I disagree that BGS is the way to go, even for modern cards. I think this is "old school" thinking. Here is some data:

Last 10 PSA 10 Crosby YG's sold on EBay

Average Sales Price: $1035.00

Last 10 9.5 Crosby YG"s sold on EBay

Average Sales Price $900.00

Grading:

BGS 9.5's or higher, 72% of population submitted

PSA 10, 74% of population submitted.

Your odds appear relatively the same. And if you can get a PSA 10 over a BGS 9.5, why wouldn't you??

Now the caveat to that will be the condition of your card. Because if you can get a BGS 10, that is DEFINITELY the way to go, but those odds are tougher at only 5%. But they sell for closer to $2,000.

PSA 10's outsell BGS 9.5's ALL DAY LONG. Look at Matthews SP Authentic Future Watch RC /999 for a recent example. It's not even close.

Derek K.

I'd use PSA for pre-war cards. Otherwise, I'll take BGS 9.5 over PSA 10 all day for a couple of reasons.

One, the BGS encapsulation process is better in my opinion. PSA just puts their cards in the in the case by itself. At least BGS takes the time to put the soft sleeve you send the card with into their thicker case. Also, I have full use of one hand - the other is double-jointed - so I tend to drop cards when handling them now and then. I have found PSA cases are easier to break open. I dropped one on a hardwood floor a few years back. The case shattered and the card went flying.

I have also been duped on ebay by someone I bought a supposed PSA 10 off of. The description and the scan were great. When I got the card, the serial number did not match and there was a very noticeable corner ding. The seller had cracked open a case, put a less-than-10 copy of the card I bought, put it in there and sold it to me as a gem mint. I have dropped BGS cases many times on all types of flooring and have yet to even put a split in the case.

Two, as @MNwild10 stated, PSA 10 goes to Gem Mint. That's as high as it goes. I guess they don't believe in the possibility of "the perfect card". A BGS 10 is Pristine. For me it doesn't matter about sale value; the reason I go with BGS is safety. I think the BGS cases look nicer when displayed as well.

I currently have over 100 BGS 9.5 rookie cards (the vast majority of those are SP Authentic RCs) and they look OH SO GOOD when displayed in person or in my Flickr album!