Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is someone trying to scam me on eBay?? Auston Matthews Ice 83/99 BGS 9.5!?!?!

Hi everyone,

Had to bring this to the forums since there are a few red flags for this card after I paid the seller on eBay and did my research.

Item #282741176331

So, yesterday early afternoon I was looking at ice /99 cards and I seen a Matthews BGS 9.5 pop up (Newly listed) for $2500 CAD BUY NOW! No best offer.
    I clicked on the buy now extremely fast when I know what these cards have sold for recently specially a 9.5! Plus free shipping! How can you go wrong!

This seller had this card listed on eBay at a starting price of $3750 then listed the card for a buy now price of $2500??? That’s not all... I had to come in contact with the seller since that’s my routine with all my purchases on eBay.

Also, look at the title of the listing. Auston spelt (Austin) & Matthews spelt (Mattews). You would think an expensive purchase like this you would have your listing perfect! I didn’t care at the time since the price was a no brainer.

So the seller shipped the card already (yesterday). Mind you, I paid right when I clicked the buy now. He sent me a picture of the card again (different background) with the receipt from the post office underlining my postal code on the receipt. He first said to me “I will get this card sent out right after work for you” Then a few hours later when the card got shipped out he said his wife shipped the card out...

That’s not all... He also said that he has to many Matthews ice /99 BGS 9.5 Rookies. Maybe so but I doubt it! Said that he paid $3400 for the one I purchased off this seller 83/99! So I am in the middle of playing this game. Hoping I am just over concerned and there won’t be a problem but my gut says this will be going in the wrong direction... Tracking says Nov 23 I will receive my package. I will let everyone know what I end up with.

Please comment and tell me what you think about this transaction.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Looking for Crosby/McDavid/Gretzky Rookies! Hidden Content

2. Kronozio
    I tried to search the item number - it doesn't seem to exist.

It looks like this card was previously sold on Oct. 22nd by a different seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTON-MATT...-/391899180128

And your seller did have a positive feedback from this seller in the past month so he may be legit?

Did you look up this seller before clicking on BIN? He has 0 feed back as a seller, but he is a 100% feedback as a buyer.
    I probably wouldn't sweat it if it was the same card with the same grading by the same company. But make sure you take snapshots of the auction picture to match the serial #, you would have a legitimate complaint as the item under auction is not the same item the buyer wins. Nowhere in the auction does it state that a different item than the one pictured will be sent to the winner.

What bugs me is he bought the card for $4K USD and then a month latter sells it for less than half of what he paid? Throws up a red flag right there for me.
    PCs: Brian Elliott, Alex Pietrangelo, Vladimir Tarasenko, Colton Parayko

Currently Looking for 2006-07 ITG Making the Bigs Mike Glumac Gold and Silver Jersey Cards and The Cup Mike Glumac Printing Plates.

Now there is something you don't see every day. Scam and Ebay in the same title
    Traders:Hidden Content

Wantlist:Hidden Content

The want list at this link features what I need of Giroux, Couturier, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous set. If you have nothing from it I will consider CFL cards, current Senators, Carey Price, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy (Habs), vintage hockey (pre 1970) and trade bait.

Thanks and Happy Trading.

Obviously he's not concern with making a profit....

Sent from my SM-G390W using Sports Card Forum mobile app

I hope you get the card ..hate to see you get screwed ...good luck and please let us know

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ive bought a fair bit on eBay and there's no "glaring red flags" jumping out at me based on your description above. I do agree about some of the potential things pointed out by others above. As for the spelling issues, that wouldn't scare me too much because a lot of people can't spell lol and Auston isn't as common as Austin. As for selling it for less than he paid, I see that all the time. People impulse buy things on a whim and then sell at a loss as they have lost interest. Perhaps the seller needs Christmas money? I don't blame you for being worried, Ive never paid close to that for a card but if I did, Id want everything perfect too.
    Rookie Card Collector:
    Auston Matthews
    Mitch Marner
    William Nylander

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast