Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Football autos on non-official jerseys

Hi everyone--

This is my first ever SCF post! My son is a big fan of somewhat older (70s-00s) football players. There are a couple of eBay sellers who sell autos of players on custom jerseys. For example, there would be a Marshall Faulk or Orlando Pace auto, and the auto has a COA and seems totally legit, but its on a jersey that is not only not game-worn, but does not seem to be official NFL merchandise (it appears that they are custom made jerseys, and look like the player's jersey (and are nice). The seller(s) are completely transparent about all of this, and it is not a matter of any kind of ill will, but I guess my question is about how valued/valuable/likely to hold their value such things would be. On one hand the autos seem legit and have COA etc, but the jersey thing has me wondering. It's a way to get an X-mas present of someone like Faulk or Pace or Theismann for like $50-75 on an "actual" jersey, but like I say not sure if this is a bad investment for him...

Thank you for any thoughts--this is totally not my area!

All best, jeff

SCF Rewards
    Country

Personally, I don't worry about the item signed as much as the authenticity of the auto. I have many custom made and non-licensed pieces autographed that I love as much if not more than official ones. If you trust the auto is legit then I would be fine with it. If you want to share the link I would give you my opinion on the sig, and sure others here would as well if you aren't comfortable with that. Don't just trust it because it has a COA< you have to know the backstory of the COA, where /who its from, etc.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Personally, I don't worry about the item signed as much as the authenticity of the auto. I have many custom made and non-licensed pieces autographed that I love as much if not more than official ones. If you trust the auto is legit then I would be fine with it. If you want to share the link I would give you my opinion on the sig, and sure others here would as well if you aren't comfortable with that. Don't just trust it because it has a COA< you have to know the backstory of the COA, where /who its from, etc.

Thank you--this is very helpful!

1. Here is a sample link--it seems legit as a signature to this novice (and the seller is clear about it being a custom item):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Theisma...19.m1438.l2649

2. In terms of investment value, is the fact that it is on a (custom-made) jersey help? I imagine I could get an 8 x 10 auto for less.

Thanks again!

SCF Rewards
    Country

For an investment, yes, an 8x10 may be better than a custom jersey, but the price difference negates it to me as a jersey is more than a picture $ wise (I hope that makes sense, not quite awake yet). I don't think that jersey would be a bad investment if he would like the jersey-need to buy more of what you would want as an item over investment IMO. Personally as a collector I would rather have that jersey over an 8x10, but know some people prefer displaying pictures so its all in what your son would like better. I bought my dad an autographed Al Kaline custom jersey for Christmas last year and he cried.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Incredibly helpful! Thanks so much & happy Txgiving to you and yours. Jeff

SCF Rewards
    Country

I personally enjoy signed jerseys better. As an investment 8x10's are probably better than an unofficial jersey. However, if it is for your son he may enjoy the jersey better. I have three NFL jerseys myself; Troy Polamalu, Tony Dorsett and Dan Marino. Also, remember to think about the cost of framing (if you end up getting it framed). Jersey frames are quite high in terms of price while photo frames you can probably pick up from a hobby lobby. Good Luck!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks! I took the plunge and got a Ray Guy jersey for my son (he likes punters, kickers, and offensive lineman, go figure), and I think it is going to be great. Thank you for the helpful comments!

Transferred Feedback
    TCC(1874)
    Country
    Penn State Nittany Lions Kansas City Royals
    Twitter: @rtsjr1 See thebusfan's Items on eBay

site

www.tseshop.com
    lots of autos jersey photos pucks bats balls always sales also