Having some fun during the Hot Stove Season

This time of year, we all have our opinions about what our favorite baseball team should do to get better through trades and free agent signings. So let's play GM. Everyone take your team and go. Please remember that none of us actually are GMs and this is completely for fun. I'm taking the Brewers.
    I'd sign resign Neil Walker. Then call Houston. I'd trade Cory Knebel, Junior Guerra, and Jacob Barnes for Lance McCullers Jr, Ken Giles, and Mike Fiers. Then a call to Texas, trade Eric Thames for Roughned Odor. I'd call the Mets and trade Keon Broxton and Jett Bandy for 2 Triple A pitchers. I'd call the Dodgers and trade them Eric Sogard for 1 Triple A pitcher. Then resign Stephen Voght. Here is my 25 man roster.
    STARTERS
    1B Neil Walker (free agent signee)
    2B Roughned Odor (Acquired through trade w/Texas for Eric Thames)
    SS Orlando Arcia
    3B Travis Shaw
    LF Brett Phillips
    CF Lewis Brinson
    RF Domingo Santana
    C Manny Pina
    SP Lance McCullers Jr (acquired through trade with Houston)
    SP Chase Anderson
    SP Zach Davies
    SP Brent Sutter
    SP Mike Fiers (acquired through trade with Houston)
    RP Jared Hughes
    RP Carlos Torres
    RP Jeremy Jeffress
    RP Anthony Swarzack (free agent signee)
    RP Ken Giles (acquired in trade with Houston)
    CP Josh Hader
    BENCH
    Ryan Braun (anybody want a former MVP?)
    Stephen Voght
    Hernon Perez (Mr Everywhere)
    Jesus Aguilar
    Jonathan Villar
    IR
    Jimmy Nelson
    No, I would not sign Arrieta.
    Last edited by Dave Gollnick; 11-17-2017 at 12:23 AM.
    Collecting Topps Brewers, and PCs of Jonathan Lucroy, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, and Ken Griffey Jr. Have a want list that's titled "My want Topps".

2. Find Baseball Cards on Kronozio!!
    This sounds like fun. None of this is likely to happen and even if it did Matheny would manage to screw it up. However a guy can dream so here's what I'd do.

St. Louis Cardinals

Transactions:
    1. Trade Dakota Hudson, Sandy Alcantara, Randal Grichuk, and Aledmys Diaz to Miami for Giancarlo Stanton and $5 million per year post opt out. Sell him on the tradition somehow to waive the NTC. If he wants to play where it's warm and lose fine, but I bet he'd rather win and play in St. Louis than lose on the Padres or Marlins the next three years.
    2. Resign Juan Nicasio
    3. Sign Mike Minor

Batting Order/Lineup:
    1. 1B: Matt Carpenter
    2. LF: Dexter Fowler
    3. RF: Giancarlo Stanton (not a proponent of your best hitter in the third spot but with two OBP doubles machines in front of him I'll make an exception)
    4. CF: Tommy Pham
    5. 3B: Jedd Gyorko
    6. SS: Paul DeJong
    7. 2B: Kolten Wong
    8. C: Yadier Molina
    9. P

Bench:
    Stephen Piscotty, Jose Martinez/Luke Voit (whichever wins the job in spring training), Greg Garcia, Carson Kelly (start him every fifth day catching Flaherty), Harrison Bader

Rotation:
    1. Carlos Martinez
    2. Michael Wacha
    3. Luke Weaver
    4. Adam Wainwright
    5. Jack Flaherty

Bullpen:
    Tyler Lyons, Mike Minor, Juan Nicasio, Brett Cecil, Sam Tuivailala, John Brebbia, John Gant

DL:
    Alex Reyes - He'll be working out as a starter and stretched out so put him in the rotation when he comes back and bump Flaherty or Wainwright to pen. I'd prefer Flaherty to save innings but either/or depending on performance. If his rehab goes long then put Reyes in the pen and let the fastball rip in 2-3 inning stretches to lighten Flaherty's or Wainwright's workload later in the year.
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 11-16-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, and Jeff Bagwell.
    Hidden Content - My collection website with galleries, need lists, and trade lists.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

