Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poll: How would you invest your free $100k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Red face The BEST QB Investments if you had $100k to Spend

Let's say you won big on Draft Kings and had a $100k to INVEST on cards of QBs that were still playing.

What cards would you spend your cash on?

Would you play it safe and simply buy Tom Brady PSA 10 RC's as you feel those are guaranteed to increase in value?

Would you take a major risk and drop the full $100k on some rookie QBs who haven't even started a game yet and could turn into the next Brady rags to riches story like Nathan Peterman and Josh Dobbs, etc?

Would you spread it out evenly amongst a whole bunch of QB's that you feel are either a lock for the HOF or on the right track like: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning, Rivers, Jameis, Stafford, Luck, Wilson and Newton?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH A FREE $100K IF THE $100K HAD TO BE SPENT ON QB SPORTSCARDS?

As for me ... as I've already got nearly all the Jameis 1/1s I want ... I might overpay (though I detest ever overpaying for anything, even a pair of socks) for the 2015 NT Colossal NFL Shield auto 1/1 that BlackRose has, one other NFL Shield Auto 1/1 that I know another collector has and then maybe even bust some wax (and I NEVER buy wax) from 2015 Platinum and Spectra as I believe the two top Jameis cards (NFL Shield auto 1/1s) haven't even been pulled yet and those are the only other two 1/1 auto'd shields I need to have ALL of the Jameis 1/1 shield auto'd RC's.

But I'd still have a ton of cash left and while I'm a gambler at heart (at least when it comes to sports cards, collectibles and real estate) I'm not sold on most of the young QBs in the NFL so I'd stay away from Wentz (though I love his game), Dak (overpriced and overhyped imho), Mariota (injury history worries me), Carr (though I also love his game), Goff (though he's in a good market and has a QB whisperer for a coach), Watson (though he's in the worst division in football and is a natural born leader ... I worry about injuries with him), etc., so I do think I'd invest in super high-end 1/1 type RC's, or at least BGS 9.5/10 & PSA 10 autographed RC's of Brady (especially his Contenders Championship Ticket #/100), Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson (He doesn't really impress me but I do think he's on a HOF track and therefore a sound investment) ... and ... Matt Stafford (I feel his cards are ridiculously under-valued as I believe he has a great shot to become the NFL's all-time passing yards leader before all is said and done ... though I think Jameis will shatter his record a few years afterwards).

WHAT SAY YOU?
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 10-04-2017 at 02:00 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Seattle Seahawks
    See Swiggy56's Items on eBay

I would go for Russell Wilson rookies. And with the leftover cash, go after whatever I could get for the Hawks
    I collect Seahawks Relic-GU & 1/1's

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers

Would buy every Colin Kaepernick Auto and RC, and Mitchell Trubisky Rookie cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Rodgers

He's the youngest out of all the old guard plus he plays on the Packers which has very rabid fans. He should compete for a Super Bowl every year he is healthy and he has the talent to win and not choke. So he could basically become the new Brady once Brady and the rest of the other guys retire.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I would go for Russell Wilson rookies. And with the leftover cash, go after whatever I could get for the Hawks

That seems like a sound investment as Russ is pretty undervalued at present and has the resume where if he can just stay healthy and keep performing, even if he never wins another ring, he should get into the HOF one day.

Would buy every Colin Kaepernick Auto and RC, and Mitchell Trubisky Rookie cards.

This was supposed to be a serious question and I assume you are joking ... right?

Rodgers

He's the youngest out of all the old guard plus he plays on the Packers which has very rabid fans. He should compete for a Super Bowl every year he is healthy and he has the talent to win and not choke. So he could basically become the new Brady once Brady and the rest of the other guys retire.

As Stephen A. Smith would say, "Rodgers is a baaaaaad man" and while I highly doubt he'll ever come close to reaching the same level of "team success" Brady did, even if he never wins another ring, he seems like a shoe-in for the HOF.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

I'd use three criteria;

1. Only TOP players, Brady, Manning (both), Rodgers, etc. And allow for a few other players like JJ Watt & OBJ. But they gotta be superstars, and not just one year wonders.

2. Only top brands. Contenders, NT, Chrome, and SP. Maybe some from base Topps, as it always been the standard football card, was at least. I would not waste money on most cards form other products. Topps Fire for example, and the vast bulk of Panini products.

3. Only pristine 10 copies. Beckett or PSA. I don't usually get into graded cards, and only have a few. Just never willing to spend the money on grading my cards when I can spend it on MORE cards. But if I am buying investment cards, they gotta be investment grades. No point in buying an old Silver Dollar unless it's either perfect, or extremely rare.

They have to be rookie cards. No exceptions. And no parallels. Only the base rookie cards. I might allow for a very few exceptions on this last one, such as a Brady Contenders Championship/100, that only have one or two parallels, but nothing from the modern era of cards that have multiple parallels and even multiple 1/1's. Nothing that can be attached to the word "rainbow" except for the base card. A copy of the now TWO base Contenders rookies would be acceptable, along with rookie SP's from Chrome and base Topps.

A box of cards like this should bring my kids some nice change in the future.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@KiloSportsCards See kilosportscards's Items on eBay Instagram:

I'd probably stick with Marino. I can't hold onto cards for very long so my investment in anything else would get sold or traded for less than what it should..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'd use three criteria;

1. Only TOP players, Brady, Manning (both), Rodgers, etc. And allow for a few other players like JJ Watt & OBJ. But they gotta be superstars, and not just one year wonders.

OBJ? Really? He seems like a very, very, very risky investment, no?

2. Only top brands. Contenders, NT, Chrome, and SP. Maybe some from base Topps, as it always been the standard football card, was at least. I would not waste money on most cards form other products. Topps Fire for example, and the vast bulk of Panini products.

I agree.

3. Only pristine 10 copies. Beckett or PSA. I don't usually get into graded cards, and only have a few. Just never willing to spend the money on grading my cards when I can spend it on MORE cards. But if I am buying investment cards, they gotta be investment grades. No point in buying an old Silver Dollar unless it's either perfect, or extremely rare.

What about BGS 9.5? Also ... would you really demand such high grades on true 1/1s? For example, the Ben Roethlisberger Contenders SB Ticket 1/1 is "only" a BGS 9/10 ... you wouldn't want it?

They have to be rookie cards. No exceptions. And no parallels. Only the base rookie cards. I might allow for a very few exceptions on this last one, such as a Brady Contenders Championship/100, that only have one or two parallels, but nothing from the modern era of cards that have multiple parallels and even multiple 1/1's. Nothing that can be attached to the word "rainbow" except for the base card. A copy of the now TWO base Contenders rookies would be acceptable, along with rookie SP's from Chrome and base Topps.

I agree the cards would have to be RC's ... but ... again, the Big Ben 1/1, you wouldn't want it? If Brady had a Contenders SB Ticket 1/1, even if there were (3) versions, all (3) would be worth infinitely more than his mere Contenders Championship Ticket /100 ... for example, what about the (3) Topps Gold Label 1/1 Peyton Manning RCs that I think "Idol" owns ... you wouldn't want those bad boys?

A box of cards like this should bring my kids some nice change in the future.

Yea buddy it would!

Great post!!!!

Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates

Drew Brees, Brady, Watson (Texans)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'd probably stick with Marino. I can't hold onto cards for very long so my investment in anything else would get sold or traded for less than what it should..

Can't really go wrong with Dan the man! Probably the best pure thrower of the pigskin the game has ever seen! And, personally, I love that he and Barry Sanders never won a ring ... the best pure thrower and the best pure runner and both are ringless ... that is the sort of thing that proves football is the ultimate "team" sport and that TEAMS and not individual players in rings ... it also proves that some players are drastically over-rated due to simply experiencing "team success".

Drew Brees, Brady, Watson (Texans)

Why do you have Watson in there with two of the greatest to ever play? Do you believe in the kid's future that much or is he just a personal fave? I'm curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast