Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The future state of qb play in the nfl

Lots of folks are lamenting the end of Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning and Rivers and saying that the NFL has a QB problem ... but I honestly believe nothing could be further from the truth and think that we are going to see some of the greatest league-wide QB play in the future!

Here's how I see the current group of older QBs being replaced and in some cases surpassed:

Tom Brady ... replaced by Aaron Rodgers (the best gets replaced by the new best)

Drew Brees ... replaced by Jameis Winston (Jameis' career stats would make even Brees blush and barring injury he'll own the record books one day)

Ben Roethlisberger ... replaced by Carson Wentz (Wentz is a more athletic Big Ben right now and may only get better)

Eli Manning ... replaced by Andrew Luck (and Luck, if healthy, is far better than Eli ever was)

Philip Rivers ... replaced by Derek Carr (same division and everything)

Alex Smith ... replaced by Dak Prescott (an older efficient check-down game manager replaced with a much younger efficient check-down game manager)

Jay Cutler ... replaced by Mitch Trubisky (the bane of Bears fan's existence replaced by their new favorite whipping boy)

Colin Kaepernick ... replaced by Marcus Mariota (The Titans are building a solid team that Mariota could ride to a SB the same way Kap rode the 49'ers)

Joe Flacco ... replaced by Matt Stafford (Stafford seems to have the clutch gene Flacco had, and is already a way better QB than Flacco ever was)

Carson Palmer ... replaced by Jared Goff (Goff may not have the arm talent Palmer had but he's got a QB whisperer in his corner in McVay)

And that still leaves young-guns like Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and others waiting in the wings as well.

What say you? Is the NFL QB position declining or are we in for a treat with the current crop of young-guns?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I meant to add a poll but missed the 5 minute limit ... it would have been:

Q. Is the NFL QB Position in good hands?

- Yes!

- No!

- Only if Brett Favre comes out of retirement again

- Only if Brett Favre stays retired

HAHAHAHAHA

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Injuries are what is killing the NFL with the QB position. They are doing their best to protect hits on the QBs but when stars like Rodgers, Luck, and now Watson are not playing that isn't a good thing as their backups are brutal.
    Hidden Content - use the drop down box at the top left to view all my other albums
    Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector - I collect Lucky 13 Football RCs (04-07 all versions). Also like current Braves (Acuna/Albies/Dansby/Soroka/Strider/Riley/Harris/Fried, etc.), Mike Trout, Juan Soto, Roger Federer.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Injuries are what is killing the NFL with the QB position. They are doing their best to protect hits on the QBs but when stars like Rodgers, Luck, and now Watson are not playing that isn't a good thing as their backups are brutal.

I take it you don't believe Brett Hundley is the second coming of Warren Moon? Hahahaha ... in all seriousness I agree with you 100%

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've been saying for years that the league is going to face a QB problem in the future and it is still coming. The amount of kids getting into football is dropping, the injuries are either ending or shortening careers, and the league continues to expand the number of teams (and plans to expand even more in the future). This spells trouble and I see no reversal of this. It might get "better" because you will have draft years that are better than others but in the long run the elite QB will be about as rare as an elite center in the NBA.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I've been saying for years that the league is going to face a QB problem in the future and it is still coming. The amount of kids getting into football is dropping, the injuries are either ending or shortening careers, and the league continues to expand the number of teams (and plans to expand even more in the future). This spells trouble and I see no reversal of this. It might get "better" because you will have draft years that are better than others but in the long run the elite QB will be about as rare as an elite center in the NBA.

I think you're right about less kids playing and expansion leading to worse QB down the road ... but as the game is also being turned into flag football and RB's are already extremely devalued, the QBs will probably be even bigger stars than they are now, no?

I'd hate to see the day NFL QBs are like NCAA QBs though and you've got guys who can't even throw a football QBing great teams due to their scheme being great ... that would be sad ...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Carson Wentz is having a Marino-esque 2nd season which is great for the league, especially with Rodgers and Deshaun Watson out for the year, Jameis banged up, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton (last two NFL MVP's) having horrible statistical seasons, etc.

