Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help... thousand(s)of 1950's cards...

I recently took over ownership of my dads baseball cards and he has like 7 binders full of cards all in sleeves. Most of the cards are like 1952-1954 with some maybe a little older and some a little younger.

with this many cards where do I start to see which ones are valuable enough to take extra precautions in protecting them?

he has multiples, willie mays, hank Aaron, Mickey mantle, roger merris, sandy koufax. He has team picture cards, manager cards, MVP cards where it has multiple players on one card.

some of his cards are not in the best of shape but I would say 90% of them are above a 7?

1. How should I preserve them (some of the sheets are bubbling)
    2. How or where do I find a grading guide
    3. How do I tell which ones are "valuable"
    4. Should I bother sending cards into PSA and it is worth it since I have probably over 1000 cards easily.

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    LucasWoods- Welcome to SCF! One option is to subscribe to the Beckett On-Line Price Guide (Beckett.com) which gives you book values for most cards. Condition will also play a large role. Most of the higher value cards will be the Hall of Famers you mentioned.

You want to preserve the cards in individual holders like the one touch magnetic holders.

Grading the cards can be expensive but can definitely be worth it.
    Always looking for Graded Vintage (Pre-1980)

Welcome to SCF Lucas

As far as value, I would agree with fried on the Beckett online. You could get a paper copy of it if you are looking for an issue to get an idea

However, another option to look at value would be eBay. This would give you a look to see what people are paying for these cards (and see how grading would impact the value of the cards

Slowly..
    Get proper size penny sleeves, holders and resealable team bags.
    There are links for card condition, and Ebay for visuals.
    Also, keep in mind low pop commons and errors. Some cards will command less, some will command more. Then there is the "sentimental value"

For grading.. that will be down the road a bit after you get familiar with years, players you have the picture will get clearer. watch ebay, check c.o.mc

I cant seem to find the guides(re:condition,storage,etc), I know there are many solid guides on SCF somewhere.

Illuminated Jewelers Eye Loupe is a great $20 investment. Also on this subject is lighting..use the sun, overhead lights and hold card at angles to really ck condition.
    Learn cards measurements.
    Last edited by meuandthelot; 09-24-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added info.
    Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.
    As of May 2017 ~ STILL Collect the following --> ALL 01-04 UD SP Legendary cuts Mlb G/U *Also, Topps insert Sp's.
    1985T Mlb mini's issue(Canadian release)
    Vintage & Modern issues: Have old school players but want current players? I may want them, please Pm me.Thank You | GINTER G/U

https://www.psacard.com/SMRPriceGuide/Default.aspx

https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards/

These are probably better than my guides(with help from some great collectors) as SCF seemed to dump them.
    I will look for a solid "Storage guide" but penny sleeves they make vintage sleeves, hard cases/semi rigid and team bags inside a sealed tote will offer best protection.

Good Luck
    Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.
    As of May 2017 ~ STILL Collect the following --> ALL 01-04 UD SP Legendary cuts Mlb G/U *Also, Topps insert Sp's.
    1985T Mlb mini's issue(Canadian release)
    Vintage & Modern issues: Have old school players but want current players? I may want them, please Pm me.Thank You | GINTER G/U

Correction all the cards are from the early 60's with a few in the late 50's and some in the later 60's

I have over 3000 TOPPS cards.... should i focus on protecting certain ones a little more than just having penny sleeves? and where can i find what the valuable 1960s cards are?

Quote Originally Posted by LucasWoods View Post
    Correction all the cards are from the early 60's with a few in the late 50's and some in the later 60's

I have over 3000 TOPPS cards.... should i focus on protecting certain ones a little more than just having penny sleeves? and where can i find what the valuable 1960s cards are?
    LucasWoods- Penny sleeves are only the beginning. You at least want to put them in rigid holders.
    Always looking for Graded Vintage (Pre-1980)

Quote Originally Posted by JFried1029 View Post
    LucasWoods- Penny sleeves are only the beginning. You at least want to put them in rigid holders.
    I have over 3000 cards wouldn't it be very expensive to put them all in ridged holders?

i saw someone mention Beckett to check prices for 1960's cards but from what I saw I would have to pay $80 just to access it?

is there a listing somewhere of the rarer or more sought after cards from the early 60's?

If you were to do pennysleeves with top loaders, it would cost at least $200 for the holders, but it would be worth the investment to help keep the cards in good condition

Do you have any scans of the cards that you have?
    If you have unwanted cards you are looking to purge, please consider a donation to my family's mission in helping to find a cure for Olivia's disorder Diamond Blackfan Anemia. Cards donated will be sold on eBay, COMC or locally in the Buffalo/Niagara area to support the Hidden Content .
    ---
    Shipping done on Saturdays for all Addresses
    ---
    Contact me for any site related issues
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors

Quote Originally Posted by LucasWoods View Post

You can get Beckett Baseball for the month for 11.00.Can get prices online for your cards for a month.Just remember to turn off auto renewal after you purchase it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast