Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hockey Canada grants one-year reprieve to save minor hockey season in Toronto

After weeks of uncertainty and fear their season would be cancelled, Hockey Canada granted hundreds of minor hockey players a reprieve on Friday, offering a one-year deferral on sweeping changes meant to reshape how children are exposed to the game.

https://www.theathletic.com/113880/2...on-in-toronto/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rydlar99's Items on eBay

Can't read the whole article, but this affects my son (5 yr old, turns 6 next May). They've switched to cross-ice practices and games for Mites here in the GTA. The games haven't started so much at his age (he starts actual games in January), but I can tell you some people aren't overly happy. Some coaches have chosen 1-2 'select' players off their teams and have offered extra ice time to them to practice and scrimmage full length. I'm fortunate that my son was the one selected from his team, but I can imagine others are less happy as it will disadvantage some / create disparity. .

I still pay for the additional arena ice time & coaching - it's not through the official hockey system, but the coaches themselves want to further foster growth for kids showing aptitude for the game. Basically a glorified skills development camp for select players, but on full length ice. Fortunately for me he loves the game and just keeps trying against tougher competition. Any ice time he can get is good ice time.
    Last edited by rydlar99; 10-01-2017 at 10:35 PM.