Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question RE: Beckett OPG

Question RE: Beckett OPG

In October of last year, I decided to subscribe to the Beckett Online Price Guide (OPG), the first year I had ever done so. I paid $99 for one year, realizing it was more than I thought it would be, but deciding to treat myself for once. Then last week I got my credit card statement and seen there was another charge for another $99 for another year. Today I called Beckett and ask them if they had a policy of renewing a subscription unless it was cancelled by phone and this is what they told me. When you sign up for OPG, there is a box you have to check saying it is "auto-renewal" and unless you check that box they won't sell you a subscription. I don't remember seeing or checking the box, but there is a lot of things I don't remember these days, partly because of the three surgeries and rehabs I have gone through in the last 14 months. It appears to me this would be unethical business practices. Questions: 1. Is anyone else concerned about this? 2. How do I ever cancel this subscription? 3. Did I sign up for a lifetime of Beckett OPG? To make it worse, today I also got an email saying I could buy a subscription for 25% off, which I might have done except just 10 days ago they auto-renewed it. PLMK your thoughts regarding this matter. Thanks for any feedback.
    I collect Nolan Ryan cards I do not have. I might trade for Ted Williams or Johnny Bench. Advise me if you are out of country before making a trade.

Yeah anytime you buy anything from Beckett, it automatically renews unless you going into your subscriptions and uncheck the auto renew box. It is the same for if you buy a month of organize. I think it is crap that they do this, but that is Beckett for you.
    Always looking for baseball HOF autos and Peyton Manning Autos/Rookies.

Top 5 Most Wanted:
    1. Willie Mays certified autograph (prefer on card)
    2. Babe Ruth game used card (prefer jersey)
    3. Satchel Paige game used card (prefer jersey)
    4. Bo Jackson Royals autograph (prefer on card)
    5. Dan Marino autograph (prefer on card)

I have had this happen to me in the past with other subscriptions. I would simply tell them your mistake and that you no longer use the OPG. You may also mention your new financial position if need be. I would imagine Beckett would credit you back. This would be "good" public relations. Your $99 isn't going to break them.

PS:

I do have these 2 Ryans"

2015 Topps Highlights of the Year #H-22
    2010 Topps The cards your mom Threw Out #CMT76

LMK if interested. I collect Roger Clemens. Thanks, Rich

The box is checked automatically. You have to UNcheck it to cancel auto renewal. If you don't do that then it will renew. Not the other way around.
    Bucket Link - Hidden Content
    All Sports Refractors, Prizms & Numbered - Hidden Content
    Looking for Rookies, Prospects, Color Refractors, Prizms & Lower numbered inserts of Harper, Trout, Bryant, Betts, Benintendi, Judge, Devers, Albies, Acuna, Soto, Steph Curry, Lebron, Westbrook, Harden, Giannis and any other Top Tier Players in any sport - Red Sox, Celtics & Patriots Autos & GU - Star A's Autos - Star Jets Autos - Kobe Bryant Rookie Year Cards - HOF autos

Thanks everyone for the comments and information. They told me today that they could not give me any credit. Roger, I already have the two Ryan cards you listed, but thanks for telling me about them.
    I collect Nolan Ryan cards I do not have. I might trade for Ted Williams or Johnny Bench. Advise me if you are out of country before making a trade.

Yeah they can never give you credit or a refund. It is amazing that they are still in business. I hate dealing with their customer service and won't buy pricing from them.
    Always looking for baseball HOF autos and Peyton Manning Autos/Rookies.

Top 5 Most Wanted:
    1. Willie Mays certified autograph (prefer on card)
    2. Babe Ruth game used card (prefer jersey)
    3. Satchel Paige game used card (prefer jersey)
    4. Bo Jackson Royals autograph (prefer on card)
    5. Dan Marino autograph (prefer on card)

The thing about this is that I was under the impression that "negative option marketing" was illegal. I do know they are not the only ones who do this. If it is not illegal, it should be illegal. You should have to opt in, not opt out.
    Always looking for Graded Vintage (Pre-1980)

That is why I quit buying subscriptions from Beckett! Not a good way to do business for sure.
    Football: Emmitt Smith and Saquon Barkley!
    Non-Sports: Star Wars, Silver Surfer, Thor
    Baseball: Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Harmon Killebrew, Graig Nettles, Miguel Andujar, Gleyber Torres and Derek Jeter!

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bakemeister52 View Post
    That is why I quit buying subscriptions from Beckett! Not a good way to do business for sure.
    Rob- Unfortunatelt Dr. Beckett sold his company in 2005. Unfortunately also they are the name in card Book Values. Their customer service is awful.
    Always looking for Graded Vintage (Pre-1980)

I have had that happen to me once before with beckett. Like mentioned before you have to uncheck the auto renewal on beckett in your profile under subscriptions. They offer no refunds or credit... I always double check in my paypal profile on auto renewal things just to be safe. Also don't give them your phone number as you will get annoying calls with specials they are offering near your subscription end.

Picked these up in a trade several weeks at a card show. Most likely looking to sell but would consider trading.

2003 Absolute Memorabilia Glass Plaques #214 Nolan Ryan Astros Jsy-Jsy 99/100

2003 Absolute Memorabilia Glass Plaques #153 Mark Mulder AU-Jsy/25
    TRADING FOR (1) GREG MADDUX (2) HOF GU/AUTOS (3) 2006-2015 A&G RELICS (4) 2008 UD HEROES #D

CLICK HERE FOR - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast