Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Lightning's J.T. Brown received death threats for raised fist

Tampa Bay Lightning winger J.T. Brown said he has received death threats and racist remarks on Twitter after raising his fist during the American anthem Saturday night.

Ahead of Saturday’s game against the Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning forward J.T. Brown raised his fist during the singing of the Star-Spangled Banner. For Brown, one of the few black players in the NHL, it was his way to join the public protests that have permeated sporting events throughout North America and his way to call attention to police brutality and inequality facing minorities.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...22273426528813

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

But according to Mike Ditka, there has been no oppression in America in the last 100 years...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Absolutely sickening people would behave in such a disgusting manner. People shouldn't be afraid to stand up for their convictions. This is what Trump's America is becoming. Stay strong J.T.!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Free speech unless it's what we don't want to hear.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

If it wasn't for that FLAG he would not be making the money he is.
    A Hockey arena during a game is not a platform for your political views--end of story.
    Blackhawks wantlist,Hockey/Baseball traders @ Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

No, sorry, not "end of story." The issue of racial inequality in our society is an uncomfortable conversation that needs to be had. I know it's lost on some people that just because they make a lot of money they might want to protest perceived or real wrongs for the greater good. Life is about more than money. As well, they are choosing this platform for protest because it would start the conversation about inequality, and it is working. When should they protest? At a time or place that doesn't bother anybody? That would defeat the whole point.

Edit:If you don't want political views expressed at sporting events, don't play national anthems. Might help a little.
    Last edited by subban7677; 10-12-2017 at 08:49 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

By all means, lets discuss the """500""" murders thus far in the city of Chicago. Yes, Chicago! Not in Iraq, not in Afghanistan - in Chicago, IL. I'm so glad the Black Jesus spoke about this during his eight-years in the white house - whoops - he barely ever mentioned it. That's okay, all this professional athletes making tens of millions of dollars """playing games""" mention it during every press conference that they give, on the social media accounts on...........oh wait, actually none of them ever do. Tough to blame everything on the old white man, when it's Blacks killing Blacks for nothing more then drugs and territory but by all means, keep kneeling during the anthem.

As a society, we are so lucky that we have rich Liberal Loons looking out for us, telling us how to live and why they know better. I know all the young men and women who have been molested in Hollywood for the past """decades""" are equally appreciative that we have had these people looking out for them. To be fair, the rich Liberal Weinstein apparently did not discriminate - he was open to molesting both whites and blacks.

To the person who posted about not playing national anthems, somewhere out there, the draft-dodgers who's rich Liberal parents sent them to Canada during the Vietnam war would be so proud of you. After your post, did you go out and vandalize a statue or break some store owners windows - to show your one with the people?

Thanks to the men & women of our military and their families for allowing us to live in a country where a sports card trading site even exists.

No, sorry, not "end of story." The issue of racial inequality in our society is an uncomfortable conversation that needs to be had. I know it's lost on some people that just because they make a lot of money they might want to protest perceived or real wrongs for the greater good. Life is about more than money. As well, they are choosing this platform for protest because it would start the conversation about inequality, and it is working. When should they protest? At a time or place that doesn't bother anybody? That would defeat the whole point.

Edit:If you don't want political views expressed at sporting events, don't play national anthems. Might help a little.

Last edited by bdiam; 10-13-2017 at 03:17 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

I don't think I need to comment any further. I think my point is made.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Sports Card Forum mobile app

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Disagree. The moment you're waving the flag, and playing the anthem, you're making it about politics. You're making the event that's about to happen a celebration of the country you're playing in.

I could rant for a while about why I think playing the anthem before club sporting events is needless (I have never watched an NHL, NBA, MLB, or CFL game that did anything to enhance my "national pride" - and I left out the NFL since there is no team this side of the border). This isn't a new thought, I believed it long before taking a knee was a thing.

When they're playing anthems at the game, and people are still buying beer, food, coming through the gate, or getting to their seats (rather than stopping for the few minutes it's playing) are they being disrespectful too? (For the record, my answer to that is "yes they are" but there's 1000s of them per game, and they're not on TV, so nobody really cares).

If it wasn't for that FLAG he would not be making the money he is.
    A Hockey arena during a game is not a platform for your political views--end of story.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

When they're playing anthems at the game, and people are still buying beer, food, coming through the gate, or getting to their seats (rather than stopping for the few minutes it's playing) are they being disrespectful too?

Yes, they are. I haven't seen many games in other cities, but here in St. Louis everyone stops, removes their hats, stands, and turns toward the flags - no one is continuing down to their seats while it is being sung. We show this same respect toward your national anthem when the visiting team is Canadian. BTW, our singer Charles Glen is Black.
    These days some people are self aggrandizing and want more attention to fuel their ego. "Protesting" during the anthem is a great way to get it.
    We've obviously seen our fair share of "protests" in St. Louis as we've watched many of our great neighborhoods get looted and burned in recent years. Instead of having a chance to be concerned with the recent verdict that hit the news here, our attention has turned to what appears to be systemic violence and lack of respect for neighbors. All of this "protesting" has distracted from the true issues and has been a tremendous setback to the cause.
    We might have already had real change if half of the time spent protesting was instead put towards enacting actual solutions and helping people on the street-level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast