Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

RANKING the GREATEST DEFENSIVE PLAYERS EVER

Where does everyone think a current player like JJ Watt or perhaps even Kuechly, Peppers or Sherman rank on an all-time defensive players list? Who are your top 5 or 10?

Personally, I'm thinking:

1. Lawrence Taylor
    2. Dick Butkus
    3. Deion Sanders
    4. Ronnie Lott
    5. Reggie White
    6. JJ Watt
    7. Ray Lewis

* I'd have Watt higher if this was a "best in prime" category rather than a career list

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

there is no way that Ronnie Lott was better than Rod Woodson (and Lott was very good). While you can make the argument that Watt is going to be in the discussion, what is going to derail this is longevity, far or unfair.

Other names to consider
    Deacon Jones
    Bruce Smith
    Joe Greene

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

there is no way that Ronnie Lott was better than Rod Woodson (and Lott was very good). While you can make the argument that Watt is going to be in the discussion, what is going to derail this is longevity, far or unfair.

I agree with you about Watt's longevity being an issue.

However you are the first person I have ever heard say Woodson was better than Lott and that just shocks me ...

Lott is maybe the greatest defensive player of all-time ... he made the Pro Bowl as a CB, SS and FS, won 4 rings, etc.

Personally, I think while both players had great regular season careers, Lott's insane post-season success is what separates him from Woodson.

Both players played in exactly 20 career playoff games. Woodson won a ring and accounted for just 1 pick and 1 fumble recovery while never scoring a TD ... Lott on the other hand won 4 rings and accounted for NINE picks, 2 fumble recoveries and 2 TD's!

When the NFL Network made the Top 100 Players of All-Time list, voted on by a blue-ribbon panel of experts(see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_To...eatest_Players and https://forums.footballguys.com/foru...original-post/) they had Ronnie Lott #11 all-time and Rod Woodson down at #41 all-time ... DBS ahead of Woodson but behind Lott were Deion Sanders and Night Train Lane.
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 10-14-2017 at 05:02 PM.

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

Hard to keep the career Sack leader in Bruce Smith off a Top 10 list. He averaged over 11 sacks a game in his 15 year career in Buffalo. If JJ Watt can keep these freak injuries away for an extensive amount of time, he will be Top 3 in sacks before his career winds down. I also think Ed Reed is an all time great at Safety. Other guy who never gets mentioned and should be in the topic all the time is Kevin Greene.

Transferred Feedback
    TCC(1874)
    Country
    Penn State Nittany Lions Kansas City Royals
    Twitter: @rtsjr1 See thebusfan's Items on eBay

joe greene
    jack lambert

enough said

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

joe greene
    jack lambert

enough said

I agree. A Top 10 list can't have any current stars on it as there are plenty of players who qualify to be on that list.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

^ Mean Joe and Lambert were great .. but neither was a 3-time DPOY like Watt ... you fellas would really rank them both ahead of Watt?

Transferred Feedback
    TCC(1874)
    Country

^ Mean Joe and Lambert were great .. but neither was a 3-time DPOY like Watt ... you fellas would really rank them both ahead of Watt?

you were saying in your post about lott better then woodson your own quote Lott on the other hand won 4 rings

both greeene and lambert 4x each watt zero

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

you were saying in your post about lott better then woodson your own quote Lott on the other hand won 4 rings

both greeene and lambert 4x each watt zero

Rings don't mean much to me but they can be said to separate between otherwise similar players ... Lott and Woodson each were 6 time 1st team all-pros but Lott's numbers in his 20 playoff games are infinitely more impressive than Woodsons and 4 of Lott's playoff games were Super Bowls whereas just one of Woodsons was.

If Mean Joe and Lambert each won three DPOY's I would put them both ahead of Watt due to their post-season excellence outshining Watt ... but Joe one two and Lambert won just one, so put together, in their 24 years of football they only won as many DPOY's as Watt won in a 4 year span ...

I guess it's like the Terrel Davis RB argument ... personally I'd take him over guys who had more long-term success as his prime was so dominant, but I can see the argument for other backs who maintained a high level of play for a longer stretch.

Transferred Feedback
    TCC(1874)
    Country

green 2 x d player of year yeah rank them way higher then watt greene was one of most dominant players ever.

you have for you top players most guys newer not older.Deion Sanders number 3 would not even make my top 30.

look it up about grrene will you see better the watt anyday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast