Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

I will ALWAYS stand for the National Anthem

OK, I get it and completely agree 100% that people have the freedom to choose to stand or not or the National Anthem. Personally I find it very rude to NOT do so though when there are service personnel on the field directly in front you. I have the freedom to choose to give my seat to a pregnant woman or elderly person, or not. My freedom, my choice. Again I personally just feel that it is rude not to and that it is the polite and respectful thing to do. I would take it one step further though. While you can not impose a definition of individual freedoms, owners CAN impose definitions of individual job functions. It is my choice and individual freedom to show up in jeans, ignore clients, or not even show up to work at all. There are consequences for my actions and choice of my individual freedoms however. Anyone one of those freedoms could get me suspended without pay or terminated. Just put in the contracts that it is a required function of the job to be on the field and participate as an entire team, in the pregame ceremonies as detailed by the company, in the best practice that reflects the values and mission of the company that you are representing. A failure to follow your job description will result in disciplinary actions. Players have the freedom to choose to miss or be late for practice, and they know the penalties of those choices. players have the freedom to endorse products not affiliated with the NFL (Vitamin Water VS Gatorade), players have the freedom to choose to not participate in post game press conferences or to do so NOT in team approved dress attire. Heck, players have the freedom to choose to use PEDs including Schedule one ILLEGAL drugs, and know the fines and penalties associated with choosing to participate in those individual freedoms. So why is it OK to choose the freedom to use illegal drugs and ignore the media, (which both can cast a negative light on your company/employer) but companies are not willing to set forth best practices and company policies regarding pregame activities?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah you are 100% right that the whole this is a 1st amendment thing is a totally incorrect cop out. Some players were prevented from doing stuff that would have honored troops or people who died on 9/11. I repeat the NFL said no you cannot do that. It was to honor the victims of 9/11 and the NFL said no we have a policy that you cannot. One that has apparently flown out the window with rules in the NFL being totally ignored all weekend.

For those that don't know the 1st amendment protects you from being arrested or stopped by the government from doing or saying something. It does not protect you from being fired from your job because of what you did or said. One only has to reference Hank Williams being fired from his NFL job for what he said about then President Obama as an example. Why this is being used by some news people as cover for the players is baffling to me but I guess those anchors just never received a proper education before....
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

BANNED

Country
    Boston Celtics

seems the nfl wants to pick and choose which rules they want to enforce. also rember deangelo williams want to wear pink all season since his mother had breast cancer and was fined each week since was not oct.wtg nfl

also this is done on there job let one of us try it on ours see what happens

SCF Rewards
    Country

seems the nfl wants to pick and choose which rules they want to enforce. also rember deangelo williams want to wear pink all season since his mother had breast cancer and was fined each week since was not oct.wtg nfl

Yup. They are total hypocrites on this. Peyton Manning wanted to honor Unitas and he had to pay the fine for putting Johnny's number on his cleats or something. A total joke by the NFL and it made me respect Peyton because I would have done the same thing to stick it to the NFL.

And I don't know how true this is but somebody said they have a NFL rule that prevents players and teams from staying in the locker room when the anthem is being played or they will be fined. If true let's see if the NFL enforces it on the teams and players that weren't on the sidelines this Sunday.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

It is a First Amendment issue in that the government can't do anything to stop it. The NFL can do so if they so choose. They are a private organization and can run things as they see fit. They choose not to. So it both is and isn't a First Amendment issue.

Likewise Trump can go sabre-rattling about firing players who protest. He has that right. It doesn't turn into a legal issue until he attempts to force that to happen. Clearly with multiple owners choosing to join with their players and issuing statements denouncing Trump's words, they're going to let his words dissipate like a fart in the wind.

And it's not exactly hypocrisy: tributes on uniforms, whether individual or team-wide, are a change to the uniform itself which has to be approved by the league. I don't fully agree with it, but I get the reasoning behind it. Uniform means uniform-- same for all players, so that rules out individualization of them. And an addition to a jersey is still affecting the jersey, even if it's a small tribute, and typically all changes require league approval during the offseason.

There is no rule preventing players from remaining in the locker room during the anthem. Some random person on Facebook somewhere along the line cited pages A62-63 of the NFL rulebook. News for ya: there are no pages in the rulebook that start with A. And pages 62-63 deal with the enforcement of on-field, in-game penalties. There is nothing about the national anthem anywhere in the rulebook. Even the game procedures manual only suggests that players "should" be on the sidelines. Nothing prescribes penalties to doing so. Players typically weren't even on the sidelines for the anthem until 2009 when the Department of Defense started throwing money at the NFL, who chose to sell out their players as unwitting promotional devices (during the Obama administration... so, Republicans are agreeing with something Obama did? Color me shocked; seriously).

You want players to stay out of politics? Then maybe the government shouldn't have injected itself into sports to begin with.
    Last edited by *censored*; 09-27-2017 at 10:47 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

It really comes down to money in my opinion. If the teams and the NFL find that ticket sales, TV viewership, and merchandise sales decline because of the protests, I don't think we would see any more owners kneeling with the players, or even allowing the players to kneel.
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

You are correct, players do not HAVE to be on the field. No penalty/pay for against it. I would just prefer that if they want to protest, just please stay in the locker room instead of taking a knee or stretching.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

I am not very religious nor am I a Tim Tebow fan but he was ridiculed for praying but now these idiots kneel and it is ok. Very funny

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Get a grip. No one cared that Tebow took a knee in prayer. Players have done that for decades. The so-called "ridiculing" was a false narrative in the race-to-greatest-victimhood that pervades culture today, followed by the "THEY JUST HATE HIM BECAUSE HE'S CHRISTIAN!" idiocy that completely ignores the fact that Tebow is, in all honesty, a terrible passer.

Which, for the record, I believed long before I ever knew his religious views.

SCF Rewards
    Country

With people and companies poisoning the water, land, and air. A national healthcare in shambles, a broken education system and a government running amok murdering hundreds of thousands of people directly and indirectly. A world where thanks to our ignorance our children have no future this is what sets people off? How about honoring veterans by cleaning up our poor excuses for countries that many gave their lives for!

And 2nd of all in the USA and Canada we have privileges not rights. We need to quit confusing the 2.