said Premier, I made a lucky guess :)

If I'm trying to assign a value to that card - this is what I would look at first:

Sales of other 1/1s, from the same set, that have equal values for the Gold Spectrum /25
    Sales of other 1/1s, from the same player, and are similar (an auto, similar priced product)

Comparing different years might be tough. I think it's a fair gauge - but when you're dealing with rookies it might not be:

I would expect that a rookie-auto of a guy from 16/17 (even a 1/1) would do better in value than a similar card, from a similar player, from 15/16. Why? Let me keep using Anthony Beauvillier....

I expect there's a few Isles fans that have been picking up his cards this year. I would expect those same collectors (unless there is a huge Anthony Beauvillier fan??) to move onto a new Isles rookie next year, and there would be a whole lot less competition for the card.

Of course, I'm going based on the idea that it would be sold via auction... but I think interest in that card will drop next year - particularly if the rookie is someone who finds himself in the minors the following season (and let's face it, that's where a lot of the rookies from one year go the next - because that's where a lot of them spent their "rookie year" anyway, aside from a couple of games).

If you're looking at a set that has been released a few years in a row... comparing values from one year to the next is fair - if you're talking about sales from (roughly) the same time vs the release.... and probably not a bad thing to compare to even if the sales are more recent. Similar valued player form last year just sold online? Not a bad comparison, but I don't think as good as the first two I suggested.

This was a great analysis, and appreciate the thought put into it. I'm also amazed that you named the exact set that I was talking about. When it comes to veterans do you compare to other veterans in the set, or other sets of the same player? I.e. do you compare blue parallels to other in the same (different year) for similar players, or do you take a similar card in a different set (ultimate vs. premier vs. cup) understanding there is maybe a 10-15% difference in value there.

Also, I understand the shield auto type cards are going to be much bigger price difference than a auto parallel.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Always a difficult challenge trying to determine how much a 1/1 is worth. Parallels I find are usually the easiest because you can see the other low #'d parallels and just add a multiplier or use that as a general ballpark. Say you've got an /10 and a 1/1 from a mid-range set, even a parallel heavy one like OPC Platinum. If the Emerald Surge /10 is $50, you're not entirely out of line to expect anywhere from $150-$250 for the Golden Treasures. Upper Deck and Panini editions tend to go for better than ITG these days. I've had a Carey 1/1 auto jersey from 08-09 Pipes that I had listed on eBay for $150 and didn't get a sniff. It's a strange world sometimes.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

The card in particular is a Ryan Miller 14/15 Premier Blue Auto.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

First off, great question. Really good question.

Nice to see the seller is willing to work with you and wants to see the card go to a good home. It seems like this will have a nice ending for both sides here.

As for the value, it's hard to tell, and really goes by a case-by-case basis, but the above advice is really solid.

Me, personally, since I have been lucky enough to hunt down a few 1/1's for the Enroth PC, I can narrow down a value for what I'm willing to pay earlier on, since I know what Enroth's card values stand at right now, plus I know what I have paid in the past for 1/1's, so that helps.

Aside from your own personal history collecting said player, eBay can be a good tool to narrow down the parallels (if they exist) and gauge it off that, or other 1/1's from the same set & go from there. It's not perfect, and it definitely depends on the person selling the card (sometimes they hold it for ransom), but advice like that does help a lot judging from my past experiences.

Hoping you can land that Miller for the PC! Miller's value has definitely tapered off since his glory days in Buffalo, but he still has a solid following of collectors and many fans. Sounds like a fantastic card. Those Premier 1/1's are beautiful.

Let us know how it goes :)
    Last edited by creasecollector; 09-20-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I like to compare it to other 1/1's of that specific player that are somewhat close in product (Ultimate vs Premier, etc) if you can't match the specific product. Or, use comparable 1/1's in the same product. Compare Miller with another goalie 1/1 from Premier and see what you come up with. IMO, 1/1's are almost always overvalued which usually leads to me leaving them out on the market.

Good luck