Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

but if one is trying to sell these autographed cards, i was under the impression that most, if not all people are hesitant to buy them due to authenticity. I have always been told that it hurts the value of the card to have a signature on it that was not authentically proven by PSA, or some other authenticators.

isnt it your word over theirs whether an auto is in fact a true auto, not someone forging one for a sale
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

That's why you have to get it authenticated. Check the thread recently where a guy bought a Willie Stargell rookie that was autographed and then got it authenticated and sold on eBay. It sold for a ton of money. Much more than anybody on this site thought it could go for.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am saying getting signatures on cards and paying for authentication / grading from PSA.

i am guessing getting a common from 1960 signed and paying for the authentication you may not even come ahead?

So so it would only be worth it to get HOF and rookie cards signed?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just throwing this out there, but... If you are only getting cards signed, or not getting them signed because you think they'll be worth more later, you're doing it wrong. Get cards signed because YOU want them signed. There is a market for signed cards, sure. There was a write up on Beckett's website about how signed RCs are among the most popular cards in the hobby right now. That trend could change next week. Do what you enjoy.

Me? I enjoy graphing at minor league games and getting prospects autographs before they make it to the big leagues. I also enjoy sending TTM requests to players I liked growing up, HOFers, and players with quirky significance to the game. Some are popular players, some might only get one autograph request a year. But, the thing they have in common is they are guys that I want in my personal collection.

Now, there are cards that I won't get signed. I won't get VERY rare RCs signed (because of the rarity), I won't get very nice condition sensitive SPs signed (because of rarity), and I try to avoid getting cards with facsimile autographs (just because I think it looks weird).

Ultimately, though, you gotta collect what YOU like, because if you aren't able to sell it, and you don't enjoy it, there is no reason to have it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings

Greetings:
    Sometimes getting a "common" player as you say might be the missing link to someone or you could have gotten a rare signer as well & you could have made a former player feel great in having to see themselves as a player again. I say that cause I recall sending a few cards to a former player by the name of Joe Hauser who was thrilled to see himself on a card he didn't think anyone created a card for him & offered me $25 for the cards I sent him needless to say that I sold them found extras & he was graciously signed them & sent me a nice thanks in return.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
    S.R.'75
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is really cool and very motivating!

what do you all normally say in your requests? And how do you normally ship them to protect them?

also would you send a specific pen or felt tip type pen for them to sign with so the card doesn't get damaged and the signature lasts longer?
    Last edited by LucasWoods; 10-22-2017 at 06:31 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings

Greetings:
    Generally you could ask them if you don't know much about their career ask the highs & lows about it or if you do know about them find out what places that they liked and dislike to play at or ask about certain events example as I previously mentioned that I wrote to Joe Hauser he played for the Philadelphia A's who when he played Connie Mack was the manager so I asked him what he liked about his Managerial views as well what it was like to play at Shribe Park as well going to the old Yankees Stadium seeing the monuments of Gehrig & Ruth he liked how Ruth ran funny with his skinny legs around his enormous belly & Mr. Mack treated him with respect of how much knowledge he had about certain pitchers that he had success on. So those are some things to ask about as for what type of pen some might have pens others request for certain type of pen as for protection a simple penny sleeve & a top loader in a PWE with a SASE saying on each of the envelopes Photos Enclosed Don't Bend.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lucas,

A request letter doesn't need to be long. I'm new to sending TTM requests, but my typical letter is two very short paragraphs. The first paragraph says something about how long I've been a fan, something I find memorable about their career, and maybe a question (though don't be surprised if you don't get an answer to any questions you ask... That's kind of a bonus when it happens, but definitely isn't the norm). Perhaps something about their lives post playing career (perhaps charity work they have done). The second paragraph is where I ask for the autograph. I send several pieces (unless the player is known to have a strict limit), and offer for them to keep as many cards as they like. If I have any inscription requests or other special notes (such as location of signature), I include those requests here. If they require a donation for a signature, I mention here how much I included. I close by thanking them and wishing them well.

I would recommend sending to players with a high success rate to start out with, to help get your feet wet and build confidence.

Good luck! Have fun!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you all for the input!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @bravesfanfromny See backdoorhippy's Items on eBay

What is PWE?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds