Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Junk Era Collections - Opinions Wanted!!

First post here on SCF!

I grew up collecting in the junk wax era, and for some reason I still love the stuff to no end. I still collect a little bit of modern stuff, but something about a late 80s wax box just gets me!

I know they made a kabillion cards between about 1986 and 1993, and I know they're essentially worthless, but I'm curious what you all think about an eventual comeback. There are a few reasons why I think/hope we could see an eventual turnaround on this stuff.

1. Natural disasters. Of course I don't want anyone's house to flood or go up in flames. But it happens (a lot recently, with the wildfires and hurricanes). You gotta figure that a fair amount of junk era cards are ruined in floods and fires.

2. People KNOW that they're worthless, and treat them as such. I have personally dumped a bunch of them in the recycling bin. I imagine a lot of you have done likewise. Sometimes it's not even worth the hassle to sort through them and let them take up space, so we just toss them. Plus, a lot of hobby shops literally give them away to kids, who will in turn treat them poorly, as kids do.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

3. People keep opening junk era wax. I still do it for fun, as do many others. Even though there was a ton of supply, people still crack open the boxes, so the supply of unopened cards will always drop.

What are your thoughts? Over the course of time, could we see the once-overwhelming supply drop to the point where there might be demand again? As time keeps ticking, could a box of 1991 Topps baseball actually become rare?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings

Greetings:
    As a set builder I like some of the junk era stuff that I might had missed even though I grew up in the same era when they were released. But there is a lot of hidden stuff to find still in the period. Case in point I passed in 1991 getting Stadium Club baseball cause of the price at the time now I can afford it & it's fun to get them & think of the hot name at the time. Plus some of early years of UD when they had the Baseball Heroes inserts you could possibly get an autograph card plus now the prices are high for these boxes but I used to try to find the 1994 UD All-Time Heroes I lucked out my 1st box I pulled a Mantle autograph the other hidden gem in those is a non-serial numbered insert is a card call Next-in-Line where Derek Jeter is already at $250 plus you could pulled a 1954 archives since Topps didn't have the rights to produce the Ted Williams cards UD offer it along with Mantle to complete anyone who made the 1954 Archives Set. So the junk wax era gave us some great things as well chances of pulling the Rick-Face 1989 Bill Ripken Fleer card. So I would say to to the younger crowd look at these cards see what it was like to pull something other than a Judge,Trout,Harper,etc of today's stars & look how the hobby had evolved to see how many boxes it takes to make a set then or ask about who was the hot card then & see what happened when it was hot & now is in the freezer of a player. See why the company's did what they did or something. Then you'll understand the hobby better.

"Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
    S.R.'75
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I still buy and collect junk era wax. It's a fun, cheap rip. And, I, like others, like to think back to the hobby staples of the past.

Lots of guys from the era sign TTM now, too. So, that brings in a whole new type of collection into the conversation.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What are your thoughts? Over the course of time, could we see the once-overwhelming supply drop to the point where there might be demand again? As time keeps ticking, could a box of 1991 Topps baseball actually become rare?

They will NEVER become rare but contrary to what I thought years ago these will become valuable and you will be able to make money on them. But and it is a big but you won't be rolling in the dough with these.

When I say you can make money on them is that years ago the "junk wax" was basically given away and you couldn't get anything for it. Now you can put out a box of this junk and if it is old enough and famous enough (stuff like 1988 Topps is going to trump brands that only were around for a year or two like 1995 Topps Embossed) you can move it for $5-$10 at flea markets, garage sales, craigslist, card shows, etc. That was unheard of 10 years ago. Plus now the stuff from the early 80s is heating up and moving out of the junk wax era it seems as well. So if you bought all this stuff for bulk years ago and stored it in your attic you could maybe make $100+ now whereas getting $25 years ago would have been a huge payday.

Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Cardinals Oklahoma City Thunder Kansas City Chiefs
    See wizardofoz82's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

My wife, son, and I busted a box of 1991 Upper Deck just a couple of weekends ago because it was a cheap rip. It was fun remembering the thrill of the hunt as we pulled a Michael Jordan SP1 and a Chipper Jones RC out of it.

I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, and Jeff Bagwell.
    Hidden Content - My collection website with galleries, need lists, and trade lists.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale My traders on Flickr

Still love opening/ripping the packs of the stuff! Welcome to SCF!

Football: Emmitt Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, 2006 SP Paul McQuistan and Michael Gallup!
    Non-Sports: Star Wars, Silver Surfer, Thor, NCIS
    Baseball: Aaron Judge, Gleyber Torres, Graig Nettles, Harmon Killebrew, Gary Sanchez and Derek Jeter!

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds

i always wondered the same thing. There is a card shop here in my area that has tons of these 80's cards, still sealed int he wax pack boxes, that they have for sale. most are 10-30 bucks a box, depending. I was kinda hesitant about buying one just due to the fact it would be wasted space. BUT, on the flip side, I like making sets, so it could be another set I create. BUt then I'd have to find a way to find the cards that I am missing. Not sure how many people have the 80's cards sitting around waiting to be traded. I know I don't. I sold all my 80's, and 90's.

Please visit my website for cards available, as well as my set needs
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings

Greetings:
    Cranky if you need help you know that I can try my best to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Sports Card Forum mobile app

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees
    See mrrosado's Items on eBay

I don't think it will ever be valuable. I have about 7k of them because they were dirt cheap. I just pulled three cards and sent them to try to get autographs. That is the fun part of those cards. It also reminds me of my childhood. I gave away my original collection. I was able to get some of those cards back by buying old sealed wax boxes in bulk.

my for trade website can be seen here: Hidden Content
    My for sale on eBay:Hidden Content
    on packrip: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

@crankbait09, I've got plenty for trade, too. Let me know what sets you're interested in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast