Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @@plmcguire87

Beckett OPG vs Paper Copy

I searched around for this topic and didn't come across anything. What are peoples preferences? Is the OPG worth the annual $99? I'm just getting back into the hobby and am looking to catalogue all my old and new cards before I start trading on here.

Thanks,

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Hi,

Welcome back to the hobby!

There are people who use book value when trading, but there are others who trade based on the average sales figures on ebay.

Personally, I'm a book value guy. Is it worth the price? Well, I think the cost is a little steep myself, but since I will always refer to BV when trading, the OPG is a key tool for me.

Up to you!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Depends on how you wish to trade / sell cards .... based on average ebay sales or based on beckett values.

I dont believe BVs and SVs have anything to do with each other, and when selling a card the current BV should not matter. I do understand using it as a trading tool.

As someone who uses ebay completed sales + my own thoughts on how much a card is worth, I do not buy any Beckett Magazines throughout the year. If a trade was to come up where the other member wants to use Beckett Values, I assume they would be able to provide me the information we need to complete a deal.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'd say it depends on what you have and what you're after. For low to mid-end stuff, and for taking stock of what you have, the Beckett OPG is a valuable resource. It has an ORG (Organizer) that you add to, which allows you to trade with other traders that update their ORG. It sounds good in theory but is extremely time-consuming, I struggle to keep up with my lists on there while trading on here and other sites. There is only a handful of active traders on there, subscribers are dropping like flies which is sad, because this a great place to go in order to find particular cards and make low-end trades. It is frustrating to find a user that has a card I need that has not been active since 2009.

If you are into higher-end or new highly-sought after stuff I would say completed sales are the most accurate way to evaluate a card's value.

I'm more of a lower-end trader and I always get a return on my Beckett subscription that makes it worth the fee but I wish there were more traders on there.

Best of luck with the hobby, always good to see new collectors!!
    Last edited by gfel2795; 11-23-2017 at 03:23 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you mean the monthly price guide it is not as complete as the OPG. Also the OPG gets you the new prices and new products listings far quicker.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

The part I see in your post where you are looking to catalogue your cards actually can be applied to the Inventory Manager we have here on SCF. Albeit it does not have a price guide applied to it. It is free to use, and you can implement your own value to the cards you have. There are many search options including one where you can see who has cards on your want list. Plus the checklists are updated frequently by our team, and we strive to be far more acurate than the BOPG. Basically it's put together by us collectors that listen to the masses, and we work for you to deliver a solid IM platform.

Give it a look. See what you think. Just click on the Inventory Manager link at the top of the page.
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm into low, medium & high-end so I think I will just have to use multiple tools.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

The part I see in your post where you are looking to catalogue your cards actually can be applied to the Inventory Manager we have here on SCF. Albeit it does not have a price guide applied to it. It is free to use, and you can implement your own value to the cards you have. There are many search options including one where you can see who has cards on your want list. Plus the checklists are updated frequently by our team, and we strive to be far more acurate than the BOPG. Basically it's put together by us collectors that listen to the masses, and we work for you to deliver a solid IM platform.

Give it a look. See what you think. Just click on the Inventory Manager link at the top of the page.

I will definitely be checking this out.