I also can't help but be a little excited for the Buccaneers and Raiders as they were both expected to make the playoffs coming into the year, both have awesome young QBs, yet both team's defenses (especially the Bucs with their historically bad defense) are atrocious and both teams need a ton of help! I honestly wouldn't mind the Bucs letting Jameis rest his shoulder the rest of the year and all-out tanking, getting a top 3 pick and trading down for a ton of help the way the Titans did after they were a disaster in Mariota's rookie season ... and they now have a solid roster all the way around.

The Texans may even want to go into all-out TANK mode as well as Tom Save is a disaster and they have no shot at winning that division without Watson I don't think ... and while they do have a quality roster, JJ Watt may not be able to be depended on anymore and they may want to either draft another top-flight DE or an OL.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Jets
    My traders on Flickr

- Only if Brett Favre comes out of retirement again
    Check out my Collection!
    Hidden Content
    if the offer is right I will deal anything
    I am a collector of the New York JetsHidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (145)
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Washington Redskins
    See HollaMV7's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Carson Wentz is having a Marino-esque 2nd season which is great for the league, especially with Rodgers and Deshaun Watson out for the year, Jameis banged up, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton (last two NFL MVP's) having horrible statistical seasons, etc.

I also can't help but be a little excited for the Buccaneers and Raiders as they were both expected to make the playoffs coming into the year, both have awesome young QBs, yet both team's defenses (especially the Bucs with their historically bad defense) are atrocious and both teams need a ton of help! I honestly wouldn't mind the Bucs letting Jameis rest his shoulder the rest of the year and all-out tanking, getting a top 3 pick and trading down for a ton of help the way the Titans did after they were a disaster in Mariota's rookie season ... and they now have a solid roster all the way around.

The Texans may even want to go into all-out TANK mode as well as Tom Save is a disaster and they have no shot at winning that division without Watson I don't think ... and while they do have a quality roster, JJ Watt may not be able to be depended on anymore and they may want to either draft another top-flight DE or an OL.

Wentz is the MVP of the league thus far. He is playing lights out and is fun to watch.

Jameis needs to sit. He is obviously injured and that offense has been horrid lately. Plus he was acting like a moron on the sideline to start that fight which involved Evans. Bucs are a bad team right now. Koetter has no control over that team.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Wentz is the MVP of the league thus far. He is playing lights out and is fun to watch.

I'd still bet on Brady to win MVP over Wentz but he may pull a Marino and grab an MVP in his 2nd year which would be cool! I found it interesting how Broncos DB Chris Harris said the Eagles are using a "college offense" ... but hey, if it works, so what?

Jameis needs to sit. He is obviously injured and that offense has been horrid lately.

I agree; he's got an AC Joint sprain AND a deep deltoid bruise and his line isn't very good so it's getting re-aggravated game in and game out it seems. I know he wants to play through the pain and all but he needs to listen to the team docs and take a long-term view ... he doesn't want to become the next Andrew Luck!

Plus he was acting like a moron on the sideline to start that fight which involved Evans.

Did you see the whole thing or just hear about it? Lattimore was on the Bucs sideline and Jameis told Lattimore to go to his own sideline and then just pointed at the back of his helmet so the official would see and throw a flag on Lattimore ... Jameis kept pointing and touched the back of Lattimore's helmet and Lattimore reacted like the punk by shoving Jameis ... Mike Evans than blasted Lattimore which was stupid but understandable in football ... however in no way did Jameis act like a moron or even do anything bad at all ... he was trying to help his team by drawing a penalty on Lattimore and honestly had Evans not came and nailed Lattimore, he probably would have done just that.

Bucs are a bad team right now. Koetter has no control over that team.

This is Koetter's first NFL Head Coaching gig and he was just given the job as Lovie Smith was horrible and he was Jameis' coordinator ... he isn't really qualified to be a head coach at the NFL level and does seem entirely over his head.

It wouldn't shock me to see the Bucs give him one more year next year but it also wouldn't shock me and I sure wouldn't complain to see them fire him and offer the job to any or all of the following: Bruce Arians, Jim Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, Patriots D Coordinator Matt Patriscia (sp?)

In good news, Jameis did hit the 10,000 passing yards mark today ... he was 4 days older than Drew Bledsoe so was technically the 2nd youngest to do so, but when Bledsoe did it he had 49 career TD passes and 53 career interceptions while Jameis has 60 career TD passes and just 39 career picks.
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 11-05-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast