Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Flyers Los Angeles Dodgers Los Angeles Lakers
    COMC Cards For Sale

New here, Flyers/Hextall Fan

Hey SCF,

I've collected hockey and baseball cards since I was a kid in the early 90s. I grew up in Los Angeles, but Ron Hextall was always my favorite player and I've been a Flyers fan since then. Around age 6, I found out from a book in the school library that Hextall had scored not one, but two goals as a goalie, and was a feared presence for his physical play and innovative puck-handling. I immediately declared myself both a Hextall and a Flyers fan. I had a teacher that was a Flyers fan and told me about the Broad Street Bullies era, which prompted me to study that period (and hockey history in general). I was hooked. Shortly thereafter, Hextall was traded to Quebec as part of the Lindros deal. While being excited about Lindros, I was mad at him because I felt like he had caused my favorite player to be traded from my favorite team. Of course, after the year in Quebec and the year with the Islanders, Hextall came back to the Flyers, erasing any of that initial anger as the Legion of Doom came into their prime.

My initial collecting goal was to get every Hextall card ever produced. I've definitely achieved that goal for cards produced up until that point, but the number of cards released has, as I'm sure you've noticed, expanded quite significantly since that day in 1994. I had a great LCS owner nearby that encouraged my Hextall collecting and would set aside cards for me, but his shop unfortunately closed down after only a short time. When eBay came around, I was very excited about the prospect of being able to buy cards on the internet, but after getting burned a couple of times in the early days of eBay and losing some of my very limited money (I was 14), I moved on to other things.

Every once in a while I'd think about it, though. I'd taken a look from time to time on eBay and was amazed at how the hobby had changed in my absence. I looked at a checklist on Beckett and was floored at how many Hextall cards were still being produced. Eventually, I started thinking about it more and more, so I created a spreadsheet "just to see" how many I'd need to complete my collection. That turned into me pulling out other cards to sell. After looking through those, not only did I not sell anything, I ended up completing some of the baseball sets I'd tried to complete when I was younger and started purchasing lots of Hextall commons on eBay to work toward completing a set of every Hextall base card from his playing career. Once I got there, I realized that inserts from his career were going for less than I'd expected (I was still in the "/1000 is rare" mindset of the 90s) so I expanded my focus to those as well. Then I realized that I could get a modern game-used jersey card for less than $10, and hey, these newer base cards are better than 90s inserts, and the new inserts are really cool...and I'm back. And now I'm here! My main focus is trying to complete a set of every card from his playing career, with a secondary focus on newer cards. However, this is the first major release cycle since I've been back so I'll probably purchase some boxes and split open some packs for the first time in 20 years. Looking forward to it!

I divide my collection into two parts:
    Playing Career (1987-2000)
    Post-Career (2001-Present)

Playing Career: 285/342 Base & Parallel
    Playing Career: 79/89 Inserts & Specialty

Post-Career is something I'm just getting started on. I have most of the base cards that have come out over the last 17 years (which are mind-blowing to compare to, say, a 1989-90 Topps). I've picked up a fair amount of base and insert parallels, game-used memorabilia cards, 1/1s, things like that. Adding more all the time!

Pleasure to meet you all!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Welcome to the site! It sounds like you have a heck of a Ron Hextall congrats and hopefully you can find lots of stuff for your collection here.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

hextall- Welcome to SCF! You are obviously a dedicated player collector. I hope you can add to your collection here on SCF!
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Welcome to SCF and make sure to check out the site!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Welcome and good luck with such a big collection on Hextall

Unless I missed it but did you ever get any of the cards signed by him

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Browns Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics
    See jonsdoe1432's Items on eBay

Hello and welcome abaord

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Just saw this thread. Wanted to officially welcome you on SCF!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF. It’s interesting how you have the cards broken down to playing career and post career. I like that a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF Steve, enjoy yourself here and have fun adding to your Ron Hextall collection!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sports Card Forum mobile app