Well done
    Collecting Topps Brewers, and PCs of Jonathan Lucroy, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, and Ken Griffey Jr. Have a want list that's titled "My want Topps".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gollnick View Post
    Well done
    Still wavering about signing another known starting pitcher. I love the Cardinals' young pitching but it is still young pitching and I don't know how much Waino has left in the tank.
    Hidden Content - My collection website with galleries, need lists, and trade lists.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content

Not a sox fan, but live up here. Sox fans are fairly enthralled at the prospect of acquiring Stanton.
    Dombrowski has a win now attitude, and has shown no lack of enthusiasm at trading prospects.
    The sox still have the assets,... and the money Groome,Benintendi,Chavis,Travis,possibly Devers, instead of one of
    the others, can't see them giving him up. ....for Stanton.

Let's see what happens . This should be a good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
    Not a sox fan, but live up here. Sox fans are fairly enthralled at the prospect of acquiring Stanton.
    Dombrowski has a win now attitude, and has shown no lack of enthusiasm at trading prospects.
    The sox still have the assets,... and the money Groome,Benintendi,Chavis,Travis,possibly Devers, instead of one of
    the others, can't see them giving him up. ....for Stanton.

Let's see what happens . This should be a good thread.
    You can never count Dombrowski out when it comes to emptying a farm system for an established star.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content

I'll try a different take on the Cardinals...

Trade Mike Matheny for a bag of baseballs.

Have current bat boy manage team.

Win division.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsAndPhils View Post
    I'll try a different take on the Cardinals...

Trade Mike Matheny for a bag of baseballs.

Have current bat boy manage team.

Win division.
    I'd be fine with that too.
    Needs List:
    Hidden Content

I'll take a stab at the Dodgers, and potentially embarrass myself, as I'm not as smart as most of you guys
    The Dodgers have the highest payroll, and they are becoming like the hated Yankees of the 1980's spending 50% more than the next highest payroll
    and spending double the league average, and spending 6x the lowest payroll
    The Dodgers will trade Puig for Stanton, and absorb all of Stanton's salary, the only team in the league willing to do that. They will throw in an almost ready for the big leagues minor leaguer, maybe the #10 prospect, and Ross Stripling pitcher.
    Then they will sign Shohei Otani
    They will go after a closer, not sure who, who they will make their 7th inning guy

1B - Cody Bellinger
    2B - Logan Morrison
    3B - Justin Turner
    SS - Corey Seager
    CF - Chris Taylor
    LF - Joc Pederson / Andrew Toles platoon
    RF - Stanton
    C - Austin Barnes
    bench is Yasmani Grandal #2 catcher + Kiki Hernandez jack of all trades + Trace Thompson + Alex Verdugo RC
    Utley and Ethier retire
    Adrian Gonzalez gets parked on the 10 day DL for most of the season

SP's
    Clayton Kershaw
    S Otani
    Kenta Maeda
    Rich Hill
    Alex Wood
    Julio Urias
    [6 man rotation, though Kershaw might throw every 5th]

Bull Pen - Closer Kenley Jansen, 8th inning Brandon Morrow, 7th the guy they pick up, Cingrani & Watson are also key guys
    spot starter, long reliever Walker Buehler and H J Ryu [and ready to move up to starter in the rotation, as guys get put on the DL]
    mop up guys are McCarthy & Kazmir [though 1 or both get dangled for trade for the closer they want to pick up]

Darvish is not signed / cut loose and Friedman talks austerity [unless they are forced to sign him and find a place for him, because Otani wants him around]
    Josh Fields is offered in trade, Pedro Baez is offered in trade
    I don't know what happens to Ravin, Stewart, Avilan & Liberatore, I guess they battle for the last spot [and get sent down - but also are available for trade]

#3 catcher Farmer goes back to the minors, but gets a call up in Sept
    Rob Segedin battles Trace Thompson for the 25th spot on the roster.
    Collecting - Semi "Master collecting" 2012 Topps BB - [+ 12 Topps Chrome, 12 Topps mini On Line, 12 Topps Opening Day] - 2012 Panini Prizm BB prizm - green, blue, red, gold, ice, pulsar [trade only] - Prefer trades of $30 bv min. PWE trades ok for small trades. It's just a hobby. Have fun and be fair.